Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 08:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335318 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of the decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of the decade  (Read 34933 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »

One of the "joys" of reviewing games is that along with the good games come the bad ones.  The worst RPGs I've played from the '00s were probably Astonisha Story on the PSP and Zoids Assault on the Xbox 360.  There were others that I was pretty disappointed with, but those were the worst. :)

(Zoids Assault holds the dubious distinction of having received my worst RPGFan review to date - 55%.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »

I haven't posted yet, so I'd post both the best and worst, but I have a question before doing so; do Independent RPG's and freeware RPG's also apply?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:53:02 PM by badsanta » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »

I haven't posted yet, so I'd post both the best and worst, but I have a question before doing so; do Independent RPG's and freeware RPG's also apply?

Why not?

Anyways, back to the derail at hand. Sword of Mana.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:01 PM »

Let's flip the script: What were some of the worst you've played this last decade?

You have not experienced pain until you have played Unlimited Saga.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »

Dokapon is the worst RPG I have ever played. Ever, ever, ever.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »

Why not?

Alright then. In no particular order:

Best
1.Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
2.Suikoden 5
3.Final Fantasy IX
4.Last Scenario (Freeware.)
5.Exit Fate (Freeware, made by LS developer, Suikoden Homage.)

Worst
1.Final Fantasy X
2.All Aveyond titles. (You heard me.)

EDIT: Final Fantasy XI? Woops, sorry about that. Meant to say IX. Never played XI. (And I never intend to...)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:23:48 PM by badsanta » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »

You have not experienced pain until you have played Unlimited Saga.

I have not.  But I won't lie, part of me is VERY curious to try it since I have a morbid fascination with bad and "meh" gaming.  

In my individual list for the upcoming feature I put my three least favorites, so I choose not to reveal them here.  I actually agree with Gen Eric (shocker, I know:P) that if Wild Arms 5 is the worst RPG someone's played in the last decade, then they've been judiciously selective about the RPGs they've cherry picked.  Like Tooker said, in our roles are reviewers, we've "taken one for the team" plenty of times and though I myself found WA5 rather blah and one-note, it wasn't a genuinely bad game.  One game not on my list that I thought was terrible was Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.  Did Cozy Okada, one of the founding fathers of Shin Megami Tensei, really create such a steaming pile of donkey turd?  

EDIT: Yeah, if I wasn't an RPGFan writer, I would not have played nearly as many shitpile games as I have.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:53:40 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »

I actually agree with Gen Eric (shocker, I know:P) that if Wild Arms 5 is the worst RPG someone's played in the last decade, then they've been judiciously selective about the RPGs they've cherry picked. 

I am, it can be a huge waste of time. God knows how much I regret wasting all those hours on that game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »

It's funny, but I can't think of a single bad RPG I've played in the last decade.  I know, I know, there are plenty of bad RPGs out there.  But I don't play them.  Maybe it's because they're such huge time commitments, but I tend to meticulously research my RPG purchases, read as many reviews as I possibly can, and in the end I don't purchase a game unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.  That's not to say that all the games I buy are great.  There are some disappointments in there, but it's more of a not-as-good-as-I-hoped kind of thing.

OK, if I had to big one I would go for Rogue Galaxy.  I really didn't care for it much, and I can't quite understand what other people see in it.  I don't think it was an awful game or anything, just not a very good one.

If we were including 2010 I would pick FFXIII in a heartbeat.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

Worst RPG

Final Fantasy XI: A Crystalline Prophecy
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »

I actually agree with Gen Eric (shocker, I know:P) that if Wild Arms 5 is the worst RPG someone's played in the last decade, then they've been judiciously selective about the RPGs they've cherry picked. 

I am, it can be a huge waste of time. God knows how much I regret wasting all those hours on that game.

At least you spent an hour on it.I played Unlimited Saga for 5 minutes before I turned it off and sold it for 70 cents to Gamestop.Worst 18 dollars I ever spent.

Don't just take my word for it.Just check what Gamecritics said...

"Graphics aside, battling with the Unlimited Saga system is clunky and completely unintuitive. The battle engine features an insane potluck of disparate elements, almost as if Square-Enix took all of the purged leftovers from ten or fifteen other games and smashed the scraps together to create the unholy videogame sausage that it is."

"Unlimited Saga is so boring and tedious to play that it borders on torture, and I could hardly forget that every minute playing it could have been spent with something far more enjoyable—like getting a double habanero enema followed by a broken glass chaser, or wearing a loincloth made of beef liver and leaping naked into a pit of syphilitic rottweillers"

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »

I bought Unlimted Saga when I was 12 or 13, back when I thought the Square/Square-Enix logo still had respectability to it, and I was very confused by it, it was not what I wanted at all. I was so bored, I think I might have played an hour the day I got it, then another hour the next day, just to please my dad, because I had begged him for it and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »

If we were including 2010 I would pick FFXIII in a heartbeat.

Worst of 2010 for me is still Mimana Iyar Chronicle.  As I said in my review, my initial thought after enduring that shitpile was, "Man, this game is stupid."  Although it's my worst of 2010, it's actually not my biggest disappointment of 2010, and I've definitely played far worse games.  I'll reserve my disappointment of 2010 for the annual GOTY.  Then again, 2010 has already had its share of letdowns, like Alpha Protocol.  That game won lots of E3 awards in the past and had promise, but failed to deliver.  Kinda like how Hellgate London won a bunch of E3 awards and when it finally came out, it was bad. 

Oddly enough, I'm enjoying FFXIII.  I did not expect to given all the complaints, but I dig it.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »

Maybe it's because you went in with low expectations, Neal?

I think that's why I liked it.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »

I bought Unlimted Saga when I was 12 or 13, back when I thought the Square/Square-Enix logo still had respectability to it, and I was very confused by it, it was not what I wanted at all. I was so bored, I think I might have played an hour the day I got it, then another hour the next day, just to please my dad, because I had begged him for it and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

Good point you touched. Most of the times I received games from my dad they ended up being crap. My mom and my grandfather always asked the title I wanted so at least I was responsable for not choosing a good game.

One of those games (not an RPG) were ToeJam & Earl. Yeah, I know some people like this game but I simply hate it. I even played it co-op with a friend that loved it and even so, I couldn't get myself to play it. Horrible memories ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: