Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 10:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338143 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Water stages in games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Water stages in games  (Read 2698 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:26:27 AM »

I was watching a video of this game called Hydrophobia, a game about using water in the surrounding and all. Looks as if Uncharted meets Bioshock but with a lower budget.

Anyway regardless of the game, it made me think of something I'd like to share: How do you feel about water levels in games ?

I felt like asking this here because when talking to my friends about 90% of them, myself included, hate water levels in almost any game. Like a great game with a horrible slow paced moment. I'll just point some games with water levels and my impressions on the level itself:

Metal Gear Solid 2: confusing with hard to see water
Mario 64: not that bad but by far the worst levels in the game.
Mario Galaxy 2: I was so happy when the water turned into ice so I wouldn't have to swim
Zelda Ocarina of time, Water Temple: One of the most boring moments in my life, with the exception of the boss which is cool.
God of War 1: Total drag on what is most of the time a good game.

I'll stop here as I think my point is made and bear in mind I'm only pointing water levels in good games here, if I were to point bad games I could complain forever.

Side note: interesting how Bioshock, a game that happens in an underwater city doesn't have a water level... My guess ? The developers knew nobody would want it.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »

I hate most water levels except the ones in Donkey Kong Country because you get to ride the cutest swordfish, evar.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »

When I was a kid, I was terrified of them.  Banjo Kazooie didn't help the fear, when a shark would come at you when you went near the stuff.  I hate them - I hate the scary things in them too.  It's like dealing with those nightmares where all you can do is run very, very slowly, while your enemy can swim freely to attack you.  I HATED that creepy fish in the water of Mario 64 and Galaxy 2!!!!!!!  I also hated seeing characters drown - kinda creepy.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »

The water levels in crash bandicoot warped were probably my least favourite in the game.

Then you have the crocodile infested water level in resident evil 5.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »

The water levels in Mega Man 2 suck! Jumping is extra sensitive in water so you have to tap the button extra light so you only hop, but if you press it down all the way you jump super high. They just had to put one-hit kill spikes on the ceilings so you'd die if you made that mistake.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »

Water stages in Starfox 64 were awesome
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »

The water levels in Mega Man 2 suck! Jumping is extra sensitive in water so you have to tap the button extra light so you only hop, but if you press it down all the way you jump super high. They just had to put one-hit kill spikes on the ceilings so you'd die if you made that mistake.

The megaman series in general has some of the best water stages in all of videogame-dom.  They actually tend to do interesting things with the stages, and the mechanics aren't hard to work around.

I mean, you figure out that pressing the button hard kills you, so you don't do it again.  If you die from jumping too high more than once or twice, it's your own fault.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

How could you forget Clanker's Cavern in Banjo-Kazooie? The overall level was fine, but having to swim down through that chain to free Clanker was a nightmare. Especially seeing the controls went all fun and you ran out of breath quickly.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »

I seem to recall sewer stages usually being difficult to navigate.  Xenogears and FFVIII come to mind, but I'm sure there was more.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:21:05 PM »

Like I was saying, I don't know how developers put so much of these boring water stages in games. They are people that like games, I mean they can't be possibly be having fun with a broken water stage.

Another example I remembered is the jet-ski level in Uncharted 1. I sure liked it but I've read that a lot of people hated it, not the level itself but because it was too hard.
Maybe they are trying to put something "different" in the game but can't think of something else then a water level. For example, Dead Space has no gravity moments, which are awesome and really well made. I'd have that 10 times over another water level in a game.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »

Dead Space has no gravity moments, which are awesome and really well made. I'd have that 10 times over another water level in a game.

I hated those... but I'll agree they were well made.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:14:46 AM »

The megaman series in general has some of the best water stages in all of videogame-dom.  They actually tend to do interesting things with the stages, and the mechanics aren't hard to work around.

I mean, you figure out that pressing the button hard kills you, so you don't do it again.  If you die from jumping too high more than once or twice, it's your own fault.
Those stupid bubble platforms pissed me off.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »

Water levels are the WORST. Espicially in games like Tomb Raider and MGS.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »

LttP actually had a fairly decent water level all things considered (and ironically enough was the only dungeon in the game to actually use the Light World/Dark World mechanic in any meaningful way).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »

Water Levels I enjoyed:

Super Mario 64 - The Dire, Dire Docks music is so beautiful and relaxing.  Koji Kondo done a wonderful job at setting the mood here.
Donkey Kong Country - Again, David Wise sets the mood and the level is fun as hell with the swordfish.

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: