Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329335 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Torchlight 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 16175 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »

I liked the first game and read the review of the second, but journalistic fellatio really turns me off to games, as I've played many, many titles people claimed to be masterpieces only to be horribly let down and find really big flaws that the reviewers severely downplayed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:03:10 PM by Der Jermeister » Logged

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »

Better skip it then because I am all up in Torchlight 2's business.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »

Oh, I'll still buy and play it, I just don't like sugar-coated game journalism that in much the same way turns me off to politics.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »

I gave the game lame marks in a couple categories. Just sayin. But whatever, judge for yourself. Like politics.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:03 AM »

level 32 Engineer
level 25 Outlander

Having a bunch of fun with it still.

I hope it doesn't get stale too fast cause.. I'm liking a lot about it. No need to do the list, I'm sure you guys know what it offers that the Auction Role Playing Game doesn't !

So far so good. If you did get bored... at what point did it happen. I'm still pretty early on on the game so it's still pretty fresh ...

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »

I've got one of each class right now with my highest being a 58 Engineer. Still loving it.

I stand by my take on it which is that if you like isometric Action RPGs/loot droppers, you will like Torchlight 2. If you are a dabbler in that sort of game you might not see too much that strikes you as "different" about it, but folks who will pretty much play any game that falls in that category will I think be more likely to see some of the tweaking and improvements that have been done to keep the pace high.

And it isn't perfect. The graphics are fun, but they are not spectacular. And I think the multiplayer match making needs some work. And the best that can be said about the story is it is functional and exists.

But gameplay-wise I really do think this is as good as this type of game has ever been. As with any review, YMMV, but I did try to illustrate these points, often in lengthy fashion.

Plus, $20. I mean at worst you will have missed a night at the movies, and I'm pretty sure you'll get at least a couple hours of entertainment out of it even if you end up hating it.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »

My movie theater only costs a nickel for the talkies. You have misled me, Dave. I demand recompense.

(That said, I did get ten hours of the game, and while I didn't love them, I think it may have been more due to Borderlands 2 existing on my hard drive than by any fault of T2's. :D)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »

My movie theater only costs a nickel for the talkies. You have misled me, Dave. I demand recompense.

Yes, but does that include a cup of coffee and a ride on the trolley?
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »

It does, right alongside Barbara Stanwyck.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »

Bought this on steam and am enjoying it. Playing as a female engineer. I think I am going to have to up the difficultly due to it being somewhat easy. Fun game.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2012, 09:31:25 AM »

Yeah experienced gamers will definitely need to jack the difficulty right away. Normal is very easy!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »

Saw this article about a giant mod for Torchlight 2 today and had to pass it on:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/30/insane-torchlight-ii-mod-adds-new-class-monsters-raids/

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »

Saw this article about a giant mod for Torchlight 2 today and had to pass it on:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/30/insane-torchlight-ii-mod-adds-new-class-monsters-raids/

You sir have performed a service this day. You have also possibly doomed me.

Link to the mod site: http://www.synergiesmod.com/

I am giggling like a 4 year old
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:50:12 PM by dyeager » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »

I'm pretty eager to try out the necro class, because that's always my class of choice.  As is probably obvious from the avatar that I haven't changed in 5.5 years of writing for this site. :D

—Kurt Vonnegut
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:24 AM »

Downloaded it, played it for a while.  It's a mixed bag.  I like the new class - rather than having a few good skills and a bunch of crappy ones, there are a ton that seem good, and it's tough to decide where to put my points.  A few of them actually seem a little too good.  There's a passive skill that at level 1 heals you for 20 points/second for every monster within 10 meters, plus does a few other things.  Since you can only get hit by so many people, this pretty much means you should go get mobbed, and you probably can't die.

There seem to be a lot of monsters, and even from the start, you find elites, which drop great loot and beef up your fame XP, which isn't necessarily a good thing for balance.  They drop a lot more gems than before, which is kind of nice, but they're not any more powerful than before, which is probably also good.

And they've done stuff to the inventories.  They've definitely increased the shared stash immensely, and I'm not sure yet, but I think they've added several pages to what you can carry on your person.

So what I'd say is that it's fun, but you may not love everything about it.  Definitely back up your saves and the original PAK files before playing, as these instructions suggest. 

http://www.t2mods.com/how-to-install-torchlight-2-mod/

Oh, and if you can't find where Steam installed Torchlight 2, it might be at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Torchlight II  (I'm on Windows 7 64 bit).  While I was in there, I noticed that there's a soundtrack folder!  Not the music files the game uses, but a set of mp3s and a pdf CD booklet.  Very cool - kind of bummed I didn't know about this before.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: