Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319227 Posts in 13034 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Building a PC through ibuypower?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Building a PC through ibuypower?  (Read 4487 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 07:32:20 PM »

Good looking screen is vitally important to me, which is why I'd be willing to dish out major bucks for a good one.  The one I looked at was a 23" Samsung which got great reviews on Amazon/Newegg. 300 bucks well spent (especially since it has hdmi).

Thanks for the stories Masamune.  I think I'm just over thinking things.  I'm still considering building my own like Thoren (and many others) have suggested.  I have a business acquaintance that might consider helping me, but I'd have to ask him.  Having someone put the stuff together for me is a worthwhile service.  I'll have to price some items and see how much it would cost to buy everything separate versus having ibuypower/cyberpowerpc build it for me like parn suggested.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »

Price doesnt always mean it's better. 300 for me is a bit steep. I think decent 21.5 inch or 22 inch monitors range sub 200 on average these days.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:26:11 PM by Thoren » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

Unless you're buying a PVA or IPS panel, your monitor isn't decent.  If you're paying under $200, you're definitely getting a TN panel which range from shit picture quality to barely adequate.

All quality LCD and LED HDTVs use PVA and IPS technologies for a reason.  TN is shit.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »

Unless you're buying a PVA or IPS panel, your monitor isn't decent.  If you're paying under $200, you're definitely getting a TN panel which range from shit picture quality to barely adequate.

All quality LCD and LED HDTVs use PVA and IPS technologies for a reason.  TN is shit.

hm.  Didn't notice it was a TN.  I'm out of ideas since I was sold on that one.  Suggestions?  Response time doesn't mean a TON to me because probably the only two games that will be played are TF2 and FF14.  Good color and good viewing angles are a plus (this ones angles aren't bad according to newegg though). 300 is probably tops I'd pay.

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »

Well, this makes me something of an opportunist, but even though I sold my PC a few weeks ago, I have not sold my monitor.  For the record, it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LARVYK

If you're interested, let me know.  I'm selling it for 2/3 the price on Amazon.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just realized how much of a Mac fag I am and bought a fancy 27" iMac recently which has an IPS display in the first place.  So yeah, no need for said monitor.

The response time isn't so hot at 14ms and that means you'll likely see ghosting in fast-paced FPS's, but for everything else?  You're going to get accurate color reproduction and quality viewing.  Read the reviews on Amazon and let me know what you think.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »

TN Monitors are fine. You also get much more bang for your buck. They're more reliable to avoid ghosting and the response time is great. If you're on a budget its not worth blowing an extra $200 for worst response time and near unnoticeable improvements in color. The big differences only come in the really expensive and up scale monitors.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »

1. More bang for the buck, spoken like a true cheapass.  Do you drive a Kia?

2. "They're more reliable to avoid ghosting" doesn't make any sense, but if you're trying to say what I think you wanted to say, response time determines if ghosting happens or not, so trying to make them out to be two separate items is a no-go, sorry.  It can be a deal-breaker for people who play FPS's which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

3. I like how you contradict yourself at the end.  You say that the improvements in color are nearly unnoticeable (yeah you're a real stickler for visual quality, your blurry avatar makes great use of the PNG format) in one sentence, then in the next say that the big differences only come in the really expensive upscale monitors.  What the fuck do you think that IPS panel is?

4. By the way, I like how you neglected the viewing angle part.  Your picture quality and colors get even shittier the moment you shift yourself to any point other than directly in front of the monitor.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:45:53 PM by Parn » Logged
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »

Thanks Masamune for the personal experience with Ibuypower and cyberpc. I guess the risk when buying something online, especially a computer, is always there. I've decided that I'll buy my computer from IBUYPOWER, but I'll wait until end of September or mid October to see if any prices drop on parts. Plus, I'm going to wait and see if any of these upcoming RPGs are any good on the PC. The ones I'm interested in are coming out around Sept-Oct anyway, so that will help me with my decision.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be sure to give you my experience when/if I do buy my PC sometime in the next two months.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »

Well, this makes me something of an opportunist, but even though I sold my PC a few weeks ago, I have not sold my monitor.  For the record, it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LARVYK

If you're interested, let me know.  I'm selling it for 2/3 the price on Amazon.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just realized how much of a Mac fag I am and bought a fancy 27" iMac recently which has an IPS display in the first place.  So yeah, no need for said monitor.

The response time isn't so hot at 14ms and that means you'll likely see ghosting in fast-paced FPS's, but for everything else?  You're going to get accurate color reproduction and quality viewing.  Read the reviews on Amazon and let me know what you think.

Seeing how it's matte, how do you feel about Matte vs Glossy?  I was never a fan of matte HDTVs but I dont think i've seen a matte computer screen before (I realize computer screens aren't really different than a HDTV)

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »

If you aren't a fan of matte on an HDTV, then you aren't going to be for a computer monitor either.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: