Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:38:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 99 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 92498 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: February 26, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »

Wow Dice, that is an awesome and thorough response! Super quick too!!

I would be playing like this http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13632.0 (My ultimate PSP experience post) if I chose Eternia.

So it is indeed down to Symphonia or Eternia next for me as far as the Tales games go. I'm really thinking Eternia might be the winner here for me. What you said about the world map REALLY has me intrigued, and I already own it (big plus).

Thank you again for your help. I feel like your tastes are extremely similar to my own and your favoring Eternia as you do makes this all the easier for me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: February 26, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »

Wow Dice, that is an awesome and thorough response! Super quick too!!

I would be playing like this http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=13632.0 (My ultimate PSP experience post) if I chose Eternia.

So it is indeed down to Symphonia or Eternia next for me as far as the Tales games go. I'm really thinking Eternia might be the winner here for me. What you said about the world map REALLY has me intrigued, and I already own it (big plus).

Thank you again for your help. I feel like your tastes are extremely similar to my own and your favoring Eternia as you do makes this all the easier for me.

First off, I absolutely *love* your giant PSP set up.  I actually have that cable to connect the PSP-to-TV and I'm thinking I might be having drunk/high gaming nights like that this summer. 

Second, like I said, if the "Volt Glitch" happens, let me know.  Hopefully you don't (you can tell yourself if the firmware for the game is 2.0 or lower.

Third, if you play, please post here and/or on the game journal so I can geek out with you. :)  Or take a picture for the PSP thread you made while playing!  :D

I'm also really glad I could help.  Please don't discount Symphonia from a future play though; I know you liked Vesperia so it's practically the "Junior" version of that game.  One thing I've always admired about you is that yes we do have similar tastes, but also that the age of a game doesn't seem to faze you from a good experience. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: February 26, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »

Dice, seriously that is an AWESOME read, I thank you as well being relatively late to the Tales series. Abyss was my first and since then I've only finihed Vesperia and Graces f, although I do own Legendia and Symphonia (GC version).

Everything's Eventual
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »

Phantasia was my first, and might still be my favorite.  Dice's commentary on it is 100% right.  Lady knows her Tales Of. 

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: February 26, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »

Probably not adding too much to the discussion but...

Tales of Destiny R is excellent.  IMHO it is probably the best "2D" tales.   It is vastly superior to the original version.  Also loved its music.  I should also add that the game is quite import friendly.

Also - pretty much completely agrees with Dice's response.  I would only add that IMO ToS Chronicles probably offers the best experience overall out of the four.  You get two great games (ok the sequel is alright...) with a good price on a modern console.  The graphics is not outdated and still looks great.  The combat is one of the high point of the series.  The story is quite good with some interesting themes (I think it's better than xillia and vesperia), and probably out of all the modern tales (ones after and including ToS), the best overall tales game.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »

Symphonia was my favorite overall until Xillia came along.  Although judging by these posts I guess I'm in the minority.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

Symphonia was my favorite overall until Xillia came along.  Although judging by these posts I guess I'm in the minority.

I like pretty much ALL Tales games.  But I think there's a few key issues that really bogged Xillia down.

...won't lie the copy/paste sea ports were definitely enough to take off a full letter grade for me (this sort of extrapolates to the world's most boring world map ever made).

Probably not adding too much to the discussion but...

Tales of Destiny R is excellent.  IMHO it is probably the best "2D" tales.   It is vastly superior to the original version.  Also loved its music.  I should also add that the game is quite import friendly.

Also - pretty much completely agrees with Dice's response.  I would only add that IMO ToS Chronicles probably offers the best experience overall out of the four.  You get two great games (ok the sequel is alright...) with a good price on a modern console.  The graphics is not outdated and still looks great.  The combat is one of the high point of the series.  The story is quite good with some interesting themes (I think it's better than xillia and vesperia), and probably out of all the modern tales (ones after and including ToS), the best overall tales game.

Yeah you're right lava.  I should have said that.  Indeed!  Symphonia of the early batch is definitely the most epic in scope and best as a whole.

Thanks Monsoon, thanks Bytor.  I do value 'Fanner opinions as well.  Those responses are probably more the "consensus" opinion then what I feel.  I'd actually probably never play Phantasia again unless it was for a PS4 remake.

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1132 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »

Bytor, I wouldn't even bother with Legendia. That game felt like such wasted potential it isn't even funny.

It'll be interesting to see how Symphonia holds up. That was my first Tales game, before I knew the series cliches, and it just holds a special place in my video game heart. I also think I like DotNW more than a few of the people here. I'll agree that it doesn't hold a candle to the first game, and Emil can be reaaaallly annoying early on, but I dig it.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1133 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »

Bytor, I wouldn't even bother with Legendia. That game felt like such wasted potential it isn't even funny.

It'll be interesting to see how Symphonia holds up. That was my first Tales game, before I knew the series cliches, and it just holds a special place in my video game heart. I also think I like DotNW more than a few of the people here. I'll agree that it doesn't hold a candle to the first game, and Emil can be reaaaallly annoying early on, but I dig it.

I liked DotNW because (a) It had a better title than the Japanese version, and (b) it's good for the bored sunday afternoon.  It's "acceptable" but I hate that it clearly looks like a budgeted, half-hearted continuation of a game that otherwise really did "hold a special place in their video game hearts".  The level cap was stupid too, but the bad treatment of the original cast was almost offensive to a game that really depended on them the first time around to tell the story.  I loved "late-game" Emil, and Marta was cute (mostly in wardrobe than personality).  The "perfect ending" requirements are....so weird too.  Anyways...

Also what I find funny about Tales game is their strangths* tend to lie in weird and sometimes completely different places.
Legendia has that "top-tier" level soundtrack, for one.  On par with (sure let's go there) Chrono Trigger or Ocarina of Time or NieR.  I'm mostly generalizing, but it's definitely better than your average OST (and I'm completely bias towards loving Motoi Sakuraba 90% of the time).

Also, the characters are really well developed.  It pulls a sort of "Parks and Rec" move where the main cast just act like really good friends to each other and it creates great harmony and plays as excellent fodder for how cutscenes tend to run....it get's a bit "Captain Planet"-y by the end, but I think you're willing to accept that because you've spent so much time with them that some cheese is ok (and you're totally invested in it by that point).  Plus the world is super-duper cool (IT'S A FUCKEN HUUUGE SHIP!!!! WHAAAAAA----)

On the other hand, the dungeons suck butt and the battle system is a step back for the series.  And if that's missing there goes a good chunk of what you're doing in a game to begin with.

*A typo I don't want to fix
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:09:01 PM by Dice » Logged

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1134 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »

I disagree about Legendia.  It has some solid character design and development in the second half.  It also is the one that seems to deviate the most from the series' typical traits (which is good in some areas and bad in others).

If anything, it's worth it for the soundtrack.  Seriously, it's the best by a mile, to the point that it's not even fair comparing them.  I find it funny that the one time they change the composer for a main entry is the time where it truly shines.  I'm curious to see how Go Shiina works with Sakuraba for Zestiria.

EDIT - Basically what Dice said.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:11:13 PM by Elegance » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1135 on: February 26, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »

EDIT - Basically what Dice said.

Hey, whatever helps hit the point home even more. :)

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1136 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »

Oh, for sure I agree with the soundtrack and the characters, Dice and Elegance. My problem with Legendia mostly comes from the main (first?) plot sort of falling apart near the end, the battle system being awful, the random encounters, the horrible dungeon design, and the second half of the game having no voice acting whatsoever. It's like for everything Legendia did right, it did something wrong as well.

But as said before, *most* of the characters are great (I enjoy Jay and Moses' bickering), the soundtrack is arguably the best in the series, the characters get a crapton of development, and the world itself is a really cool concept. The island is a ship, that's awesome! I've actually kind of always wanted a sequel that took place in the mainland, as I was always curious as to what the rest of the Legendia world was like.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1137 on: February 26, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »

Oh, for sure I agree with the soundtrack and the characters, Dice and Elegance. My problem with Legendia mostly comes from the main (first?) plot sort of falling apart near the end, the battle system being awful, the random encounters, the horrible dungeon design, and the second half of the game having no voice acting whatsoever. It's like for everything Legendia did right, it did something wrong as well.

But as said before, *most* of the characters are great (I enjoy Jay and Moses' bickering), the soundtrack is arguably the best in the series, the characters get a crapton of development, and the world itself is a really cool concept. The island is a ship, that's awesome! I've actually kind of always wanted a sequel that took place in the mainland, as I was always curious as to what the rest of the Legendia world was like.

Like I mentioned with Phantasia, I think Legendia was a title that I played one and never intent to return to (revisiting Youtube clips and the OST is sufficient).  I liked what I liked, wished there would have been that sequel (cleverly referenced as the Cameo Weapon in Tales of Graces), and didn't like the rest.

(I also just don't like discouraging someone from a title they already own and/or are curious in). xD

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1138 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »

You still don't think it warrants a playthrough though?  I think it's worth experiencing for its strengths.  It can be a chore to play sometimes, but I found myself interested enough to push through.  At least the dungeons aren't that long and the game isn't difficult or full of grinding.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1139 on: February 26, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »

You still don't think it warrants a playthrough though?

I suppose if someone really wants to experience every game in the series. I just think there are so many better games in the series to spend one's time on. The negatives really weighed it down for me to the point that I would say just skip it.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 99 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: