Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340992 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Building a PC through ibuypower?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Building a PC through ibuypower?  (Read 5203 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »

I'm kind of curious if anyone has any experience with ibuypower.com.  I don't have the technical know-how to build a PC on my own, so I've been looking at ibuypower.com for awhile. I did a few quick looks in the past and they seem to be pretty close to newegg price-wise (maybe a bit more expensive here and there since they're installing it) and I like the idea that you can be pretty specific with what kind of parts you want.

Has anyone heard anything about them?  Do their prices seem reasonable? 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:31:15 PM »

Bought one through them months ago.  Was actually only a few dollars more expensive than building it myself.  Just make sure you do price comparisons to ensure you aren't being ripped off.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:37:05 PM »

I built my first PC two years ago, and it was surprisingly simple. I recommend trying to build it yourself if you're on a tight budget. You can buy very carefully and save a good amount. Putting it together isn't hard, it's like easier than putting together a lego kit for children. The only annoying part is installing the Operating System, but trust me you can save a lot of money otherwise.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »

Figuring out what components work with what motherboard is what I have no clue on.  I don't know where things go either but I imagine there are websites/books/something that could help.  Depending on how much more Ibuypower is, I may just end up having someone do it for me (though people at Cnet really hate Ibuypower so I dunno).

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »

Well, you can tell just by looking at the specs what it uses.

Random Motherboard Example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130264

Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type   LGA 1156
CPU Type   Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1156)

LGA 1156! That plays friendly with Quad Core processors!

Like this would fit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

See how it lists LGA 1156 in the title? Hardware is really labeled clearly when buying them these days.

RAM you say?

Memory
Number of Memory Slots   4240pin
Memory Standard   DDR3 1066/1333/1600 (OC)/2000 (OC)/2133 (OC)

DDR3 is practically the standard these days, and those are the speeds it supports. Here are some examples of RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=17&name=Memory

Most of those are DDR3 240-pin sticks.

If you're buying modern PC parts MOST of the stuff is compatible, the only thing you have to look out for is what kind of processor the motherboard supports, making sure your PSU is powerful enough for your Computer, making sure the RAM is the right type, etc.

A PC's actual building order is usually quite simple:

Attach Motherboard and screw it in to the Case
Insert PSU into Case
Put in DVD Drive/Media Reader/etc
Attach the Processor to the Motherboard
Plug in the RAM and any other PCI-E devices. This can be anything really. The PCI-E Slots are usually the things that make plugs stick out the back of your tower. Video Cards are mostly PCI-Express 2.0, but they're all compatible these days really.
Plug the PSU cords into the motherboard, video card, and other devices that need power.
Seal it all up, turn it on, install an operating system

It's really simple. Just make sure everything is compatible before you buy stuff, and try to avoid static when building a PC. I recommend doing it on a table or something. I built my first one naked on the wooden floor because I was so paranoid of static, haha.

If you need help feel free to ask.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »

I deleted my topic, because we are basically asking the same thing lol.
So yeah, thoughts on IBUYPOWER?
I'm just wondering on the quality on their actual products.
I'll obviously look into building my own also, but it would be nice to save myself some hassle considering I've never even looked inside a computer and I can't always rely on my friend to maybe build one for me.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »

Well, if you look on Cnet.. people posting there seem to hate them.  A lot of people are claiming that they received their product and it was very half-assed put together (things weren't fastened down right, some things not installed correctly, etc).  Some are saying it takes them forever to ship something and if it's not right, you're fucked because by the time things are shipped out, fixed, and sent back you've wasted a minimum of two months waiting for it.  Many posters also have no prior posting history so I wonder if it's not their competition posting negative things about them (and some of the postings date pretty far back so things could have changed.).

Basically like everything else; if you order it and it works then awesome.  If it doesn't work and you need some kind of assistance from them, you're fucked.

The Better Business Bureau gave them a B and CyberPowerPC B+, but the user ratings I got from the BBB website, http://www.trustlink.org/BusinessProfile.aspx?ID=205963462, paint them in a largely negative manner. 

Being the paranoid mother fucker that I am, I probably won't buy from them anymore.  I'll probably end up looking to build it myself but again, I'm paranoid I'll fuck it up so I'm not sure what I'll do now.

edit:  Oddly enough, the CyberPowerPC got really good ratings on the same trustlink website.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:18:06 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »

Yeah I came across the same kind of ratings and feedback. Well, I know some places that can actually put together a PC if you bring them the parts. I might just go that route, because even if its as easy as people say, I don't want to spend over 1grand on something and mess it up because of my lack of knowledge. I'll probably take it to my nearest Microcenter or Safenet, I'm not sure if you have either of those by where you live but give it a shot. Man PC's are lame lol.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »

I've bought both of my last two computers from cyberpower and ibuypower, respectively.  I bought the first one from cyberpower back in the day for FF11*.  It was top of the line, just about everything.  Cost me about 2k.  It arrived fine, worked fine, played FFXI fine.  For about 2 days, then the power supply died.  It was right in the middle of Christmas time so as expected customer service was shitty.  Eventually they sent me a new PSU later on and attempted to explain to me over the phone how to install it.  Eventually I figured it out myself, but I never did get all my cd drives to work.  At the time I probably should've just sent the entire thing back and had them fix it, but I was a young and dumb kid.  Overall the computer itself would probably get a B.  It lasted forever, but eventually something went crazy on it and it wouldn't start up anymore.  I still haven't fixed that issue and probably won't.

About a year ago I got my current computer with a tax refund.  I spent $1200 from ibuypower, it's a quad-core, 6 gigs of ram, yadda yadda.  I've had absolutely no issues with it, it's the best computer I've ever had.  It's got the new water cooling that ibuypower (along with everybody else) seems to be putting into all their builds.  Not only is it the coolest computer (temperaturewise) I've owned, it's also the quietest.

As for these websites and how they are judged, I'd say it's pretty hit or miss for everybody.  It seems to be a pretty common occurance, no matter where you buy a computer from online, that there's a chance it will be dead on arrival via either a bad power supply, faulty wiring or half ass assembly.  Your mileage may vary.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »

$1200 is pretty brutal though. You can pretty much design a budget top of the line PC for at least under $900 these days, also depends on how much you spend on peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, etc. Then again monitors are getting dirt cheap, I saw a 25 inch LCD for like $160 on Tigerdirect.

Hell I'll pick out a bunch of parts later on on Newegg and we can compare how much an ibuypower PC would cost with the same specifications
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »

Yeah, well take into account it was a year and a half ago and that price includes shipping.  I'm not trying to debate if building your own computer is cheaper then having a pre-built one assembled for you, that's just fact.  I was just giving my direct experience with IBuyPower and CyberPower.

Obviously if you want any individual component at the cheapest price go to newegg or tigerdirect.  Seems like the topic creator is in about the same boat as most people - knowledgeable about PC's and PC components, but not confident enough to buy it all seperately and assemble it himself.  In which case, having somebody else do it for you is probably the next best and most affordable step.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »

I saw a 25 inch LCD for like $160 on Tigerdirect.

yeah man build a computer to play pc games with top of the line graphics and display them on a piece of shit monitor good idea
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938551&sku=H94-2502&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2004-_-CatId_12_H94-2502

Was $180, still not a bad price for that size. 1920x1080 isn't too bad either, would be a good monitor to hook consoles up to as well since the aspect ratio is 16:9.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »

yeah its not a bad price for that size if you dont mind inaccurate colors and shitty viewing angles

you get what you pay for
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »

btw it doesnt even have a dvi input

lol
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: