Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327258 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of the decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of the decade  (Read 33212 times)
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »

A solid list, but I'm fucking sick and tired of people using their opinions on the Knights of the Old Republic games to bash the Star Wars prequels. They were actually better reviewed than the original movies were when they were first release, and the original trilogy isn't that fucking perfect, either, and I could list a ton of plot holes in the original trilogy.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »

CT DS was also on my individual list.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:50 PM »

A solid list, but I'm fucking sick and tired of people using their opinions on the Knights of the Old Republic games to bash the Star Wars prequels. They were actually better reviewed than the original movies were when they were first release, and the original trilogy isn't that fucking perfect, either, and I could list a ton of plot holes in the original trilogy.

Terrible plot, terrible characters, lack of intense dialog during action scenes, overuse of cgi, etc. 
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

I was quite shocked when I saw the DDS games as #1. Never even occurred to me that that was a possibility. Granted, I've never played them, so I have no opinion on the matter.
Actually, I've never really played ANY of the Persona/SMT/DDS games outside of playing Persona 2 for about a half hour and not liking it.
I've mostly avoided them because they seem to be very long and difficult games. I have no patience for either of those traits nowadays.
Happy to see Skies so far up the list.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »

Great list you guys made.

However I still feel Deus Ex deserved a spot there...

Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2010, 04:31:10 PM »

Solid list, i can't stand the appeal of Persona games as i don't like random dungeon generator in single player RPGs. Maybe it is just me, but Tartarus is the most lazy random dungeon of all time ~_~ .
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

Don't get me wrong, not complaining about the list. To each his own taste.

Since I'm assuming this also addresses Chrono Trigger... Ok, no "my opinion!" doesn't cut it. It's the same game from the very middle of the last decade, one that was released in English then at that, as great as it may be it HAS to step back and let other games take the honor. It'd be the same as someone saying Seven Samurai's the best movie of 2010 because it has a new blu-ray release coming in a month, even though there's movies like Inception that are well received and worthy of the recognition. You'd just be regurgitating old favorites when the entire point of lists like these is to highlight the games of a specific time period.

As for games like Persona 3 and 4 or KotOR1 and 2: Well, we're not talking about something like Madden here. They're distinct enough and some people favor one over the other, plus it's not like they'd crowd out a list anyway. Especially in the case of KotOR1/2, where people either love or hate 2, at least most people like P4 whether or not they prefer P3.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »

Small comment about Lunar 2: the two bathing scenes weren't in the Sega CD original. There was just one, where she freaked out.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2010, 05:31:53 PM »

Actually, Lunar reminds me: my thoughts above don't apply to remakes like those or Zero Mission. They're effectively different games that follow the same basic plot (moreso for Zero Mission admittedly), so I don't see a problem at all with them winning the same awards as any other game released around the time they were.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:51:55 PM by Eusis » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »

Don't get me wrong, not complaining about the list. To each his own taste.

Since I'm assuming this also addresses Chrono Trigger... Ok, no "my opinion!" doesn't cut it.

Actually, that had nothing to do with CT. The explanation on how ports were not included was clear enough about your selection process. Are you naturally that aggressive on forums or just facing a bad day?

Small comment about Lunar 2: the two bathing scenes weren't in the Sega CD original. There was just one, where she freaked out.

Where they on the PSX version? I know the videos were on the disk, but I have never found out how to see them in-game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:36:45 PM by Annubis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »

Actually, that had nothing to do with CT. The explanation on how ports were not included was clear enough about your selection process. Are you naturally that aggressive on forums or just facing a bad day?

Sorry, I have to admit it's a pet peeve of mine, though usually it's reader votes where this actually tends to happen. Some place like GameFaqs did have the readers vote in CT for best DS game of 2008 for example.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »

Yeah. And the Sega CD Lunar 2 wasn't a game of the past decade. We were talking about...

The added bathing scene early in the game was an excellent directorial decision. Hey, one more reason it's in the top 20! :)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »

Funny thought: if it weren't for WD's notoriety for delays (and the fact the Saturn crashed spectacularly over here) I doubt Lunar 2 would've qualified. Damn, I'd nearly forgotten how long that took to actually reach America, though I think Silver Star Story was even worse there.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »

did some staff people choose not to add top 10 lists?
a lot of staff names are missing

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »

Some were busy, and didn't have time to or simply didn't want to participate for various reasons. It was optional whether they wanted to do it or not, and usually don't result in putting a gun over their head to get things done. :)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: