Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 04:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327938 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 90 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 84490 times)
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »

Code:
Also, I hate--HATE--that the game took the "sitcom approach," i.e. everything would have been fine if the bumbling comic relief hadn't gotten involved
This is basically a Tales staple though...I like it.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1201 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »

I'm almost to the end of chapter 2 of Xillia, myself. Trying to get as many sidequests done as I can before I end the chapter. While the cast is growing on me, I have felt like this is the weakest group of characters in any of the games I've played. I dunno... none of them really seem to be standing out so far. I do like what they're doing with Alvin, though. I thought he was going to be the weakest one, yet the way they're handling his arc is really interesting.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: March 17, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »

I'm almost to the end of chapter 2 of Xillia, myself. Trying to get as many sidequests done as I can before I end the chapter. While the cast is growing on me, I have felt like this is the weakest group of characters in any of the games I've played. I dunno... none of them really seem to be standing out so far. I do like what they're doing with Alvin, though. I thought he was going to be the weakest one, yet the way they're handling his arc is really interesting.

I actually *love* his background and past.  But they fuck it up a few times (you'll see what I mean, by a "few times" it's just one isolated thing stretched out).  Rowen is also cool.  And I liked Leia a lot for being relatively harmless.  The other three amigos I didn't care much for though.  SHARING IS CARING didn't do much for me, prostitute on a mission gets kind of boring, and Jude follows Milla because he wants to hop on that and take the fuck truck to pound town.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: March 17, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »

I agree, Dice, wholeheartedly. Jude's just kind of there... mostly because he's just crushing on Milla, though I suspect (hope) he'll find his own reason to fight before long. Milla's kind of humorless barring some skits, and really bland on the whole, and Elize and Teepo are just... eh. I dunno. I know Teepo's supposed to be funny and Elize is supposed to be "awwww, look at the shy little girl character", but they aren't really doing it for me. Rowen is pretty neat though. I actually like seeing a character this old as a party member.

Leia... she gave me shades of Natalia when she hopped on. Sixth character who kind of sneaks into the group, is a childhood friend of the hero with a crush, is kind of out of place compared to the rest of the group. I'm still not sure how I feel about Leia. Out of place is really the only way I can describe her right now.

Also, that freaking mine in Leronde is broken. I mean the side one with the Devils Arms monster in it. I managed to grind twenty levels in that place and even beat that boss. Now I'm steamrolling everything. XD

I also love the lilium orb system far more than the title skill system from Graces, and the shop upgrade system is addicting as fuck. I'd say so far I'm loving everything about this game more than the previous installments except for the story.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: March 17, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »

"awwww, look at the shy little girl character"

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1205 on: March 17, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »

I love Leia, she's probably my favorite playable character in the game.  Unfortunately, I do not like what they did with her in Xillia 2.
I liked how she -

Code:
Starts out with a crush on Jude, and wants to do things for him, but rather than simply have one of those "I'm okay if he's happy" moments/monologues, she has more of a burst of independence, realizing that she should live for herself rather than for a boy she grew up with and reevaluate her dreams and goals.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:52 AM »

Beat Xillia tonight. I loved the big twists, though I must say the second "half" of the game felt a bit rushed, as I expected a bit more to explore in the new area. That and the solution to the major problem seemed to come out of nowhere really fast. Not sure how I felt about the identity of the final boss. It's kind of the same situation as Vesperia where you weren't really fighting the person who had been the main antagonistic force in the game. But still a really enjoyable experience. Looking forward to Xillia 2. In the meantime, I started this right after Graces, and I'm a bit burnt out on this series for now.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: March 23, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »

Beat Xillia tonight. I loved the big twists, though I must say the second "half" of the game felt a bit rushed, as I expected a bit more to explore in the new area. That and the solution to the major problem seemed to come out of nowhere really fast. Not sure how I felt about the identity of the final boss. It's kind of the same situation as Vesperia where you weren't really fighting the person who had been the main antagonistic force in the game. But still a really enjoyable experience. Looking forward to Xillia 2. In the meantime, I started this right after Graces, and I'm a bit burnt out on this series for now.

I liked the identity but found both of their motivations pretty weak:
Code:
I honestly thought Maxwell himself would have made for the more "epic" final fight --- but I did like where they were going with a dual-boss.  Unforutantely Gaius is stuck in puttering about leadership philosophies and Musee can't do a goddamn thing unless someone's holding her hand and barking her orders.  And yeah, the game poorly explains its magic or deus ex's (in contrast to perhaps Tales of the Abyss which goes at lengths to explain them too well).  As cool as the other world was too (and man I LOVE THE JAZZ!!!!!) I was so sad it was like...4 main places and the rest were copy/paste fields.  What a waste.

I can't wait for ToX2 from everything I've heard about it and since Xillia 1 left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I've heard the world hasn't been fixed but all else has.

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: March 23, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »

I LOVED that jazz! XD And just seeing the way the skyline looked in that city was such a "holy crap!" moment. You have this big world full of fantasy settings, and then you reach that city and it's like strolling through a Tales-version of San Francisco. That was awesome.

The shift in atmosphere was pulled off great, I just wish everything involving that part of the game had been as long as the first map. It really did feel rushed when it's just a city, two roads and two dungeons, one of which was optional.

(Also I can't figure out how to do spoiler tags for this particular style of message board, so I apologize. I'm trying to be vague as possible!)
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: March 23, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »

The "#" button on the posting options is the spoiler tag!

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: March 24, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »

Thank you! All I've ever known is the [spoiler][/spoiler] style and have spent the past three years on this site being all spoiler dodgy!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »

I think its probably time I give in and get me a PS3 Tales of game. I know theres a few for the good old PS3, so what the best one to start with?

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

Depends on what you want from a Tales game. Tales of Graces f is kinda really cheesy but has an amazingly fun battlesystem, probably the best in the series. Tales of Xillia is... well, it just 'is' really. Entertaining game, but it doesn't excel in any way or form. And then there is Tales of Symphonia HD. It plays and looks a little old-school, but it's still a very solid game. Compared to the the other Tales games on the PS3 the dungeon designs really stand out. Classic themes, good puzzles, you know the drill. If Japanese games are an option, there's also Tales of Vesperia, which is pretty much allround good.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1213 on: March 24, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »

I may have been a little vague, so I'll try to clear things up a bit. It has to be a PS3 title, available in English and released in Europe.
Don't really know what I want out of a Tales of game. I dislike games with AI partners, so I suppose I'd like one that maximizes my control over what the game is doing with my other characters. I'm also a sucker for secrets and hidden goodies.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: March 24, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »

I may have been a little vague, so I'll try to clear things up a bit. It has to be a PS3 title, available in English and released in Europe.
Don't really know what I want out of a Tales of game. I dislike games with AI partners, so I suppose I'd like one that maximizes my control over what the game is doing with my other characters. I'm also a sucker for secrets and hidden goodies.

Tales games are generally good for secrets and goodies; they usually have a ton of side content.

You're kinda SOL on both games with respect to what the AI does.  You can set them, and they pay attention pretty well to that.  They're certainly more responsive than they are for Symphonia HD though (where I don't think the Strategy Menu does a goddamn thing).

I honestly think Graces is still the better pick.  The story is cheesy and the dungeons aren't particularly inventive, but I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of the sheer amount you can do between its battle system and customization.  The game is much more unique as well; the gameplay takes a gamble and it paid off beautifully.
Also, the game managed to make "magician" class characters extremely fun and just as capable of dealing physical damage due to the unique "weakness" system it has. All of the characters balance out quite well too.

Xillia is what it is.  It tries new things, but they're not particularly ground-breaking, nor does the game excel in any way.  It's a more traditional-3D Tales game ---- but  don't know if that's good here.  While the characters all play in unique ways, I personally find only some of them are actually fun to play as (and it really doesn't help that there are better characters than others).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:37:56 AM by Dice » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 90 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: