Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:01:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Radiant Historia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Print
Author Topic: Radiant Historia  (Read 54985 times)
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »

I know some of you (and me, as well) really liked Radiata Stories.
It's not really a sequel, but a lot of the staff that worked on Radiata Stories working on this one. I guess it's going to be some sort of a "spiritual successor" to the game, thus, the name.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180612

In this week's issue of Famitsu magazine, Atlus took the veils off Radiant Historia, a brand-new traditional RPG for the Nintendo DS. The title is due out November 4 in Japan for 6279 yen.

Although it has nothing to do with Square Enix and tri-Ace's Radiata Stories, Historia does have some of that 2005 RPG's staff holding the development reins, including designer Satoshi Takayashiki and character/art designer Hiroshi Konishi. Mitsuru Hirano, who was involved with the Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne games, is handling director duties, and industry mainstay Yoko Shimomura is scoring the game's music.

Radiant Historia is set in Vancule, a land that's rapidly becoming dry, barren, and desert-like. You play Stok, a spy for the nation of Aristel, and you begin with a mission to infiltrate the neighboring country Granorg (which Aristel is at war with) and rescue a fellow agent. Stok is captured and wounded in Granorg, but somehow the process gives him the power to travel through time and across two parallel worlds that are connected to each other. Thus, the brunt of the game is spent hopping between past and future, correcting mistakes made long ago and attempting to bring peace and environmental stability back to Vancule.

"This game is a collection of stories based around the concept of time travel," designer Takayashiki told Famitsu. "When you look at something from a different point of view, everything can seem completely different. In this way the hero learns that his bitterest of enemies was just doing what he had to, among other things, and every cast member has a deep background to back up that storytelling. You aren't an impartial observer, either -- the player's actions have the power to dramatically change history. We're devoting just as much care to the boundless amount of side stories as we are to the main plot, so I hope you take the time to seek them all out."

Gameplay details are still a bit skimpy, but apparently Historia's battle system is turn-based and places enemies on a 3x3 grid, with monsters occupying front and rear positions and creatures up front more susceptible to damage than those in the rear. Turn order is also decided for the entire battle at the very beginning, and you'll be able to execute combo moves when two player-characters have consecutive turns.

No US release has been announced for Historia yet.

Who else is excited? I can't wait to try it out and hear the soundtrack. I love Yoko Shimomura.
I sure hope Atlus will localize it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:29:34 AM by Larahl » Logged

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

When atlus USA goes off there 1 year vacation from localizing....I will believe they are localizing this
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »

I welcome any new-born Turn-Based RPG's into the world.

I do hope they localize this.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »

RS sucked, but I'd be willing to try this if Atlus is doing it

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »

RS was the stuff, so I'll take a spiritual successor over nothing at all. Looking forward to news of a localization.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »

I loved Radiata Stories, but I can't get excited over handheld games. Mainly because I don't own or have use for one, developers really need to start making console rpgs.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »

I have a love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with RS. Here's hoping they get it right this time.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »

I'm tired of NDS RPGs.  Been too many that try to stay too classic.  Also seems like an excuse to spend less time on graphics, or anything too large to handle.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

Also seems like an excuse to spend less time on graphics, or anything too large to handle.

Given the explosive disasters we've been seeing in the last few years (Lair, Haze) I think that's pretty understandable.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 07:49:07 PM »

I think the name chosen to be a little weird. I'll try to explain why, Story has the same meaning as Historia (in portuguese at least it means the same thing).
I'm not complaining on the meaning of the title, since it probably means almost the same as the former, but giving a name to something with two words of different languages, especially when the pronunciation of the vowels are pretty different makes it sound really strange.

Sure I'm nit picking on it but still. Well, I won't stop me from giving it a chance, but not only in this thread but overall I've heard so many mixed opinions on Radiata Stories that I'll wait to see more.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »

has tri-ace decided to break up with squeenix?
it did end of eternity with sega and now this with atlus
hm.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »

hm.

I'm pretty sure the whole of tri-ace isn't involved, it's just a few (maybe just the two) staff members working at Atlus and making a similarly styled game. One that sounds much more promising than Radiata Stories at that simply because of the MegaTen staff.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »

hm.

I sure hope not because I still want my Valkyrie Profile 3.

... One that sounds much more promising than Radiata Stories at that simply because of the MegaTen staff.

I couldn't agree more!
It's incredible that Atlus being a small publisher can manage to make much more good stuff (quantity and quality) then bigger RPGs companies like SquareEnix and NamcoBandai

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »

Maybe Squeenix is being communist by not wanting Tri-Ace games that are too different (Resonance of Fate), and just want them to make LEVELUP type RPGS!!!!

Meh.  Unless some screens care to impress, this is kinda far-off the radar.  NDS RPGs are a bore lately.  Tales of Innocence, a trusted franchise, wasn't too good.  I don't like how games really feel on it.  I primarily blame the clunky 3D the DS enjoy pulling.  I sound old, and I sound narrow... but 3D DS games take a lot more to get me interested - bad experiences otherwise

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:15:57 AM »

NDS RPGs are a bore lately.  Tales of Innocence, a trusted franchise, wasn't too good. 
  Tales games are always a bore.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: