Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338694 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of the decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of the decade  (Read 35327 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »

I agreed with most of the titles in the list... but I hoped for some of the wild arms titles on the list.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »

Man, I generally like the series but they wouldn't be in my personal top list of any kind of games. Within a single year at best, but a whole decade gives ripe opportunity for several other games to knock them aside.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »

Well they are at least fun to play... strangely enough I did not see dragon age in the list... It won game of the year on this site...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »

I can't speak for them, but it's easily possible that opinions soured in hindsight or that it simply wasn't as memorable as other titles were for them. Come to think of it, were any 2009 games on that list?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »

Don't know if it'll make you feel better, but Dragon Age did get votes - it would have been #23, if the list had gone farther.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »

Let's just make it the Top 200 RPG's of the Decade and make everyone happy. :)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2010, 07:07:45 PM »

I can't speak for them, but it's easily possible that opinions soured in hindsight or that it simply wasn't as memorable as other titles were for them. Come to think of it, were any 2009 games on that list?

Yeah, I think Dragon Age and a few other more recent games fell victim to the "nostalgia" factor.  When people make lists of favorites, they often tend to put older games first because they remember those games fondly and there's the "nostalgia" factor that comes into effect.  With Dragon Age being so recent, it's tough to be nostalgic about it hence why it fell short on many people's lists.  A lot of people who enjoyed Dragon Age probably put games like Baldur's Gate II on their list instead, etc.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia in lists like these.  I know I'm going to get lynched here but Final Fantasy IV has a cult-like status amongst RPG fans and many people consider it one of the best RPG EVER.  Personally, I think that's mostly nostalgia at work here since so many people played that game when they were younger or because it was one of their first RPG, etc.   Personally, I played that game for the first time a few years ago (on GBA) and I thought it was pretty average.  Just a typical cookie-cutter JRPG with nothing special about it.  But again, without the "nostalgia" going for it, all I had to rely upon was what the game offers and compared to other RPGs I've played on 16-bit consoles, I didn't think it was that good.  But I certainly understand that many people who played it back then would have a different opinion of it because they still remember how much fun they had with the game *at the time*.  We always have a special place in our hearts for the first few RPGs we've played in our life.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »

I know I'm going to get lynched here but Final Fantasy IV has a cult-like status amongst RPG fans and many people consider it one of the best RPG EVER.  Personally, I think that's mostly nostalgia at work here since so many people played that game when they were younger or because it was one of their first RPG, etc.   Personally, I played that game for the first time a few years ago (on GBA) and I thought it was pretty average.  Just a typical cookie-cutter JRPG with nothing special about it.  But again, without the "nostalgia" going for it, all I had to rely upon was what the game offers and compared to other RPGs I've played on 16-bit consoles, I didn't think it was that good.  But I certainly understand that many people who played it back then would have a different opinion of it because they still remember how much fun they had with the game *at the time*.  We always have a special place in our hearts for the first few RPGs we've played in our life.

Haha, there's an opinion I agree with more now than I would've 10 years ago. It's still a fun, breezy game, but now that I'm older I see how ridiculous it really was and now something like the DQs that came out at the same time period (IV and V) are far more satisfying for me. It's a significant RPG, but it hasn't held up as a GREAT one even if it actually aged fairly well and is more playable than a lot of other RPGs from then.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »

Even if Dragon Age wasn't there, Bioware still represented quite well with Mass Effect, KOTOR, and Baldur's Gate II.  And although it's trendy these days to hate on JRPGs because they're going stale, JRPGs were pretty dominant the first half of the decade.  10 years is a long time.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

Eric going crazy hating on ff4 again.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:31 PM »

FFIV sucks.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »

FFIV itīs my favorite FF from the Snes era. I just donīt think I can play it again and shatter all those good memories.

Thereīs one title that bugs me: Skies of arcadia, how does it stand as one of the best rpg of the last decade?

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »

FFIV itīs my favorite FF from the Snes era. I just donīt think I can play it again and shatter all those good memories.

Thereīs one title that bugs me: Skies of arcadia, how does it stand as one of the best rpg of the last decade?

Everyone has their own preferences. For example, I thought Persona 2: Eternal Punishment should have been on the list and that Kingdom Hearts shouldn't have been mentioned at all, but plenty of other people love Kingdom Hearts with a passion. If I were to make a top 20 list for the decade, it would be very different from the RPGFan one. Different people like and dislike different things.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:38:38 AM by badsanta » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »

How does it not!? ;)

It's got some great gameplay with some top-notch ideas, fun (if cliche) characters, funky spell/spirit system in battle, airship fights, huge world to explore, lots of secrets to discover, pretty good story (though again, a bit cliche), and a whole lot of charm. Plus, personally, I just found it really fun to play.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:51:10 PM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »

How does it not!? ;)

It's got some great gameplay with some top-notch ideas, fun (if cliche) characters, funky spell/spirit system in battle, airship fights, huge world to explore, lots of secrets to discover, pretty good story (though again, a bit cliche), and a whole lot of charm. Plus, personally, I just found it really fun to play.

The gameīs fun, I give you that, itīs just that it does not seems so memorable as any of the games in the list. I played the game many years ago and I only remenbers the flaws of the game. XD

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: