Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 03:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329726 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  My tastes in RPG's have really changed.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: My tastes in RPG's have really changed.  (Read 4955 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:29:27 AM »

And I can't figure out why. I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and been into RPG's since they first started appearing on home consoles. Since the end of the NES days/beginning of the SNES days up until about 2 1/2 years ago, I literally played nothing but JRPG's. Well, I played some other games here and there, but 99% of what I bought and played were JRPG's. So much so, I was made fun of for it. :P Also, I was a promoter/Defender of 2D JRPG's for a good 5 years after 2D had "died". Anyway, playing the more western RPG's of late on the 360 and PS3, I got hooked, andnd now I find it REALLY hard to go back to the old tedious JRPG mechanics/gameplay. The whole level up, go through a dungeon, get to a new town, level up some more seems old and tired now. The one and only game series I find I care to play anymore that is JRPG are the Tales games. Just kind of writing thoughts here, wondering if anyone else has experienced this as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:37:54 AM by Britton » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »

Sometimes it's like with food.  Let's say your favorite food is pizza.  If you eat it every day, you will eventually get tired of it.  So you take a break from pizza and how long till you get the taste for it back again varies with the person.  

As a reviewer, I have the opportunity to play a lot of games.  But even then, what I think I like or what I normally look for doesn't always pan out as expected.  I normally favor creatively designed, forward thinking RPGs.  Thus I thought I would fall head over heels for Resonance of Fate, but instead it was the very traditional Hexyz Force that I found unputdownable.  RoF is fantastic and in all respects the clearly superior game, but Hexyz Force just did "it" for me.  It's like when you look at some couples and wonder, "What does s/he see in him/her?"  

EDIT: Or on another note, I'm very much into indie gaming and stuff that falls under the radar.  Basically the non-mainstream "hipster" RPGs.  I actually avoided FF13 for a while (especially hearing all the flak about it) but an opportunity presented itself where procuring FF13 would greatly help out a friend so I did and I'm really enjoying the game.  I am so glad fate made me put my "hipster tunnel-vision" aside because otherwise I would have missed out on a good experience.

In other words, just like with dating, it's good to sometimes put "type" aside and just go out with someone who isn't your usual "type."  Because you just never know.  Sure it's maddening hearing people say, "I'm so happy with this person, but s/he's not the type I ususally go for."  If it makes you happy, it makes you happy.  Enjoy the happiness.  It's like that wacky balance of what you want, what you need, and what you actually get.  I have a reputation among the staff for often taking on games that no one else really wants to, so I find myself "dating" games that aren't my usual "type."  Sometimes they're crap, a lot of times they're meh, but other times they're something special.  

Are there certain traits for RPGs and graphic adventures that never go out of style for me?  Absolutely.  For example, if a game's main characters do not compel me to go adventuring with them, I'll be less inclined to play.  Or if the music makes me cringe, that will definitely affect my enjoyment and my personal reviewer's tilt. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:20:22 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »

I am actually in the same boat as Mr. Britton. For the longest time all I played was jrpgs(with the occassional metroid/castlevania/Zelda thrown in) and thought they were the best games EVAR! I didn't even give other games a chance, especially wrpgs. I got an xbox and tried out Kotor. After an hour or two I gave up on it. Way too complicated for me. Then I tried Fable. It wasn't the best, but it was still kinda fun. What REALLY turned me around was getting a 360. For a while all I played was western developed games. Dead Space, Gears of War, Mass Effect. I bought Lost Odyssey, but gave up pretty quick. The only good part was the memories, or whatever they were called. Then I tried Vesperia. Another lame jrpg cast and story.
Since then I've played through Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2. Bioware makes it very difficult to go back to silly jrpg stories.
I still need to play FFXIII, but just can't get myself to do it. Actually, the time commitment is the biggest roadblock. If it was a 30 hr game, I may have already played it. 70 hr games I just don't have time for anymore.
There are absolutely ZERO jrpgs on my radar right now. I am most excited for the new Metroid coming at the end of this month.
I'm also digging the shorter arcade games like Limbo. Only 4 hrs, but a great game that I can actually finish. I'm going to dl Deathspank, too, as that looks like fun.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »

I can only play fast-paced games (or the artsy ones, meant to play out "differently").
Tales, Star Ocean, I need something that moves fast or is somewhat of a clever design (ie; Resonance of Fate).  It's partly the reason why a lot of the DS RPGs bore me - developers prefer to be simple in that kind of a handheld, no room for innovative gameplay (aside from the gimmicky touch screen).  I hate turn based now, unless the game has made an effort to make it more difficult or add in a few factors to change it up and make it more interesting. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »

I'm a gamer since the commodore 64 days and I found it's better to judge games on an individual basis.
Lets look at the jrpgs I've played this year:
FFXIII
ROF
Demon's Souls
Nier

These games couldn't be more different from each other if they tried! Even if you hate FFXIII with a passion there's still a good chance that DS might be your favorite game ever or vice versa. I loved them all, they all have their flaws but in the end they were all worth the time and money for me. Bottom line is that you can't completely write off a whole genre when there is so much diversity in it. It seems to me that you might not enjoy FFXIII or ROF because both have some of the typical flaws you find in jrpgs (though both games are very different), you mention "old tedious JRPG mechanics/gameplay" and both have them in one way or another.

But try Nier or DS if you have a PS3. Or valkyria chronicles. You may not like them, but it won't be because of "old tedious JRPG mechanics/gameplay", these games are something else and deserve to be judged on their own merits. The fact that they break the mold of the typical jrpg doesn't automatically guarantee that you will like them but  give them a chance.

You also shouldn't limit yourself to one genre. The other games I've bought this year aside from the rpgs mentioned above are god of war 3, SSF4 and guitar hero metallica, so whatever my mood is there's always something that makes me want to pick up the controller. Next will be GT5, I try to play the best games within each genre (unless it's a genre I don't like) because I think that otherwise I'm missing out on some great experiences. Gamers have so many great experiences at their disposal. The thrill of an online fight in SSF4, the panic of being invaded by a black phantom in demonís souls, the adrenaline of an online race or a deathmatch in your favourite racer/FPS. Lots of great stuff to try out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:53:10 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »

For me, it's little more than jRPGs of late have been few and not that great. But I know I'm still rockin' the old stuff. I've been loving Dragon Quest V DS. And I can't wait to start DQIX on the plane tonight (I've been saving it for my vacation). I quite enjoyed some aspects of FFXIII (music, characters, graphics) hated others (plot, streamlining), but I haven't enjoyed many console jRPGs this generation. Tales of Vesparia was "meh", Lost Odyssey was okay, liked the characters/plot/writing. But really, what has their been? Resonance of Fate never called out to me (not to mention, I hate Tri-Ace), and nothing else has really grabbed me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »

Personally I can never leave my retro taste.I will always and forever stay a JRPG fan.Level 5 will always stay as my favorite developer of all time.I will likely never get annoyed or frustrated with JRPGs(apart from FFXIII) and I will always try out the newest one released.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

For some reason, every RPG I've really gotten into this year has been either a DQ or an SMT game. I'm starting to find that those two franchises (along with Rune Factory) do the best job of giving me what I want in an RPG.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »

Good story/writing/characters can carry me past even the shittiest slow battle systems
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »

Good story/writing/characters can carry me past even the shittiest slow battle systems

That's what I thought until I played Xenosaga 2. Then I realized only suckers seriously believe that.

Britton: Your opinions mirror mine somewhat, though Lord Scottish is even closer. I've always been interested in trying out Bioware's games, but a good console incarnation was needed to really hook me in. That, and I think JRPGs have been drifting away from what made me like them in the first place, DQ still manages to nail that for me while MegaTen gives me something I simply don't get with other RPGs.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »

Your loss, not mine!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »

OK, enjoy being bored stiff or outright aggravated by awful dragged out gameplay as you reach those nuggets of marginally decent story.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »

JRPGs have been drifting away from what made me like them in the first place

Weirdly enough, that's how I feel about WRPGS in general and Bioware games in particular. Liked KOTOR, hated Mass Effect.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »

JRPGs have been drifting away from what made me like them in the first place

Weirdly enough, that's how I feel about WRPGS in general and Bioware games in particular. Liked KOTOR, hated Mass Effect.

I wouldn't go that far, but ME2 DID lose something of what I liked from ME1. Dragon Age made up somewhat for what was lost from KotOR to ME2, but it seems like Dragon Age 2 is going down a path similar to ME instead.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »

MegaTen gives me something I simply don't get with other RPGs.

Mouthboobs.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: