Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:09:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319300 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  My tastes in RPG's have really changed.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: My tastes in RPG's have really changed.  (Read 4751 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »

My tastes remain the same. Give me a good game w/ a good story and fun game mechanics.

Good story can either be character dialogue in various forms or even interesting text (like in Dragon Age. I probably read 90% of the text in that game).

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »

Do you think Nier is better than Vesperia and Dragon Age ? I'm not asking this to piss you off or anything is that I'm sincerely thinking of giving Nier a chance, but that shallow hack n' slash nature of it kind of pushes me away. The story I know people are saying it's great but every video I see of it the impression I have is that all you have to do is press the attack button non-stop. Not to mention that those enemies between bosses look boring and lifeless as hell.

In youtube I've watched up to the part where you meet "Kaine" for the first time. Beside she cursing and something interesting from Grimoire Weiss sometimes I still haven't seem much on it.

Dragon Age and Vesperia are better games, but Nier was preferable to me. What can I say... It's an unforgettable game. It's soulful, ever-changing and fun. I advise you to check the 2 RPGFan reviews if you haven't done that yet.

Back on topic: I've been thinking of the possibility of Versus XIII taking queues from wrpgs like Fallout. It already has a wasteland where you can free roam and a world that's pretty much post-apocalyptic. What if they added a complex dialogue system? hmm...

Noctis walks up to a man:-

Man: Oh sir, would you help me with this predicament?

Noctis: A) Calm down. Tell me what's wrong.
           B) I'm willing to help if you're willing to cough up some Gil.
           C) Don't waste my time, peasant!
           D) DIE!

Yeah, something similar would be nice. Imagine the game combining the best things from both sub-genres. The Japanese unique imagination and polish and the western focus on dialogue, characters and choices. Bah! Who am I kidding. It'll be eons before something that good comes from S-E.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »

Do you think Nier is better than Vesperia and Dragon Age ? I'm not asking this to piss you off or anything is that I'm sincerely thinking of giving Nier a chance, but that shallow hack n' slash nature of it kind of pushes me away. The story I know people are saying it's great but every video I see of it the impression I have is that all you have to do is press the attack button non-stop. Not to mention that those enemies between bosses look boring and lifeless as hell.

In youtube I've watched up to the part where you meet "Kaine" for the first time. Beside she cursing and something interesting from Grimoire Weiss sometimes I still haven't seem much on it.

Dragon Age and Vesperia are better games, but Nier was preferable to me. What can I say... It's an unforgettable game. It's soulful, ever-changing and fun. I advise you to check the 2 RPGFan reviews if you haven't done that yet.

Back on topic: I've been thinking of the possibility of Versus XIII taking queues from wrpgs like Fallout. It already has a wasteland where you can free roam and a world that's pretty much post-apocalyptic. What if they added a complex dialogue system? hmm...
This is a Bold statement, Versus XIII isn't a post-apocalyptic or WRPG esque/big consistent field. so don't blame SE for this.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »

This is a Bold statement, Versus XIII isn't a post-apocalyptic or WRPG esque/big consistent field. so don't blame SE for this.

I didn't mean "post-apocalyptic" in a literal sense. Judging from trailers and screens the game's world is partially destroyed, like the aftermath of some war. Anyways, having consistent fields and the game being post-apocalyptic is beside the point.

All I'm saying is that Western developers are adapting fast, and it's time for the Japanese to do the same without messing it up. Even if that means taking some queues from wrpgs.

Of course some jrpg developers are doing things right like the Demon's Souls team.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:56:21 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »

I used to only play action-RPGs and games that offered tons of customization, and little in the way of story. Now I enjoy the whole pallette of the genre and have learned to try and enjoy any game I play for what it does, instead of stressing over what it fails to do. Like what many have already said, as you experience more games and even try different types of games your tastes start to change. Heck, I even recently found myself disliking a game because it lacked story, which is certainly a turn of events for me. I also used to hate Western RPGs, yet after playing Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Planescape, Ultima, and Wizardry...I still despised Western-style RPGs. But I despised them less, and that's certainly better than before.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »

I used to play RPGs for the story/characters. Now I can barely stand it, be it a jRPG or wRPG. That's why I'm more interested in dungeon crawlers: minimal plot and all gameplay goodness.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »

I used to play RPGs for the story/characters. Now I can barely stand it, be it a jRPG or wRPG. That's why I'm more interested in dungeon crawlers: minimal plot and all gameplay goodness.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I can't stand the narrative aspects of RPGs, but I agree with your overall point. For me, the combat and the character customization is the primary draw of RPGs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: