Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319077 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Does anyone actually like random battles?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone actually like random battles?  (Read 3570 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »

I like random battles, just have a problem when they happen every other step. NES era encounters ftw!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »

I normally don't mind random battles but they're becoming increasingly irritating. Actually quite liked the visible enemy system in FFXII, it was fun.

Yes! Agreed! Although there was a whole bunch of stuff I didn't like about XII, I loved the battle system. LOVED IT.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »

I normally don't mind random battles but they're becoming increasingly irritating. Actually quite liked the visible enemy system in FFXII, it was fun.

Yes! Agreed! Although there was a whole bunch of stuff I didn't like about XII, I loved the battle system. LOVED IT.

Me too!  I'm a hobbyist programmer, and obviously gambits aren't complex enough for that to be relevant, but I wasn't put off in the least by how technical the system may have seemed.  So, setting up a sustainable set of gambits and wading through enemies made me feel smurt, and also made sidetracking/exploring much more tolerable for me.

Which brings me to what I don't like about random encounters- it discourages exploring, and I am terrible with directions, so when there is a screen transition to a lengthy battle, I lose my sense of direction.  Then I'm getting stuck in battles and I'm not even sure if I'm going the right way, and it's frustrating.  This can be blamed on level design instead of the encounters, though.

That said, grinding isn't grinding without random encounters.  I would circle the save point (uh oh, have we found a relationship between the two) to trigger the encounters, and heal/save every so often.  Without random encounters, I have to call upon my poor sense of direction and seek out more enemies in order to level up, risking stumbling upon a boss, and navigating large dungeons even without any battles can be boring, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Then there are the optional training battles you see in SRPGs so often, and I do not care for them.  It always feels like a disjointed experience that I'm unsure I even need to be having, whereas circling a save point at least reminds me that I'm in the Shinra building, ready to pounce at the next plot scene.  I actually didn't like Wild Arms 3's encounter avoidance system either.  I thought it was distracting, wondering if I'm expected to skip so many battles per area for the intended pacing.

I guess my preference is for a consistent experience that flows, however encounters are handled.  I love Strange Journey, because while I always have to stop and think when I see the demons I'm up against (and the music stays quietly ominous, like the Jeopardy theme from hell) it is actually a flow similar to FFXII's, where you make all of the big decisions before hand, then steamroll the area while in a meditative trance.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »

.......Chrono Trigger had random battles!  No seriously.  Sure you could see the majority of enemies on the field beforehand, but there were times Chrono and pals would be walking along, then a bunch of monsters jump out of the leaves and ambush them without ever having made their presence known to the players.  Of course, the game itself was so good as a whole that we didn't care. 

Yeah, but it wasn't technically random. They always jumped out of the same spots. No matter how many times you played the game, they were always in the same spot. So, it's not random in the sense of walking around on the field and getting jumped by some enemies.

"Oh, a hunter..."
LadyElysium

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 03:08:03 AM »

I don't mind random battles, but I do enjoy being given the option (via and item or whatever) to turn the encounters off entirely. I think they're great when you first begin a game and need to grind your way up to a decent level, but once you're fully established within the game they can become quite tedious and annoying.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »

I really don't see how this is even worth discussing. Put the enemies on the field and if I want to fight them I'll attack them.
Several people in this thread mentioned how some games create specific mechanics to lower the encounter rate or even avoid them completely. What's the point of this if you can just design the game without them from the start?
They're annoying as hell and should never have existed in the first place.
You should be allowed to fight and explore at your own pace.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »

I don't know, I honestly think that most games with enemies on the field aren't actually any better.  Very often there isn't enough room for you to possibly avoid those enemies so you may know that an encounter is coming but otherwise there isn't really any difference.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »

It may be something of a placebo for some, they know the enemy's there and they're going to get into a fight, and it's not something that just takes them by surprise. Also a reason why I like the encounter indicator that MegaTen and Etrian Odyssey games have been using, I half wonder if Atlus patented it and thus we're not seeing it in other games because of it.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 07:12:06 PM »

It may be something of a placebo for some, they know the enemy's there and they're going to get into a fight, and it's not something that just takes them by surprise.

Yes, that's very true too.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »

Of course if you can't avoid them it's pointless.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »

Not necessarily. As long as you can avoid them sometimes (even if not all the time) I bet it would still seem less annoying as you played.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »

If being unavoidable is seen as optimal then fuck it, stick with random encounters. At least then they're probably more inclined to put in items to avoid encounters and luck can keep me from a battle for awhile.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »

the problem with random battles is when something like a puzzle comes up that makes you not want to have them. then they start to agitate. but one thing i hate more than random battles is when you can see the enemies on the map but cant avoid them *cough*xenosaga series*cough*

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 04:38:21 AM »

The only thing I hate about random battles, is being caught by surprise. At least if that happened in a game where I can see enemies on a map, it was my own damn fault. Unlike a random encounter, where the game decided it wanted to screw you just for the sake of putting a dick in your ass.

I am tolerating of games where they at least put that encounter indicator though. I actually wasn't that annoyed with SMT's encounters, 'cause of it.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »

I don't mind random battles, in fact, sometimes I find onscreen battles to be a bit nagging.

Let's face it, battles in RPGs are like WORK. They're there to get over with as quickly as possible so we can get stuff. It's sort of like getting a tetnus shot... you don't want to do it, but you know it'll be better if you do. At least with random battles, they're just given to you and you have to deal with it. With on screen battles, I often have this nagging feeling like, "Grrrrr... I really don't want to fight these guys, but I really should." And you end up arguing with yourself over which course of action to take. If there's a set number of enemies in a room that don't respawn, sometimes the OCD part of you gets the better of you and you feel like you have to dungeon clear, which can be long and tedious.

At least with random battles, you know that if you go through a dungeon, you're going to be leveling at a fairly expected rate, and not worrying all the time.

Don't get me wrong, in some ways, I prefer the mechanics of on-screen battles, but there are bad sides to both.

PS: Puzzle dungeons should have lower encounter rates, either random or on screen. And puzzle rooms shouldn't have ANY at all (thank you Skies of Arcadia).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:12:42 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: