Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327685 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of the decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of the decade  (Read 33326 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2010, 07:53:28 AM »

Even in my individual list, I tried to keep it somewhat diverse.  Even then SMT has multiple slots (with DDS and Eternal Punishment.) 

Oh yeah, anyone else agree with me that the blurb on KOTOR is win? 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »

I wonder if/when the true Shin Megami Tensei IV will happen? :)

It did happen. It's called Strange Journey.

I was just about to point it.
But like the other guy, I'm a little disappointed, just a little. I was enjoying most of it but the dungeons make it so much of a chore.
Honestly I think that I'm disappointed is the the game could have been more balanced. By balanced I mean a better mix between story, combat and exploration. And for me, the immersion is not as good as Nocturne, SJ feels like a really complicated map. I keep playing it just looking at the bottom screen, barely looking at the environments. Maybe if the dungeons were shorter I could feel more pulled in because the story is really good as far as I've seen.

Ramza was wondering about the true Shin Megami Tensei IV. Strange Journey is indeed part of the main series. It is considered by many to be SMT IV, but I doubt it actually is.

If we considered this game to be the 4th entry, then what about if... and NINE? Those share the some story elements of the main series too, just like Strange Journey.

Look at Resident Evil Code Veronica: X for example, it is a sequel in the main series and comes after RE 3, but is not Resident Evil 4.

Back on topic: The list is great. Even if Nocturne and Demon's Souls didn't make it it's still the best list out there.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:08 AM »

Demon's Souls is on my individual list.

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »

It breaks my heart to see Mana Khemia in the Hall of Shame list, because I love that game so much, though the PSP port does sound 20 kinds of awful.

Note, it's only the UMD version. The PSN version is actually a pretty good game.

Pretty good list overall, but the lack of SMT: Nocturne was shocking. Also I was a little surprised that no one (unless I overlooked them) put either Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=392 - or Titan Quest (i.e. the best Hack & Slash RPG in existence at the moment) on their list.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »

i was livid VC didn't make the list. It is #3 on my individual selection.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »

Didn't the developers say that their reason for not calling Strange Journey SMTIV is because it doesn't take place in Tokyo?
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »

Pretty much. I see SJ as a side-story game, like If.

A good game in its own right, but not a numbered title.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

Repost in here then =/

Overall, a solid list.

#18 - Ever 17: Out of Infinity (PC)
Sometimes, I wish I could be struck by amnesia, just to enjoy discovering this story again.

#12 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Why was KotOR better than KotOR2?

#7 - Chrono Cross (PSone)
but no Chrono Trigger? madness I say

OK, someone said CT is 16 years old -> not the remake
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »

Just wanted to clarify something since there are some who seem to think we "forgot" about this or that game or that "how come this game isn't on the list?", etc.

As mentioned on that first page of the feature, this is a result of the way we did this thing.  Every editor chose their 10 favorite RPGs of the decade and then points were assigned for the positions that the games received on everybody's list.  As such, we didn't "forget" about Demon's Souls or Nocturne or Valkyria Chronicles, it's just that not enough editors included those games into their Top 10 and that's why it didn't end up on the list.  As such, we don't claim that this list is an ultimate "best of" list and that "RPGFan" thinks that Kingdom Hearts is better than Demon's Souls or whatever other game didn't make the list (like WoW), it's just a matter of certain games ending up on more lists than the other and in higher positions.  Some games made it in because more people played them and as a result they got more votes while another game didn't because not enough editors had time to play it, etc.  As an example, both Lunar 2 and Ever 17 were included in only 2 lists but because of how high they were on those editor's list they got a lot of points and ended up making the Top 20.  There are other games that were on 5 or 6 editor's list but because they were in 7th or 8th position, that didn't garner them enough points to make the Top 20.  As I mentioned, keep in mind that this wasn't a "discussion" amongst ourselves of the best RPGs, it was a pure points system with no room for debate.  Just like some of you are disappointed in certain games not being included in the Top 20, many editors felt the same way too.  That's the nature of ANY lists.  Nobody is ever going to be COMPLETELY satisfied.  However, this is how things fell using the points system so just keep that in mind.  We didn't "forget" any games, it's just that those games didn't get enough points based on everyone's lists.  That's all.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »

Understandable, but shame on you all for putting FFX so high *folds arms*
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »

There was no remake of CT.  There were two ports.  It's still the same SNES game that came out over 10 years ago, so it doesn't count for this decade.

And CT was terrible.  Cross is better in every way.

As for the actual list, I have most of the same gripes as everyone else.  I don't really feel that both Kingdom Hearts games should have been on, and there are several (Valkyria Chronicles, Nocturne, etc) that I felt should have had a spot.  But whatever, it's just opinions man.

And Flower Sun and Rain is so totally not one of the worst RPG's of the decade because A: It's not even really an RPG and B: It was supposed to be bad, therefore it is good because it succeeded.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:22:57 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »

And to answer the question about Chrono Trigger, in general, we tried to stay away from remakes or re-releases as much as possible like CT and FFIV on this feature since we're trying to judge the best RPGs of the last decade and I think we consider these RPGs more as 1990s RPGs and not 2000s RPGs.  If we ever do a best of the 90s list, then these games would definitely make the list.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »

Don't get me wrong, not complaining about the list. To each his own taste.

But yeah... how was KotOR1 better? Somebody refresh my memory, it's been so long. Weren't 1 and 2 pretty similar story wise? but 2 having better graphics and a lot more jedis?
That's about all I remember from the game.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »

Two was a mediocre and incomplete game.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »

Repost in here then =/

Overall, a solid list.

#18 - Ever 17: Out of Infinity (PC)
Sometimes, I wish I could be struck by amnesia, just to enjoy discovering this story again.

#12 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Why was KotOR better than KotOR2?

#7 - Chrono Cross (PSone)
but no Chrono Trigger? madness I say

It's not a remake. It's a re-release on a different system. We might as well consider every final fantasy ever for the list then.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: