Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 92 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 87476 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1140 on: February 26, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »

Damn, now I want to play Legendia after watching it gather dust in my book for quite a few years...or maybe I don't lol. Seriously I will play it one day for myself and judge, after all one man's garbage....but I really appreciate the feedback and info, one of the things that makes this site great, no shortage of opinions!

Everything's Eventual
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1141 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:11 AM »

In case I didn't make it clear, Phantasia is my favorite game in the series.  Second is Vesperia, third is either Eternia, Abyss, or Xillia.  Those are my top five.  Those five games are why I'm a Tales Of fan, pretty much (although I haven't quite finished Xillia).  Symphonia and Legendia are... okay.  They each have their strengths and weaknesses.  I liked Legendia's characters and their development in the second half of the game, but JAYZUS having to replay so many dungeons and having such unforgiving event flagging.... that's rough. 

Symphonia does a lot of things very well, but oh man is it rote.  Everything in it seemed like a recycled part from Eternia or Phantasia, and none of the characters really did it for me.  Maybe I was in a weird zeitgeist, but I always felt that it was so popular because the GameCube was starved for RPGs.  I don't even think it was the best RPG for the GameCube that came out in 2004. 

Tales of Destiny for the PS1 is my least-favorite game in the series.  The characters don't seem that bad, but the combat was so slow and the dungeon crawls so unimpressive that I couldn't even finish it.  I've heard that the PS2, PSP, and second PS2 remakes are good, but I haven't had the opportunity to play them.  All I know is the crappy PS1 game. 

Tales of Innocence.  Man.  That game sure loves item hunts.  I'll go back to that game eventually, when I have thirty hours and feel like doing random battles in soulless dungeons for hours and hours. 

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1142 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »

I don't even think it was the best RPG for the GameCube that came out in 2004. 
Is this a thinly-veiled Baten Kaitos nod?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1143 on: February 27, 2014, 06:10:03 AM »

GameCube also had Skies of Arcadia Legends and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door along with the two Baten Kaitos games. 

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1144 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »

I ACC referring to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, but I think my point stands - the GC's RPG selection was seriously lacking compared to that of the PS2.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1145 on: February 27, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

GameCube also had Skies of Arcadia Legends and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door along with the two Baten Kaitos games. 

I have had Skies of Arcadia for the Gamecube on the shelf for over a year now. Every time I finish a game and think about playing it I go "naaahhhh, they are gonna announce the HD re-release any day now, I know it!!".... I'm beginning to think I'm wrong.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1146 on: February 27, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »

I have had Skies of Arcadia for the Gamecube on the shelf for over a year now. Every time I finish a game and think about playing it I go "naaahhhh, they are gonna announce the HD re-release any day now, I know it!!".... I'm beginning to think I'm wrong.
If they do, it won't come here.  Sega hates money.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1147 on: March 01, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »

Well I landed myself a CE of Symphonia and curiosity bested me... Had to give both Symphonia and Eternia a test run to decide which I wanted to play next (after Dice's kind help in narrowing down to the two).

Now the entire matter is silly on my end given the fact that I'm not ready to start either yet, but it was something I needed to lay to rest for my own peace of mind.

Anyhow, Eternia is the winner for me by a long shot.

As I mentioned, I played Symphonia through almost a decade ago and I claimed to have all but forgotten it. Well a few hours of gameplay was plenty to jog my memory... Not that I think its bad, nor do I hate it or anything but its just an uncomfortable bridge between the old tales that I loved as a kid (2d hand drawn) and the newer tales (ps3/xbox). In particular (being the shallow fool that I am) the character models really bother me. If this were say the only Tales game available, I'd probably be really into it. However, with other options on the table I am going to heed Dice's advice and just keep this one in my back pocket for a future re-play-through someday.

Ultimately, Tales games really come down to the casts for me. And I suppose I'm gonna be the odd man out when I say I just didn't care for the cast in Symphonia. Lloyd in particular I remember bugging me the whole game.

My reasoning is silly and superficial I know.... But none-the-less, all it took with Eternia was a brief beginning hour and a "volt glitch check" to see plain as day that I will utterly LOVE this game. And for the record (Dice), I am happy to report that I am indeed VOLT GLITCH FREE!! LoL

Thank you again Dice for leading me to a solid decision on the matter.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1148 on: March 01, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »

Good!  It'd be awful if you had to deal with it.  It's not a big deal, just stinky.

I still love Symphonia, but I played it in the height of my high school life and get those "those were the days" feels.  It's definitely aged badly though.  The glitz I remembered isn't there or it's more of a...dull...glisten?  Anyways.

I think I'm gonna attack Tales of Graces again this Summer.  That game is everything I'd want from a gameplay-oriented title. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1149 on: March 01, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »

Good!  It'd be awful if you had to deal with it.  It's not a big deal, just stinky.

I still love Symphonia, but I played it in the height of my high school life and get those "those were the days" feels.  It's definitely aged badly though.  The glitz I remembered isn't there or it's more of a...dull...glisten?  Anyways.

I think I'm gonna attack Tales of Graces again this Summer.  That game is everything I'd want from a gameplay-oriented title. 

I totally understand that "those were the days" type of feelings. Actually that is precisely what I feel when I play older ps1 and SNES titles. Eternia drips with that type of nostalgia in my case. Symphonia on the other hand was post high school for me during a period of time when I was trying to escape the realities of adulthood through screwing off and ingesting chemicals while doing a bunch of other unsavory things. I learned A LOT of lessons and had a great deal of good times post high school/pre-adult-hood but it is NOT a time I care to revisit emotionally or in any other sense.

Now as for Graces F, I couldn't agree more. I might be so bold as to say it was the most enjoyable battle system of the last gen that I have yet to experience. Gameplay aside I adored the cast. Pascal, Hubert and Richard in particular. I would like to give it another run-through sometime in the distant future but summer tales for me will  probably be a Jude play-through of Xilia prior to Xilia 2 if I find the time since I only did Milla.

Its funny how when I play a Tales game that I like as much as I did Vesperia or Graces I almost "forget" that other franchises and games exist that I also want to get to eventually.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1150 on: March 01, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »

I don't know, I think I disagree with both Dice and Klyde when it comes to Symphonia.  It really has the most memorable overall cast of the earlier Tales of games, though earlier titles have strong single characters like Leon, and Lloyd is definitely in my top protagonists.  He's particularly fascinating because:

1.  He doesn't start off as a pacifist or an idealist, like most protagonists he shares the traits with.  During the first half of the game he is quite violent.  It's not until he starts seeing how messed up the world is that he starts manifesting these traits.
2.  He is surprisingly layered, far moreso than he first appears.  Him being shown as an idiot at first makes him appear shallow, but then you get skits about him being genuinely apologetic about the small things, like saying something inconsiderate, or about how his lifelong goal is to build a boat and use it to share his experiences with friends.

I even have a deeper appreciation for Colette, now.  I used to be rather neutral towards her, but now I find her much more likable due to being proactive.  Even Colette is not like she first appears.

All that said, I forgot how abysmal Symphonia's AI is.  I mean, it's always been a problem, even up until Xillia, but it's even worse here.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1151 on: March 01, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »

I don't know, I think I disagree with both Dice and Klyde when it comes to Symphonia.  It really has the most memorable overall cast of the earlier Tales of games, though earlier titles have strong single characters like Leon, and Lloyd is definitely in my top protagonists.  He's particularly fascinating because:

1.  He doesn't start off as a pacifist or an idealist, like most protagonists he shares the traits with.  During the first half of the game he is quite violent.  It's not until he starts seeing how messed up the world is that he starts manifesting these traits.
2.  He is surprisingly layered, far moreso than he first appears.  Him being shown as an idiot at first makes him appear shallow, but then you get skits about him being genuinely apologetic about the small things, like saying something inconsiderate, or about how his lifelong goal is to build a boat and use it to share his experiences with friends.

I even have a deeper appreciation for Colette, now.  I used to be rather neutral towards her, but now I find her much more likable due to being proactive.  Even Colette is not like she first appears.

All that said, I forgot how abysmal Symphonia's AI is.  I mean, it's always been a problem, even up until Xillia, but it's even worse here.

As silly as it is, it took for me to hear Symphonia's OST to realize that there are two sides of Lloyd since he has two theme songs: the normal one, and the softer one.  I think this illustrates his character in the exact same way.  He starts very "Sylverant-ian", he hates Desians, he wants the Chosen to succeed and nothing should get in the way without being a heretic for it!  (For the record, I have no beef with the cast and find they jive better than most games have been able to take credit for even ten years after ToS's release).  But he carefully re-evaluates things and really "comes into" being the leader of the party and supporting the complete "rainbow" of part members that join you.  Probably another reason for why Symphonia 2 was shit on so much was because how a lot of this growth was undercooked and almost unappreciated with respect to both the old and new cast.

EDIT:
Speaking of Tales -- look what made #3!  Here's a hint: It's Graces.
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/07srt8/gt-countdown-top-5-jrpg-battle-systems

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1152 on: March 02, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »

Gonna agree with Cyril and say Symphonia has the best cast of all the Tales games I have played. I will also agree with Dice though that it hasn't aged as well as I had hoped. I played it when I was in high school and dug the shit out of it. It's kind of hard to go back to the older battle system after playing the new ones, but I will always appreciate Symphonia for getting me into the series. I also like the story the most of all the ones I have played (which is all of them that have come out after Symphonia except for Graces which I have not gotten to yet).

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1153 on: March 02, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »

Let me just make a brief statement in case anyone mis-read me. I have no argument against Symphonia (or Lloyd). My bias in this case is purely a matter of subjective and personal taste. After giving it a shot, I can't even say it aged THAT badly. It just doesn't change the fact Symphonia is not my preferred Tales flavor.

Ironically though, it was Destiny that was part of my teens and high school career, introducing me to the series. And now that a few of you have brought up that Symphonia was "the one" for all of you, it makes me wonder how much of an impact that has on my/our experience of the titles in question.

One thing is for certain the nostalgia factor runs DEEP within us perceptually. I see that more clearly than ever in the last year having replayed Chrono Trigger, FFIV, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3. Aged or not, those games grant an unrivaled experience for me. Eternia/Destiny can  (and soon will) be added to the list. If that is Symphonia for other Tales' fans than I have no question as from where the "love" stems.

The moral of the story is this, Nostalgia+Great Game=Gaming Bliss. The end.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1154 on: March 02, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »

There have been a few times I've held down the L trigger in battle, expecting to run around as I please. Battling the old way is going to take some reconditioning. At least until I can get to DotNW.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 92 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: