Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 12:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331795 Posts in 13584 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of the decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of the decade  (Read 34073 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »

Haha I read Sankaku Complex too. Though I don't think that's something we should admit in public. :P

Is Persona technically this generation though?

Edit: FYI to all. Sankaku Complex is definitely NSFW.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:00:53 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »

It's sort of in order, but the numbers are fluid.

Persona 4
Buldar's Gate II
Planescape: Torment... although I  kinda agree with Rob Boyd. I just found the gameplay a little Boring.
Final Fantasy IX
DDS1&2 - I might be willing to replace this with Nocturne considering the general consensus, but I'm only a few hours into it.
Chrono Cross
Crisis Core - The only game that ever made me cry.
Vagrant Story
Pokemon Silver (and Gold too I suppose)
Xenosaga Series - completely subjective pick here. I really love the games, but each one has many faults and taken as a whole the series is just inconsistent.

Not too original, but these generally were the best. Err... maybe I'd replace Xenosaga with Deus Ex or Valkyrie Profile 1/2, I liked them a lot too.

Farron: The lack of Persona isn't too odd, since they said "This Generation" we can presume they don't include PS2 games and they likely skipped over P3P for being a remake. Or atleast that's what I figured.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:55 AM »

So here goes my list of Top 5 RPGs of the decade:

Persona 3 Fes
Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Final Fantasy IX
Dragon Quest VIII
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

With BoF V I didn't know what to expect, since is one of those games that you love or hate. Not to mention that I can't still finish the damn thing (this game kicks my ass and I love it more because of that).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:46:54 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »

Have anyone seen this ? “Top 10 RPGs of This Generation”
Some gaming site made a list of the best RPGs of this gen and this site I usually go to, Sankaku Complex made a short article on the list.

The funny thing is that they pointed the same thing I thought when I read the list: Where is Persona ? If I were to make a top 2 RPG I would have to put Persona on it.

It says this generation, not last generation.

Edit: on second thought, crisis core is there so if they are considering the PSP, P3P should be on the list. The PS2 was definitely not considered for the list though.

I forgot to put CC on my list, damn.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:34:05 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »

RE: Torment.

Taken as an adventure game it plays better than pretty much any adventure game I've ever played outside of like, Quest for Glory.

Taken as an RPG I didn't like the Infinity Engine's combat mechanics anyway (GASP! HEATHEN!) and was thrilled that Torment essentially reduced combat to the point of "Strictly Optional."

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »

Haha I read Sankaku Complex too. Though I don't think that's something we should admit in public. :P

Is Persona technically this generation though?

Edit: FYI to all. Sankaku Complex is definitely NSFW.

Too bad the site is NSFW and I usually find exclusive news there

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Top_20_RPGs_of_the_Last_Decade/index.html

Oh Hi.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2010, 09:18:41 PM »

LMAO did Dincrest really pick an eroge as his #1

I love you man

edit: WHAT no mention of Anachronox?!\

edit2: No WoW in the overall Top 20? I mean, you guys counted FFX for being influential even though as a standalone game it doesn't deserve to be among the ranks of the other top games. Gaming Journalism, I guess.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:21:42 PM by Thoren » Logged
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »

Ever17 was never an eroge.  None of the Infinity series are eroge.  We're not allowed to review eroge.  If we were allowed to include eroge in our picks, Crescendo would have been in my list hands down.  That game was fantastic.

Anachronox was my #2 pick. 

And let the world end right now, I actually agreed with KillerArmoire on something- Lufia: Ruins of Lore was whale diarrhea.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:00:43 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »

As with any list which boils down to opinion, I saw ones I thought "WTF?", but was totally awesome to see Skies Of Arcadia on there and FF 9 placing so high.
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »

If anybody has an N4G account, can you go there and approve our Top 20 RPGs feature so it catches fire?  Or if it's been approved, click on the story and maybe post some comments.  We usually never do this but since this is a big feature that we spent a TON of time working on (we started working on it in July), I wanna try and push it as much as I can so it gains some popularity.  Thanks guys!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »

edit2: No WoW in the overall Top 20? I mean, you guys counted FFX for being influential even though as a standalone game it doesn't deserve to be among the ranks of the other top games. Gaming Journalism, I guess.

I was a little surprised by this too. Technically, no MMOs made it into the top 20, though both FFXI and WoW dotted the "individual top 10" lists pretty nicely.

I think if we had extended it to 25, WoW would have easily been on there. The fight for the #20 was gruesome, and frankly I'm a little surprised TWEWY was the winner, but there you have it. :)

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »

I'm surprised SMT:Nocturne didn't make it, I always got the impression everyone here loved it to death.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

I used to think most everybody dug TWEWY, but it's only recently I've seen people crawling out of the woodwork saying they hated it. 

And Pat, you're still wrong about TWEWY's music:P  TWEWY's music was good!

I still posit that the best game to ever come out on the DS is Trace Memory, but that's just me.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »

I'm surprised SMT:Nocturne didn't make it, I always got the impression everyone here loved it to death.

Sadly I think the issue here was that not enough of the editors *played it* so they had no opinion.

(I fall into said grouping).

With all the SMT on there, you think a title in the main, canon series would make it.

I wonder if/when the true Shin Megami Tensei IV will happen? :)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: