Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« Reply #1890 on: September 16, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »
30 FPS on PC

I can hear TotalBiscuit's blood pressure shoot up.

(Meanwhile, my laptop is like: Haha. No. 10fps if you're lucky. Go play some more RPG Maker games)

In any case, I wonder how the game will be recieved on Steam. Looking at other Japanese consoles games that found their way there, people fall into two camps: the people who are just happy they can play those games (and would love to have even more) and disapproving representatives of the PC master race brain dead proto humans.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 16, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »
As someone else said, the 30 FPS is because there is a PS3 version, PS4 version and PC version.

It's obvious that 60 FPS can't be done on PS3 and not certain it could be done on PS4 either.
Thus, animation was framed for 30 FPS and you can't really bump that to 60 because everything would go twice as fast.

You could make a case that consoles (at least the PS3 version) held back the game.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 16, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
Hey, no reason the PS3 wouldn't be capable of 60fps. It's just that most developers (or gamers?) prefer complex visuals over frames per second. You have to work with what you got.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 16, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
Well yes, I do means PS3 can't with that level of graphics.
The PS4 would certainly be able to but as you said, dev laziness may make it so that even the PS4 would not have been able to.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 16, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
Double because apparently IGN has gameplay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5pQnsNe3c

(if you watched the anime short, this won't spoil anything new)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 16, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »

(Meanwhile, my laptop is like: Haha. No. 10fps if you're lucky. Go play some more RPG Maker games)

OMG ME TOO!  Let's be besties.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1896 on: September 17, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »
Gamespot has a 15 minute English Preview for ToZ
https://youtu.be/mmU01WU7Y1c

As well as the English Opening!  And by English it's an 'instrumental version'. :P
https://youtu.be/kJDRa0kLnQU
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:28 AM »
As well as the English Opening!  And by English it's an 'instrumental version'. :P
https://youtu.be/kJDRa0kLnQU

This is...disappointing. After both Xillias (and Symphonia HD if I recall correctly) had the original Japanese openings with lyrics, we're back to Tales of the Abyss rock instrumentals? Luckily this song is not as awesome as Karma, so I guess it won't hurt as much. Still...frickin' rock instrumentals.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 17, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
Instrumental Karma is great, though. I've been using that as my ringtone since forever. But I do wonder why they're switching back to this after several games with either English verisons or the original song. Couldn't get the rights?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
White Knight Chronicles is one of those rare instances where the "English" instrumental version of the opening is actually superior to the original lyrical version.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 17, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
I'm probably the minority here, but I've always preferred instrumental openings to lyrical ones. Perhaps it's something that's lost in translation, but lyrics in JRPG openings are usually (not always) overly romantic, somewhat nonsensical, and straight up cheesy, at best. That kind of stuff makes me feel like the song thinks it's better than it actually is. I find myself skipping such songs whenever possible.
Diff'rent strokes...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #1901 on: September 17, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »
International song rights and copyright I think are the problem, which is a shame, but I don't feel like it's taking anything away from the opening. Tales of Hearts R has an orchestrated opening over here, so that's twice in a row they've had to do that after Xillia 1/2 and Symphonia Chronicles...

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 17, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »
But I do wonder why they're switching back to this after several games with either English verisons or the original song. Couldn't get the rights?

International song rights and copyright I think are the problem, which is a shame, but I don't feel like it's taking anything away from the opening.

Yes, copyright was likely the problem (at least, I hope it was, because the alternative is infinitely more frustrating). They would still have had to acquire and pay for the rights to the song in order to use the instrumental version (which they would then have to modify by adding the guitar solo). Perhaps Superfly or whoever holds copyright for them (possibly the label) didn't give permission to use the vocals or was asking more for the full song than Bamco wanted to pay?

Rock instrumentals are better than some random orchestral piece ala Tales of Destiny, but I still would prefer the full version. Maybe it's my love of J-pop; I listen to it all the time, so these instrumental versions of songs that I know have lyrics and may have even listened to extensively with lyrics always feel a bit off to me.

But, like natros said, different strokes for different folks.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 17, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
White Knight Chronicles is one of those rare instances where the "English" instrumental version of the opening is actually superior to the original lyrical version.

That's probably due to not having to deal with Level 5's writer/director/producer/CEO/etc. Akihiro Hino writing. Now if only there were a way to not have to deal with said writing for the remaining 99.9999% of the duology (or any other Level 5 game for that matter).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 17, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »

That's probably due to not having to deal with Level 5's writer/director/producer/CEO/etc. Akihiro Hino writing. Now if only there were a way to not have to deal with said writing for the remaining 99.9999% of the duology (or any other Level 5 game for that matter).

Yo dawg, Level 5's got Dark Cloud and Layton, so they have really good reasons to exist.  Especially Dark Cloud 2.  The EXACT SECOND they finally come out and say "We will never ever do Dark Cloud 3, guaranteed" then they can disappear from the universe.