Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:27:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327838 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  devil survivor is too hard!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: devil survivor is too hard!  (Read 4525 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »

if it wasnt for the 1 hit KO code i probally would of put the game back in its case and into the deep recesses of my closet. the last straw for me was this one battle where you have to protect these civiliians and prevent any demons from leaving the map. also battles in this game tend to require a lot of trial and error wich annoys the hell out of me.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

Hard? Yes. Too hard? Eh.

I think you're right on the money when it comes to battles like the one you're describing. A lot of the difficulty stems from some downright insane battle conditions.  Whether you're timed, forced into protecting someone, or running around the map to specific locations, it's definitely a beastly game. And then there's the boss gauntlet preceding the "true ending", which is a whole new level of fuck this.

Also, grinding is hair-pullingly attritious due to the low amount of exp the training maps give you. I remember that bugging me quite a bit. Looking back in retrospect, though, it was that aspect alone that helped keep me from breaking the game, so it's probably for the best.

I will tell you, though, that beating that game left me with a sense of accomplishment that I hadn't felt in a good long while. Partly because of the difficulty, partly because the ending so brilliantly wraps everything up.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »

When playing Devil Survivor, you have to stop thinking in terms of "I need to get to a higher EXP level" and more in terms of "What skills is my party lacking and where can I get them?"

99% of maps are a cinch if you have the right demon family skills.  Shit like Switch and Devil Speed breaks the game wide open, and the game often assumes you have and are using these skills regularly.  When you have a team with Devil Speed, saving someone on one end of the map and then immediately fighting a boss on the other side is just a normal game move.  If you're having problems, try fusing for a bit and see if any of the currently available demon family skills will help you.  Sometimes all you need is another Megami on your side.

Also, keep track of how many things you're doing in a single turn.  That shit is cumulative, and you want to be as precise and concise with your actions as possible.  It's IMPERATIVE to learn this if you want to do any of the endings that require a boss rush.

In the end, it's no different then any of the other SMT games.  They give you a certain set of skills and powers, and expect you to use and understand every single one of them.  This isn't FF where if you don't want to bother with elemental affinities you can just ignore them, you have to pay attention and use what you're given.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:53:01 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »

Yeah, Gen pretty much covered everything you'll need to know. It's not really that hard of a game. There's a few battles that you'll have to retry, but nothing hair pulling. Everyone likes to talk about how much you have to grind at the end of the game, but it's total BS. I never had to grind once in DS unless I felt like leveling up some low level demons that I had an affinity for.

"Oh, a hunter..."
riderin

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:34:35 AM »

Yeah grind in this game is booring. But story line is real intiresting.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »

I never really considered the extra battles in this grinding. Inbetween each main story fight there are extra battles you can pick if you need to get more skills or level up a character. But if you are dilligent and savvy enough you only need to do these once. It's not like you need to do the same battle five times or anything.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »

Just like with every SMT game all you need is the right demons. I beat the boss rush on my first try when I did amano´s ending with very little grinding, my MC had a demon (I wish I could remember the name) that made him almost invincible. I was shocked with how hard some battles seemed on the first try (I did my fair share of complaining in the game's thread) but with the right preparation it's never unfair. Of course you may get your ass handed to you on your first try but that only proves that the game forces you to use strategy in order to progress and that you won't get through the whole game with some general tactic that you can apply in all battles like in jeanne d'arc. This is a strategy rpg after all, so unless you have some supernatural power that allows you to guess what the game will throw at you, you will get your ass kicked and then adapt to the circumstances.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »

Hard? Yes. Too hard? Eh.

Also, grinding is hair-pullingly attritious due to the low amount of exp the training maps give you. I remember that bugging me quite a bit. Looking back in retrospect, though, it was that aspect alone that helped keep me from breaking the game, so it's probably for the best.

This is removed on second and subsequent play throughs, which I assume most people will be doing if they want to see the other endings.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »

You guys mostly hit on what I was going to say.

I find with SMT games (Persona series includes) it has less to do with levels and more to do with what kind of demons/personas you have and what skills they've got.  The only reason you should raise levels is to get new demons/personas.

Devil speed is worth getting, for sure. Beyond that just have really, really good strategy. I found DS hard, but not unfairly so.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »

I never really considered the extra battles in this grinding.

This.  If you're doing anything resembling "grinding" in Devil Survivor you are doing it wrong.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »

If you're doing anything resembling "grinding" in Devil Survivor you are doing it wrong.

You may not need to, but if you needlessly make life hard for yourself by aiming to get the true ending on your first playthrough, things can get rather difficult.

What I normally did was enter a free battle as soon as it opened and skill crack everything. I did the same if I needed macca for the auctions. The exp I gained in those battles was usually enough.

You may already know this but turning off your DS and turning it back on resets the demons shown in the auction. It can come in very handy sometimes.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »

Macca isn't hard to get if you're properly abusing the combat system to get bonuses.

I will agree with the skill crack thing.  I basically said it in my first post, it's more important to have the right skills then it is to be at a certain level.  Gaining levels will almost never solve a problem in DS, but having the right skills can make a map that seems impossible become very simple.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »

Macca isn't hard to get if you're properly abusing the combat system to get bonuses.

I messed around a lot with fusions so I needed more than the normal amount of macca.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »

I'm with the ones that think this game is hard. Not only hard but painfully hard. The missions we need to protect people ? Come on? I can barely protect myself.
Until mid game I though it was manageable but after that point, things just got way too difficult.

This game was the 3rd SMT game I beat, so I probably was still struggling to get the hang of it but sometimes getting said skill is way to hard, and the stages. Just for the record, I love SRPGs, and I've played tons of them, even some not so talked about like Phantom Brave and Stella Deus but this one: way too hard.

spikyhairjon

Let's Survive!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 12:09:40 AM »

Love this game! defiantly hard, but very rewarding, like most SMT games. What is considered the true ending? Cause I remember several different true endings.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: