Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 06:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Bioshock Infinite
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Bioshock Infinite  (Read 5097 times)
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »

I thought they were doing something else too, especially with how they hinted it last week.

But hey, this might not be so similar to Bioshock, not unlike Bioshock itself wasn't so similar to System Shock.

But the title has bioshock in it...
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »

Yes, but it's not Bioshock 3.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »

I'm always game when a sequel really takes a huge turn. It's so common for sequels just to be remakes, or new level sets of the original, that it's refreshing to see a sequel go in a completely new direction. I'd say this qualifies, especially since everyone's central expectations of the series revolve around "Under the Ocean," "Rapture," and "Big Daddies", three things this new game will not have.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »

I'm always game when a sequel really takes a huge turn. It's so common for sequels just to be remakes, or new level sets of the original, that it's refreshing to see a sequel go in a completely new direction. I'd say this qualifies, especially since everyone's central expectations of the series revolve around "Under the Ocean," "Rapture," and "Big Daddies", three things this new game will not have.

And thank god they didn't make "BioShock 3". Because the main problem of BioShock 2 was basically being an expansion with multiplayer and a crapload of DLC to buy.

That was not bad at all, but the first game is still way better. Not to mention that as a "sequel" BioShock 2 feels pretty out of place to be honest.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »

When a title makes it's mark on being very "distinct" in some way, it's pretty much impossible to make a straight-ahead sequel. The only way you're going to achieve the same level of "awe", is by going back and making something else that's very distinct. BioShock sold us on it's uniqueness. Having a sequel that did more of the same is just bad because it fails to do the one thing that really hooked us. A lot of developers, musicians, and film makers could learn that lesson well.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 02:45:03 AM »

I wanted to scoff at this, but I guess being in the sky will allow for zero-G effects and stuff.

My initial reaction was "great, the threat of the sky is to fall, which means platforming" but I can now imagine a hallway splitting open and assholes falling to their doom while the contents of the room float about perilously.

Honestly, if they just went back to space like with System Shock, they would be able to do most of this, in addition to everything BioShock threw at us.  I guess it's about setting, and I'll admit that it is a cool one (reminds me of Metroid Prime 3) but it's still Rapture in the sky with some stupid ass 50's theme.

edit: thank you for pointing out my ignorance, Eusis, but I still don't care for the old timey presentation.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:45:49 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 02:59:58 AM »

I guess it's about setting, and I'll admit that it is a cool one (reminds me of Metroid Prime 3) but it's still Rapture in the sky with some stupid ass 50's theme.

... Rapture was the one closer to having the 50s theme, and even then that's a bit off. BioShock Infinite takes place in 1912, so it's going to be closer to the Gay Nineties if anything.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:07:55 AM by Eusis » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU0oQl54vE

Holy shit. This completely blew my mind. How can you put so much awesome into less than 10 minutes of gameplay?!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Well, I'm sold. It was so guided that I do wonder how it will actually play when I'm the one controlling the action, but they threw so much cool stuff out there in such a short period of time that it gave me chills.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

Oh. My. God. I am just floored. That is.. holy fuck. Fuck.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »

Amazing, That's all I can say right now. Too bad there's a long wait for this one.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 03:23:24 AM »

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Well, I'm sold. It was so guided that I do wonder how it will actually play when I'm the one controlling the action, but they threw so much cool stuff out there in such a short period of time that it gave me chills.

Dude, that was no different from the opening bathesphere ride from Bioshock 1. It'll probably be part of the opening sequence of the game. If everyone had been skeptical about the gameplay of BS1 from the bathesphere ride scene, we would have had a lot more skeptics than we did.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »

Dude, that was no different from the opening bathesphere ride from Bioshock 1.

. . . You didn't fight enemies in the bathysphere. It's the confrontations and dialogue exchanges that make it unlikely to be actual gameplay but closer to a gameplay target video. Which still looks pretty good, but completely believing that to be the real thing is naive.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »

Dude, that was no different from the opening bathesphere ride from Bioshock 1.

. . . You didn't fight enemies in the bathysphere. It's the confrontations and dialogue exchanges that make it unlikely to be actual gameplay but closer to a gameplay target video. Which still looks pretty good, but completely believing that to be the real thing is naive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9xC6TMdiw
Remember how everyone got over this footage too?
I'm with Eusis on this one, the gameplay looks good. But, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a gameplay video that won't even be in the actual game. If it is, I'm sure its going to be on rails.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »

That Killzone 2 trailer was pure CGI
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: