Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 02:23:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329910 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 90567 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1275 on: April 22, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

I kinda feel like buying a CE sometime this year, so maybe I'll get this one. It's not like I've got any big purchases or a vacation planned, might as well buy myself something nice this summer, right? The metal case is cute and it's rare to see a figure that's not a cute/sexy girl, so...

On the other hand, I'm almost certain to get a review copy so it be silly to spend money on the game. But I do kind of want to support the series that extra mile now that Namco Bandai has finally figured out what fans want and if I get the CE, I'll be supporting it in style. Regular edition is much cheaper though. For the price of the CE I could get that and one or two other games I have/will get review copies of and want to support...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1276 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »

I haven't seen any import reviews (although I haven't looked) so I'm kind of hesitant on Xilia 2. I'd put Xilia in the 8ish range. We'll see I guess.

People liked Xillia 2 much more than Xillia I believe. Better story pacing I guess?

The battle system was smoother too.  But yeah, a lot of love is thrown to the plot this time around.  So I think that's something. I dunno if I wanna drop $129 for a CE though, as nice as it is.  Plus I hate that Dawn of the New World artist.

Good to hear that the story is better. Was definitely a weak point for me in the first. Too confusing. I enjoyed pretty much everything else about it except the dungeons were a little stale. I really liked leveling up the shops (it was addicting) and the sphere grid like level system. Characters were solid too, although what's his face constantly flip-flopping was a little annoying (can't remember names right now).

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1277 on: April 22, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »

Good to see the Ludger figure wasn't a rumor.  Too bad the date was off, though.

I've been really happy with these CEs Bamco has given us.  Especially the Symphonia one.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1278 on: April 22, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »

Hey, look. Ludger's last name is Kresnik. Why does that last name sound awfully familiar?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »

It feels so weird that we got 4 Tales games this year (Symphonia HD, Symphonia DotW HD, Xillia 2, Hearts R).

Is this like... Real life?

A Tales-filled year, they said (I'm kinda combining 2013 with '14 here because it still applies).  And it's nice Zesteria was announced the day of as well.

CE announced, it's out late August...apparently it's $129 though.  But it does look fancy:

Once before, never again.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: April 22, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »

At least Ludger is about 1000x more appealing looking that Milla's hooker couture.

I'm really happy to see all these new announcements.  And from what I've played of Xillia 2 and heard, I'm hoping to put my Xillia 1 hate as water under the bridge.  Even if the backgrounds and layout are still the fucking worst, at least it'll play better. :)

http://youtu.be/PJrMVgxP-6w
English gameplay!  Yaay.  Waay overdue!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: April 22, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »

At least Ludger is about 1000x more appealing looking that Milla's hooker couture.

I'm really happy to see all these new announcements.  And from what I've played of Xillia 2 and heard, I'm hoping to put my Xillia 1 hate as water under the bridge.  Even if the backgrounds and layout are still the fucking worst, at least it'll play better. :)

http://youtu.be/PJrMVgxP-6w
English gameplay!  Yaay.  Waay overdue!

Sounds like they fixed Milla's"talking through a styrofoam box" voice. She sounds lovely.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1282 on: April 22, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »

A bit of a longshot, but I wonder with them specifically calling the CE the "Ludger Kresnik Collector's Edition" if maybe they'll be announcing an alternative CE as well. Doubt it, but you never know.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: April 22, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »

It feels so weird that we got 4 Tales games this year (Symphonia HD, Symphonia DotW HD, Xillia 2, Hearts R).

More like a living hell.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: April 22, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »

More like a living hell.

Given how many RPG series' died off between the PS2-era and PS3 one, I'm pretty damn happy Tales hasn't been cut, and these days, one of the few going strong.

Still, holy shit, the amount of announcements for this series and otherwise is wonderful.  JRPGs are back?

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »

More like a living hell.

You think getting a series of fun games (that you are in way way obligated to purchase if you really don't want to) is "a living hell"?

I don't even't even know what to say to that.  There's hyperbole and then there's just being ridiculous.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1286 on: April 22, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »

You think getting a series of fun games (that you are in way way obligated to purchase if you really don't want to) is "a living hell"?

Tales is the ultimate generic series. Unremarkable, generic characters with average music and an okay but sometimes frustrating battle system (same can be said about Star Ocean) tied to inconsequential plots and terrible dialogue. It's only notable cause there's barely any other JRPGs coming to consoles anymore.

And when we had a chance to get something new and different, we get another fucking generic Tales game shitting up the Vita.

It's the equivalent of giving survival horror fans nothing but Dead Space 3 or Resident Evil 6.

The Tales series is to JRPGs as Twiight is to horror movies.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:31:50 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »

Man if you feel that way for Tales I can only imagine how Compile Heart or whatever NISA/Gust titles rank.

Maybe real-time ain't your thang.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: April 22, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »

Tales series? Frustrating? Are we even playing the same games? I can't remember that last time I was ever frustrated in a Tales game, either with its battle system, or a part of the game that wasn't an optional boss, and I'm not all that good at games. Maybe the first hour of Xillia, because I had come immediately off of Graces f and expect the same battle system only to get something completely different? That one Early boss in Vesperia that took me 3 or 4 tries to beat because I skipped a few battles along the way? Other than those instances, Tales games have been pretty easy, so long as you know what you're doing instead of just mashing the buttons, and fight every enemy you encounter so you're the appropriate level. Maybe I'll still die a few times at bosses, but I expect that and don't really get frustrated by it.

And I don't really agree with the dialogue part. That's purely preference, but half the reason I play Tales games is just to read the dialogue and see the interactions between the characters. It goes a long way in making the games a fun, memorable ride, at least for me. Though I seem to pay more attention to dialogue than I've seen others do, so take that for what you will.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: April 22, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »

Tales is the ultimate generic series. Unremarkable, generic characters with average music and an okay but sometimes frustrating battle system (same can be said about Star Ocean) tied to inconsequential plots and terrible dialogue. It's only notable cause there's barely any other JRPGs coming to consoles anymore.

Honestly, I somewhat see where you're coming from, and I can even give you some of these, but honestly, Tales only became this fairly recently. I'd say that the characters didn't start becoming silly animu archetypes until Graces, and the drop in music quality happened around the same time (although I already said a bit about that in the Random VGM thread). I have to disagree with any knocks toward the battle mechanics though, to be honest. Graces had one of the most fun combat systems I have ever experienced. One you get a feel for the ins and outs, it only gets better, too. Tales has always been good with expanding their combat mechanics in any one game as it goes on, too.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: