Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 01:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327153 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of the decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of the decade  (Read 33180 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2010, 03:23:13 AM »

Potroast you are wrong and you should feel bad

What a nice way to welcome someone to this website.

Don't mind Thoren. He puts up a tough front, but he's really a pussycat. :)

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:36 AM »

Someone doesn't watch enough Futurama.

I guess not =\
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »

Odin Sphere is like River City Ransom remade by a bunch of 16-year-old AP English students that don't know how to make games or program engines that actually function on the hardware they're intended for.

Being able to actually see shit is more important than your seven layers of fucking parallax bullshit and sprites that take up half the screen and fancy lighting affects you unrestrained twats.

I can at least give credit to Odin Sphere for trying at least. I've played too many games now where there just isn't any effort put in at all. What they needed to do was either be less stupid with the resources of the hardware they're working with or have access to more powerful hardware.

At least they learned something between OS and Muramasa (in that they made they've simplified combat to holding down one button and directing with the control stick to make things bleed and die).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »

Im gonna have to agree with the Planescape nomination. The game still sends shivers down my spine with quite possibly the best dialog and text ever written for a game.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »

My big problem with Odin Sphere is that it's combat was too simplistic in a game where you were fighting action-style the entire game. It didn't do anything to spice things up and got boring as hell later on.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »

Odin sphere looks great but that's pretty much all it has going for it. It has some of the worst slowdown I've ever seen and they recycle lots of bosses and other stuff, I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »

The best RPG of all time is Planescape: Torment.  This is an indisputable fact.

I know, I was just bored... sorry.

*ahem!* Anyway, I've never played Planetscape to be honest, but I read a lot about it. And yes it sounds like the best thing ever and I hope that I can play the game someday.

PLAY IT!!!

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »

The boss recycling in Odin Sphere is because the stories cross between them but I agree, even so, it is recycling bosses.
Even so I loved how the stories felt like unique and the same at the same time. The only one I haven't played was Velvet's story and I was much more hyped for her, since the ones I expected to be bad (Prince that turn into a bunny & Faerie that becomes Faerie queen) were quite good, I assume the witch that lives in the woods will be much better. Someday I'll just pick it up to finish it.

The slowdowns sure were a bad thing but I wouldn't trade them for poorer environments. It's like Shadow of the Colossus, I wouldn't trade framerate for the beauty that exists in the game.

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »

Planescape: Torment is indeed the best roleplaying game (the story & characters are great), but a pretty lowsy RPG (the actual gameplay & UI are awful).

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »

Planescape: Torment is indeed the best roleplaying game (the story & characters are great), but a pretty lowsy RPG (the actual gameplay & UI are awful).

To each his own.  I really liked the gameplay, and the UI was fine.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »

The boss recycling in Odin Sphere is because the stories cross between them but I agree, even so, it is recycling bosses.
Even so I loved how the stories felt like unique and the same at the same time. The only one I haven't played was Velvet's story and I was much more hyped for her, since the ones I expected to be bad (Prince that turn into a bunny & Faerie that becomes Faerie queen) were quite good, I assume the witch that lives in the woods will be much better. Someday I'll just pick it up to finish it.

The slowdowns sure were a bad thing but I wouldn't trade them for poorer environments. It's like Shadow of the Colossus, I wouldn't trade framerate for the beauty that exists in the game.

Did you fight the Queen of the Underworld? lol
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »

Did you fight the Queen of the Underworld? lol

I was going to say that. What a nightmare, far worse than anything in SOTC.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »

Is that the spiderbitch with the heaving chest?

Anyway.

PS2- SMT: Nocturne

DS - TWEWY

PC - Call of Pripyat

Gamecube - Tales of Symphonia since if I said Twilight Princess it'd set of some sort of HRR DRR NOT RPG WAIT NO IS RPG thing and I'm not in the mood for that so let's just settle the FUCK down and love eachother, alright?

Big fucking love train.

Pullin' into the station.

Now shut the hell up and get your love on.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »

Is that the spiderbitch with the heaving chest?

That skeletal spiderbitch with the heaving chest.

Too bad he didn't fight the dragon/wizard boss with Velvet.

Now that will get you to wish the game didn't suffer from as much slowdown as it does.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2010, 11:21:42 PM »

Have anyone seen this ? “Top 10 RPGs of This Generation”
Some gaming site made a list of the best RPGs of this gen and this site I usually go to, Sankaku Complex made a short article on the list.

The funny thing is that they pointed the same thing I thought when I read the list: Where is Persona ? If I were to make a top 2 RPG I would have to put Persona on it.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: