Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319732 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Radiant Historia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 Print
Author Topic: Radiant Historia  (Read 50070 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »

Atlus titles tend to be overrated, artsy, and overall shit save a handful of interesting ones.

What?!
Sorry, I have an opinion, and my opinion is atlus is bleh 85% of the time. Wasn't fond of the games I've played from them recently.ESPECIALLY persona 3...my god that game hurt my senses.

TASTY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »

Play Persona 4

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »

Atlus titles tend to be overrated, artsy, and overall shit save a handful of interesting ones.

What?!
Sorry, I have an opinion, and my opinion is atlus is bleh 85% of the time. Wasn't fond of the games I've played from them recently.ESPECIALLY persona 3...my god that game hurt my senses.

While I agree that Persona 3 is quite overrated, I'm not quite sure if Atlus's ratio of 'bleh' titles is as high as you make them out to be. At the very least, most of the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series, of which there are quite a few titles and variants, range from good to great. (Including the Persona series, aside from 3, which was...not good, to say the least.) If you've only checked the Persona sub-series and not the rest of the franchise, then you might want to do so.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2011, 03:52:26 AM »

Off topic, yes, my my experience with atlus titles may be slightly less than numerous, but the ones I named I really don't like at all. I played a couple of Shin Megami Tensei games, including digital devil saga (enjoyed greatly) strange journey and devil summoner on DS (not so much) and I think a few others I can't remember offhand. I'm not saying all of the current atlus titles out there suck, just a lot of them aim for some lame character design, shoddy "japanese meets american" feel, or try to play off on the whole emo scene by giving your team guns to shoot themselves in the head to unlock their inner power etc etc (I REALLY hate persona 3). Again, I like a few games, but damn I hated some of them hard.

On topic, THIS GAME IS WINTASTIC. I don't get it, I love it and it's just so....simple. It plays well, it's pretty, it's fun, the story is addictive, the time hopping is creative beyond anything I've seen in many other rpgs of late. This game definitely is a must have for a DS owner. Dincrest's review is spot on, maybe even selling it short somewhat. My only dislike is the fact that I can't hook it up to my 32 inch TV somehow and play it on a larger screen. That and I know it's gonna be short :(

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2011, 03:57:21 AM »

Didn't  Dincrests review say that the game was actually pretty long? He played 30 something hours and only managed to complete half the story points.

EDIT: And we will just have to agree to disagree on Atlus games :P Though I can see why you wouldn't like the art direction in Persona 3.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:59:05 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »

30 hours doesn't feel long to me, but mabe I'm just spoiled from MMOs somewhat. 40 hour games are basically an extended weekend for me, so if this is about the same, I'll be done by sunday, which means back to Dragon Quest VI, which I'm about halfway done with, and then back to tactics ogre, which is also about halfway done. Hopefully by then, I'll be ready for the third birthday...hopefully.

TASTY!
RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

It could be some magical combination of factors including stars and planets in the right alignment or some other cosmic hoosefudge, but I certainly did NOT expect to enjoy the game as much as I did.  I've complained a lot about JRPGs in various threads and not only did I have none of those complaints here, my expectations were thoroughly exceeded.  Of course, this is Atlus in-house and we're all Megami Tensei faithful. 

So far, in scouring the web, reviews for the game have all been favorable.  I don't think any other critics liked the game as much as I did, but all scores are well above average. 

Regardless, I hope that whomever gets Radiant Historia this week enjoys it at least half as much as I did. 

That is great to hear. I'm glad that it turns out much better than expected. I have to remember that reviewers are fans as well and would like to show that from time to time. So I was a bit alarmed when a professional review sounded like a love letter a bit :P Haven't read reviews in a while!

I come in peace :)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »

I should have the game tomorrow!!!  Too bad there is no strategy guide.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »

I really need to upgrade my amazon to prime. I want play this so bad right now.  Backlog be damned!
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »

I'm getting one!

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »

I really need to upgrade my amazon to prime. I want play this so bad right now.  Backlog be damned!

Well, if it helps, if you have a .edu Email address, you can get Prime for free.  Usually this means you're a student or a professor, but hey, if you know a relative who is a University student, you can use them.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »

Well, if it helps, if you have a .edu Email address, you can get Prime for free.  Usually this means you're a student or a professor, but hey, if you know a relative who is a University student, you can use them.

Once I became an Alumni the university axed my email address so that options out. I might give the relative option a go though.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »

so far its pretty cool but i got stuck when your supposed to go to the mine!!! it seems like i need some power i dont have yet to advance.

Remember the hint Teo and Lippti give you.  You need to go back in time and make a different major decision.  The two paths based off that one major decision are interrelated so if you hit a roadblock in one, you have to switch to the other to remove it.  That had me stumped at first as well.

And the girl Akanbe speaks of is Raynie.

aww the game had me thinking every wrong path would end grusomely.

Even if you get a "bad ending" you get a do-over with hints and all your stats saved.  So there is minimal penalty for storyline "mistakes."  I myself got a bunch of bad endings.

I approve of this nonsense!
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2011, 12:33:49 AM »

I didn't know this game had a New Game+. 

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »

The game's whole gimmick is time traveling to create an ideal future by rewinding time as necessary; it'd be pretty dickish to have genuine game over sequences as a result of a poor choice.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: