Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:49:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So... Recettear. Anyone else try out the demo?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: So... Recettear. Anyone else try out the demo?  (Read 6972 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:22:02 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/382.html

http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/

I've been dabbling with the demo and I think the game is really charming and loads of fun.  If you liked Atelier Annie on the DS, this is definitely up your alley.  Think Atelier Annie, but with a more streamlined/less complicated time management system and more expansive dungeons with action-RPG gameplay rather than turn-based.  

Capitalism Ho!

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:47 AM »

I'm playing the demo right now and enjoying it :) Most definiately similar to a Gust game.

That's what Atelier Annie was missing, I wanted control over my supposed shop. I wanna be the one to sell people shit!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »

I'm waiting a bit to try it. They are supposed to release a better quality demo soon.
Although my friend tried and said it's a blast... and then complained about the bringing items in dungeon rule (??)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »

I tried it today and that was a fun couple hours. I want to say 'very harvest moon' even though that's not really the case. But the business aspect is there which was my favorite part of harvest moon. I'm just dealing in swords instead of corn.

I guess if I were to critique it I'd say that it's tough to haggle anyone but the adult men. Women, kids and old men are all stingy and I found it better to just sell a reliable 125% to move stock, although the game does say people won't walk out so easy when your merchant rank goes up.

It also seemed like you could only get so many customers a session and you could 'waste' them by having cheap items you found in dungeons up. But I'm not certain that's how it works.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »

Also played it (the demo has been upgraded). The game is very interesting. I'm having about as much fun crawling the dungeon as I have buying/selling/placing stocks.
I discovered you don't want to sell crap to your merc... he equips it. It makes me wonder if you could reload and hope he comes and buys a badass equipment you put on display.

Also, knowing French is a plus when playing this game.
spikyhairjon

Let's Survive!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »

Played it a couple hours and really fell in love with the game. Defiantly feels like a Gust game ( It looks like you fight Punis in the dungeon). Once you figure out each customer's set percent, you sell an item instantly each time. That first loan payment was a pain, had to skip dungeon crawling just to get enough money.  I will proply buy it on day 1.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »

1 million Internets to the localizers of this game in knowing how the world works.

This is from their FAQ:

But doesn't that mean I can just pirate your game?
or
But aren't you afraid of getting pirated into oblivion?
Well, we'll say this: Recettear would be pirated regardless of whether we used copy protection or not. We're adults and we understand that our work will be stolen by someone who doesn't want to pay for it; that's how the Internet works in this day and age. Any prospective pirates who enjoy our work, however, must realize that we can only continue to produce localizations for games - and possibly help foster new projects on our own - if we make enough money to make a living at it.

If you like the game even a little bit, please purchase it. We respect our customers enough to not put any invasive DRM programs into Recettear - we hope the respect will be repaid in kind.

I'm not saying I agree with pirating the game, but good that they know that they can't stop it happening and don't punish the people who actually DO pay anyway.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

Any prospective pirates who enjoy our work, however, must realize that we can only continue to produce localizations for games - and possibly help foster new projects on our own - if we make enough money to make a living at it.

This is why you shouldn't pirate small companies, it kills them.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 01:25:43 AM »

It would make me feel guilty. But I'm easy that way. :P

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 09:12:03 PM »

Looks like they're aiming for a sept 10th release. Look forward to it, played through 3 times when the demo came out(Twice normal, once without going dungeon crawling and just trading) and had to push myself to stop playing and just wait for the full version.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »

I'm with ya there.  Recettear's demo is one that I needed to forcibly uninstall so I wouldn't get burnt out on it prior to the retail release.  If the real thing lives up to the potential in the demo (and I don't see why it won't), Recettear is definitely my frontrunner for best/favorite indie RPG of 2010. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:15:16 AM »

The game looks polished enough to  be a PS2 game, which si damn good for an indie game. Nice menus, GUI, interface and pretty typical but attractive "Cute" anime art.

It's GREAT that Steam is carrying it, I don't know if you guys follow the industry but having an indie game on Steam is probably going to increase the long term financial gains of the developer by at least a few hundred thousand dollars.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:31:08 AM »

I'm playing it through at the moment as I will be doing the review.

The review probably won't be quite up by the 10th, but I recommend if you enjoyed the demo to buy it anyway. It's very good. Otherwise, hang out a few more days until the review is done!

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »

4/2 words: motherfucking roguelike!

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 05:07:33 AM »

Bought it off Steam yesterday and am loving it so far.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: