Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 02:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331653 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  The Black Mages have Disbanded
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Black Mages have Disbanded  (Read 2572 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 12:52:25 AM »

I really wish they would have gotten around to doing "Atma weapon" or "Dark messenger " before calling it quits x_x
oh well  this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6L_pFupEA and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQeLYhMqeA&p=6C102B6E029AC5EE&playnext=1&index=4 will have to do.  ;_;
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 05:53:38 AM »

Oh well, at least they won't go the way of Metallica.  SHUDDER.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 01:06:26 PM »

This is sad news for me, not to mention that I was waiting for more arrangements of Final Fantasy IX and XI from them. Hunter's Chance, Matoya's Cave and Vamo' allá flamenco are going to be in my music player forever.

Hunter's Chance is one of my very favorite video game tunes. But I'm not sure it worked so well as a rock track. I've always wanted to hear it as a huge orchestral track. The thing is originally an orchestral track with some synth leads. I think it would have been amazing on an orchestral arranged album. Their version of Vamo' alla flamenco is killer though.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »

This is sad news for me, not to mention that I was waiting for more arrangements of Final Fantasy IX and XI from them. Hunter's Chance, Matoya's Cave and Vamo' allá flamenco are going to be in my music player forever.

Hunter's Chance is one of my very favorite video game tunes. But I'm not sure it worked so well as a rock track. I've always wanted to hear it as a huge orchestral track. The thing is originally an orchestral track with some synth leads. I think it would have been amazing on an orchestral arranged album. Their version of Vamo' alla flamenco is killer though.

Yes, it is a killer.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

I always want to know what you guys think about "Darkness and Starlight", you know, the main track from the 3rd album.

Is the most interesting track that they made in my opinion. It could be better in some parts (maybe), but for what it is, is pretty awesome.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »

I think it's terrible. I just can't listen to it. The opera scene from the game is great, the music is fun and wonderful in context, but let's be honest, it's a FUCKING TERRIBLE OPERA! That's the point, it's a big dumb joke an melodramatic opera, and it's wonderful for its cheekiness. I felt like D&S tried to legitimize the music, which really isn't supposed to be legitimate in the first place.

So, as a legitimate piece, it's just not very good. And as a farce, it falls short.

Oh, and the woman who sings Celes' part uses WAY too much vibrato and sounds like she weighs 600lbs, which makes me cringe. Maybe it's her voice that ruins it for me, but I still think it was a bad idea.

Dancing Mad suite is far and away the best of the 3 epics. Sure, the drums suck on section 4 (vucking V-Drums), but the arrangement is excellent.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:42:47 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »

Like I said, I think the first two Black Mages albums are amazing!  The 3rd album is meh to me.  Its not terrible but its very forgetful to me and I LOVE video game music.  I hate to think I'll end up buying it just because they disbanded and I would like to own all of their material.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »

My favorite piece from the 3rd album is easily distance worlds. A really nice arrangement from my favorite song in XI. Most of the other songs did not stick to me much.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »

Distant Worlds is great. Strangely enough, one tune that I really like from that is "Skirmish of the Silver Dragons". The melody section (first minute) BLOWS, but the solo section is absolutely killer, some of the best keyboard works this side of the first album.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 03:05:41 AM »

With all this love for The Black Mages I'm just wondering, someone around here likes The Star Onions? I love his version of Wings of the Goddess.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »

As much of a Final Fantasy fan that I am, I haven't listened to much of The Star Onions.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: