Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 09:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Is Trine worth picking up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is Trine worth picking up?  (Read 1181 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »

It's a downloadable PSN RPG with up to 3 player co-op. I've been getting into these co-op RPG's lately, but they're few and far between. Deathspank made me want more. The game looks nice and the few reviews I've read were positive. Looks like a pltformer RPG with maybe some ICO-ish environmental manipulation puzzles.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »

First of all, I wouldn't really call Trine an RPG.  It does have some leveling up, but then so does God of War and nobody is going to call that an RPG.  Trine is more of a puzzle-platformer.

Now, is the game good or not?  It certainly does have some things to recommend it.  It's very pretty, has nice atmosphere, and some clever puzzles.  Unfortunately I found it to be extremely repetitive.  The game is actually pretty long (for a downloadable game, anyway) but you spend most of the game going through the same motions over and over.  Even most of the puzzles can generally be solved with just a handful of approaches so it doesn't push you to think outside the box, and the combat...ugh.  It's not that the combat is bad, per se, but the game has the annoying habit of putting skeleton spawn points where a single skeleton would have sufficed.  Instead of just killing the skeleton and moving on you kill one, another one appears in the same exact spot, you kill it the same exact way, another one appears, etc. until you have killed about 10 of them and they finally stop spawning.  It feels like a stupid mechanic for artificially extending a game's length.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »

What Kevadu said. :)

If you're looking for co-op action stuff on the PS3, you might also try Marvel Ultimate Alliance, 1 or 2.  I haven't played #2 on home consoles (got burned out after two portable reviews), but the first one allows for co-op where two people are playing as four characters and can switch between who they're controlling at any time, as well as having an "arcade" mode, where each of you just has one character and can only switch to a new character at save points.

Putting it that way makes it sound bad to play in arcade mode, but it's less chaotic and easier to keep track of who you're playing, so it's definitely got its advantages.

If you've got a backwards compatible PS3, or a PS2 available to you, there are a number of that games like that available.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:04:09 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »

I don't know if it still is, but Trine was 20 bucks originally and that's too much money. I beat it with friends in about 4 hours. We enjoyed it and moved on. Solid game, but nothing amazing.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »

I don't know if it still is, but Trine was 20 bucks originally and that's too much money. I beat it with friends in about 4 hours. We enjoyed it and moved on. Solid game, but nothing amazing.

I believe it's $10 everywhere now. I still need to beat it, but the production values were definitely $20 worthy.

And... I should move this, only Square Enix insists this is an RPG.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »

You beat it in 4 hours?!  You obviously do not obsessively hunt green spheres the way I do.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »

You beat it in 4 hours?!  You obviously do not obsessively hunt green spheres the way I do.

Haha I guess not.

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »

The game is $10 now.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:14:09 AM »

For 10$ it is worth it, it's fun while it lasts and looks great. If you have the option of getting it on PC, wait for it to be on sale from Direct2Drive or Steam, because you could probably get it for like 5$ or less when they have their crazy sales.

If money is short, I say pass. You can live without it and it only lasts a few hours if you're not into getting 100% in your games.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:30:29 PM »

Like Danku said, picking it up for sale on Steam is probably the best way to buy the game. The mouse control is definitely superior when playing as the wizard or thief, and it's probably cheaper. Co-op might be a bit harder to pull off though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: