Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:49:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340915 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Facts About You!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Facts About You!  (Read 13721 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »

Eight years, here. I don't even notice that I don't eat meat anymore. It just never really occurs to me.

Same here. I don't even notice. One thing I realized after I became vegetarian was that I never really liked the taste of meat, it was always the flavoring that was on it that I liked. And I think this applies to most people that eat meat. Most people won't eat raw meat and say "MMMM! That's delicious!" Or meat without any flavoring.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

And I think this applies to most people that eat meat. Most people won't eat raw meat and say "MMMM! That's delicious!" Or meat without any flavoring.

I would disagree.  Seasoning and sauce is not meant to mask the natural flavors of the meat, merely enhance it.  A nice steak slathered with a mushroom and onion sauce tastes nothing like a tofu steak with the same sauce.  I know a lot of people who have said the same thing as you when they went vegetarian, but when it comes down to it good meat tastes damn good with absolutely no sauce and just a little salt to bring out the natural flavor.  And I think anyone that eats meat would agree with that.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »

Indeed, as a shameless meat eater, I enjoy the taste of meat. Although I am crazy paranoid about cooking it, or when other people cook it. I can't eat it if it shows the slightest hint of pink, even in steak. I just have this thing about raw meat.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »

And I think this applies to most people that eat meat. Most people won't eat raw meat and say "MMMM! That's delicious!" Or meat without any flavoring.

I would disagree.  Seasoning and sauce is not meant to mask the natural flavors of the meat, merely enhance it.  A nice steak slathered with a mushroom and onion sauce tastes nothing like a tofu steak with the same sauce.  I know a lot of people who have said the same thing as you when they went vegetarian, but when it comes down to it good meat tastes damn good with absolutely no sauce and just a little salt to bring out the natural flavor.  And I think anyone that eats meat would agree with that.

That's true. I never saw it that way. Regardless, I have no desire to eat meat, nor do I miss it. I also don't want anyone to think I'm one of those crazy vegetarians that hates people who eat meat :P I don't care what anyone else eats.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 03:20:33 PM »

There are few things better than a high-quality rare steak.

Interesting side note:  All the sauces and flavorings that French cooking is famous for were really developed to hide the taste of rotting meat during a time when refridgeration was not exactly normal.  And although there are many wonderful things about French cooking they still don't seem to know how to cook a steak.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »

I like my meat dishes nice and simple.  An overseasoned and overcooked steak just isn't right to me.  Then again, I prefer all my food with clean and simple flavors.  I'm all about quality ingredients cooked well.  They say that if you really want to see how good the chef at a restaurant is, order the simplest dish on the menu. 

When it comes to vegetarian food, nothing's better than Indian food.  This is not an opinion, this is a fact.  Considering the culture has been primarily vegetarian for generations, Indian vegetarian food is a bazillion times more evolved than vegetarian food elsewhere.  Of course, we established in one of Dice's other threads that Indian food rules. 

But the sentiment people express about going veg is how I feel about going dry.  I don't miss booze at all.  I have to have my coffee or tea, though (just 1 cup a day.)  Sometimes it's not easy (especially since I dislike drinking soda and that's what's often the non-alcoholic option at parties or bars; I'd rather have bottled water) because there is drinking culture almost everywhere in the world, but most people are supportive of me not drinking.  Most of my friends and family drink and I'm alright with that.  I used to drink, smoke, and do drugs (I loved beer tasting) so I have no right to judge. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »

I know a lot of people who have said the same thing as you when they went vegetarian, but when it comes down to it good meat tastes damn good with absolutely no sauce and just a little salt to bring out the natural flavor.

A lot of people feel strongly about cilantro, either loving it or hating it. I'm really of the mindset that it's genetic. There ARE certain genetic configurations that affect how you actually taste things. We did experiments with it in biolab.

I wonder if meat might actually be the same way, because even when I ate meat, I can't say I recall thinking it really had much flavor to it. Maybe this vague, smokey, metallic taste for beef... Chicken... I don't know. I ate fish for like a year or so before I went vegetarian. I'd eat other meats, but they just were like... bland. Flavorless. Then fish started getting that way.

It's like my taste receptors for whatever flavor compounds are in meat disappeared.

I'm guessing that's maybe the main reason I went vegetarian? I don't know. I seriously have no idea why I stopped eating me though I do recall that I *always* found the texture unappealing -- even as a little kid -- and, as I said, about a year before I stopped eating me I kind of lost the ability to taste it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

Mesh- that is true about cilantro.  Some people love it (I do), some people think it tastes like soap.  It's a source of contention between my cousin and my uncle- he refuses to believe that she doesn't like kotamali (Tamil word for cilantro) since she's obviously Indian and a lot of Indian food has cilantro.  Eggplant and coconut harbor a similar thing (it makes some peoples' mouths itch). 

And for me and booze, it was in January when Dogfish Head, a beer I actually really liked, tasted like poison to me.  That's when I felt like my body was telling me it was the right time to quit drinking. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »

I don't think I could describe what any food tastes like, let alone chicken, which is notorious for it's apparent knack for tasting like everything. I will say that I love the taste of fish, but hate the texture. Actually, now that I think of it, all the meats I really like are very, very tough, like steak and lamb. I make people overcook a chicken so the meat is more firm than it's supposed to be. Weird. I don't eat duck, but that's because duck tastes like soil.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »

I think duck tastes a bit like blood. It's that kind of meat, I guess.

I can go weeks without eating meat and not realize it until someone takes me out for a steak or something. When that happens, it's easy to enjoy the taste of meat but I can't polish off a whole steak unless I was starving. I don't think I'd ever go vegetarian but meat is gradually becoming a less central part of my meals these days.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »

Meat FTW

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »

Dice topics never fail to digress. What's with all the food discussions lately!?
I definitely enjoy the texture, as well as taste, of meat.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

It's like an episode of Digimon. Not a single episode goes by without 5 minutes dedicated to the team talking about food.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »

We recently implemented "Meatless Mondays" in our house in an effort to wean ourselves off of eating meat with every meal. I like it because I am forced to be creative and try new things. I could cheat and make grilled cheese or pasta, but my wife bought some vegetarian cookbooks. I've now ingested such things as Zucchini lasagna and Kuku.
I plan on trying some of those Indian dishes Neal talked about in another thread. They sounded delicious.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »

Been meaning to post in this thread but I get real lazy and sidetracked easily (random fact). Anyhow.

-I tend to be very easygoing and lax, trying to be everyones friend and hate getting into conflicts, arguments, debates etc.

-I consider myself to have an insane level of resistance for a lot of faults in many game faults that seem to aggravate so many others. Slow grind? Eh, whatever. Fake difficulties? It sucks, but I go with it. Bad and clichefest stories with ridiculous moments? I can mentally flicker my mindset to go with the flow and easily enjoy things for what it is. Ear gratingly bad voice acting? Music to my ears. Maybe this is why I can handle JRPGs so well still even though I'm 23, and can genuinely enjoy things on a personal level.

-With food, I cannot handle spices and most sea food. Can eat some sushi, crab, oysters,red salmon and fried calamari, but shrimp and most other fishes, especially tuna, gets me feeling really nauseous by the smell alone.

-I seem to have a knack for cooling off a lot of hot tempered friends, and at times, prevent them from doing crazy stuff. They really took a shine to me on how well I am towards them... even though there are a couple of times when I feel like a nervous wreck, and feel one slip up would cause insane rage.

-I have a bad habit of getting really worried about the most trivial of things towards friends or myself, thinking at times if I did something wrong when I don't hear from some, and thinking if I keep messing up, being annoying, but were being polite in handling me, etc... I seriously need to relax more as some of my friends here might indicate.

-I seem to enjoy trying to read and like to guess the things some people will say or do if such and such happens. My family is really predictable, but I seem to get it right often with a few friends, even if I don't know them that long, but my worry habit kicks in when they stem away from the usual pattern or behavior.

-I also enjoy reactions of friends, and sometimes intentionally say or do something weird, just to see how they'll react. It's my own odd way of having fun. :p

-Unless it's a review, I tend to be really selective on the songs I listen to in soundtracks. Once I pick that winner, I just go on repeat, even if there are 30 other songs present. That sadly tends for me to overlook some winners, but ah well, I just cling to the stuff I like. I may have a few thousand tunes on my ipod touch, but tend to listen to just hundreds. I guess I like the feeling of having variety, even if I don't utilize it.

-Last but not least, I always feel like I am that forgotten one most of the time, whether in forums or irl. I can hang out with just about any friend or group, be right next to the person, and they turn around trying to look for me. Seriously. Is my presence that low? In schools, I try participating, but teachers tend to overlook me and pick people nearby, I state my mind or opinion in some matters, next person can say the same thing, and others would respond to the other person, as if he or she were the one who said it first. With forums, it simply occasions where I get into posts I thought had meaning and people would look into or reply upon, good or bad, but get skipped over   
and act if it never were there in the first place. Funny thing too because just days ago, I made a post to another editor on the staff boards. Something lighthearted and fun, and it only got noticed the next day, and seemed to notice the things posted later, far earlier. Heck, feels like the reviews I do for all these years, I did not get fan nor hate mail or even forumed trolled of all things. Granted I don't like it to happen, but sometimes I wonder if anyone even checks my stuff without me pushing them to look? :p

Heck, I wonder if this post will be acknowledged too, but we'll see. :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: