Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 09:29:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335172 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  NIS Taint Doing So Well
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: NIS Taint Doing So Well  (Read 5654 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 04:19:41 AM »

All of NIS's SRPGs follow the same Disgaea model with different skins, same with Idea Factory and their Spectral Force model.

Eh...maybe I'm just missing something, but what non-Disgaea SRPGs has NIS even made?  Well, there's La Pucelle but that actually predates Disgaea.

Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

. . .none of which are like Disgaea.  Funny, that. In my own experience, NIS is actually more likely to try something new than many of the other SRPG companies.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 04:26:13 AM »

They've really lost their marbles now.  Criminal Girls?  Seriously?  Hoo boy...  And watch this, if this actually comes to US shores and it comes time to decide amongst the staff the lucky reviewer who gets this gem, everyone's going to say "NOT IT!" and I'll end up having to take this one for the team.  And to think, not too long ago they apologized for Last Rebellion and some of the subpar games they published.  Oh well...

Neal! I would TOTALLY put my hand up for reviewing.

Cosign

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 05:40:04 AM »

While it is awfully bold of me but. I will always continue to support NIS, no matter how badly they do. Because NIS are the ones who brought us a little series called Marl Kingdom. Marl Kingdom series has had games spawn on the PSOne, PS2 and the NDS and most recently on the PSP, Antiphona no Seikahime which has remained unlocalized. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368474).

Playing the game is like watching a musical. The characters burst into song mid-scene (with fully recorded songs to boot). The pixel art is just gorgeous.

This is one of the first songs in the game. Just adorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhEfAlZEquA
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »

All of NIS's SRPGs follow the same Disgaea model with different skins, same with Idea Factory and their Spectral Force model.

I fail to see how Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad and Zettai Hero are just re-skinned versions of Disgaea. That`s like saying Dragon Force and Tactics Ogre are the same thing.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »

Despite Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave running off of the "gridless" system, you have to admit they're eerily similar in every other possible way to the Disgaea games.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »

Despite Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave running off of the "gridless" system, you have to admit they're eerily similar in every other possible way to the Disgaea games.

I never enjoyed the gridless system much. I applaud them for being original, but it just didn't work for me.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »

Only if you consider SRPGs in general to be similar. In my opinion, there`s still a lot more difference between Disgaea and Makai Kingdom than, say, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »

I'm talking thematically here.  Although the be totally correct it didn't start with Disgaea, as La Pucelle is clearly in the same vein and it came out first in Japan, and I'm positive it goes back farther than that.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

While it is awfully bold of me but. I will always continue to support NIS, no matter how badly they do. Because NIS are the ones who brought us a little series called Marl Kingdom. Marl Kingdom series has had games spawn on the PSOne, PS2 and the NDS and most recently on the PSP, Antiphona no Seikahime which has remained unlocalized. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368474).

Playing the game is like watching a musical. The characters burst into song mid-scene (with fully recorded songs to boot). The pixel art is just gorgeous.

This is one of the first songs in the game. Just adorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhEfAlZEquA

I think you've almost convinced me to import that...

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »

Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

. . .none of which are like Disgaea.  Funny, that. In my own experience, NIS is actually more likely to try something new than many of the other SRPG companies.

uhh no.. makai kingdom and phantom brave are very similar to disgaea

soul nomad is a bit different but it's still a giant graphing calculator grind game with little strategy, just with a couple different gimmicks
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »

uhh no.. makai kingdom and phantom brave are very similar to disgaea
The gameplay method is completely different.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »

I'm sorry to see such a courageous company having so many issues

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:54 AM »

I'm sorry to see such a courageous company having so many issues

Yeah, yeah, credit to their courage. 

But you need GOOD titles to fund games.  Atelier Iris, arguably, one of NISA's first "hits" was a pretty average RPG.  They usually are.  I think Western/European audiences aren't amused by old gimmicks, typical gameplay mechanics, romantic hi-jinx, some young idiot saving the world, boob jokes, only to save their games because the fact that HP goes over 9,999 as a selling point.

There is nothing new to their games, and certainly nothing games or even NISA themselves haven't done before.  Their games have become stale, and it doesn't help that their quality in games has been taking a dip (typo's?  Really??). 
If you want a reason as to why NISA is failing; look at any Trinity Universe gameplay/story clip.
Code:
The final boss is something like a planet with a moustache.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30:17 AM »

Uh...we're talking about NIS, not NISA.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 03:59:27 AM »

But you need GOOD titles to fund games.  Atelier Iris, arguably, one of NISA's first "hits" was a pretty average RPG.  They usually are.  I think Western/European audiences aren't amused by old gimmicks, typical gameplay mechanics, romantic hi-jinx, some young idiot saving the world, boob jokes, only to save their games because the fact that HP goes over 9,999 as a selling point.

I don't mind any of that...

I am irritated with steroid infused shaved apes who have to fight rhino monkeys for control of Earth,space marines fighting aliens to save humanity,or small groups of 4 that disarm nukes,kill a hundred terrorists and save a nation within a week.

Anyway,I'm not picky with JRPGs and respect anyone who creates them.I don't like to see them struggling.Except for the guys who made Unlimited Saga.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: