Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:03:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335253 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What are the best Atlus strategy games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What are the best Atlus strategy games?  (Read 4292 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

mjrpgfan, you're a jerk.

Let me qualify that statement or else I wouldn't be any better.  I have been reading your posts since you started posting here and it seems pretty obvious to me that what you look for in an SRPG and what most people here look for in an SRPG are pretty different things.  But hey, that's fine.  In fact, I think it's a good thing.  I do occasionally enjoy reading your posts because they can offer a lot of insight into things I haven't really given much thought to.  I think you could have a lot to offer this forum.

The problem is that when you disagree with somebody you immediately resort to personal attacks without even considering their point of view.  Your last post in this thread is a perfect example.  You could have simply made your case and been done with it but instead that case is wedged in between completely unnecessary insults.  Do you really think insulting people is going to change their minds?  Furthermore you state your own opinion as fact without even considering that maybe not everyone else is as obsessed with strategic gameplay as you are.  Of course it's going to rub people the wrong way.

It's a shame because, as I said, I do think you have some interesting points to make.  But actually reading your posts can be painful.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:28 PM »

"It's probably the single finest shining example of what an SRPG could ever possibly hope to be."  Is clearly an example of a fanboy unwilling to listen to the slightest criticism.  He made no points to back up his opinion, while I did.  Eric can take a little ribbing.  He's certainly made worse insults against me and my writing on this forum.  So chill out.

I don't just play 'SRPGs', I play all kinds of tactical level games.  And the OP asked for strategy games, not 'RPGs that happen to take place on a grid but are otherwise unremarkable and not much different from a typical RPGs combat system'.  I never stated my opinion as fact, you're misreading what I wrote.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:26:08 PM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »

It is easy and boring, just irritating when you randomly get crit. The content is mostly point A to B zerging with a couple units on smallish maps.  Random uncontrollable criticals that take off 1/2 your morale is lame - it's like a wannabe Fire Emblem that did everything regarding randomness wrong.  The reason Fire Emblems randomness is good is because you can do many things to mitigate it, while in Yggdra Union there is almost nothing you can do.  Easter egg hunting for items is incredibly lame - instead of rewarding the player for tactical ability, you just get randomly given items depending on whether you were lucky enough to step in the right spot.  But I can tell you are a rabid fanboy that won't listen to criticism or reason, so I'm sure what I've just said is lost on you.
You and I must have played completely different games. How is Yggdra Union's gameplay 'zerging' in any way? You need to carefully consider the position of your army in order to get the most attacks in the most effective order as well as making sure the enemies' stronger units don't go after your weaker ones. You also needed to choose the right units for each map.

I have never had a critical that took off half morale, unless my morale was already really low. Besides, with certain items you could mitigate the randomness anyway. I'd like to hear what sort of mitigating factors you can list for FE, interestingly you just say it has them, but never listed them.

If you ever were lacking in items you were doing it wrong. Most items are pretty easy to find. Sure, there are some that are really weird and random, but every game has something like that.

The Tactics Ogre games are decent SRPGs, but I don't recommend them for their strategic content. It's slow as molasses and the combat is generic and simple. I think most of the player interest in Tactics Ogre is down to nostalgia and the art style, developers, musicians, artists, plot, characters etc. I can see the appeal of those elements, but when it comes to the tactical combat, it's not particularly notable. Part of the misconception about Tactics Ogre being this amazing genre defining innovative game is due to the fact that a large majority of similar SRPGs being released around the same time as the NA Playstation version never made it to NA.  The interest in Tactics Ogre is mostly nostalgia and non-gameplay related, not worth playing by anyone interested in strategy beyond the tic tac toe level.
The fact that you can't even say WHY Tactics Ogre isn't a good SRPG is pretty telling, really. The only thing you're saying is that it's 'slow,' but that's pretty much a given for most SRPGs. Chess is a slow game too (unless your playing speed Chess), but it has more depth than any video game I've played.

And the OP asked for strategy games, not 'RPGs that happen to take place on a grid but are otherwise unremarkable and not much different from a typical RPGs combat system'.
You do know that this statement makes you about the same level as a fanboy, except you're going in the other extreme.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:34:26 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 06:45:44 PM »

I am hearing a lot of praise for Eternal Poison lately.  This interests me, because I always see the game on the shelf and think "this looks really cool, but I heard it's bad". 

Where would I have heard that the game is bad?  It looks like a game I would want to enjoy.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »

I'm sorry you don't like the mini-games, even though they are easy to win once you learn them (sorry, you just suck as usual). It's actually got some solid, challenging strategic content in the later simulation maps. Although some of that can be avoided by grinding for better cards/gear, but whatever. I still recommend it because it's one of the few challenging DS tactics games.

While there is the problem with the minigames being mindless and with the boss versions being needlessly taxing, it's the fact that you have to do them CONSTANTLY that's the most irritating.  In some of the later maps you literally have to stop every couple seconds to mash out some minigame or other, and it's more than a little bothersome.  It's just poor game design, when I play an SRPG I want to think and to make moves based on skill and thought, not mash buttons or tap my stylus furiously every couple seconds.

Leiviur already said pretty much everything I had to say about Yggdra Union.  Although I do fail to see how the fact that I found Yggdra Union to be the single best SRPG I've ever played to be a base for being called a "fanboy".  Super Mario World is my favorite platformer of all time because it's the one I had the most fun with, Yggdra Union is my favorite SRPG for the same reason.  I literally cannot conceive of a better SRPG.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »

I am hearing a lot of praise for Eternal Poison lately.  This interests me, because I always see the game on the shelf and think "this looks really cool, but I heard it's bad". 

Where would I have heard that the game is bad?  It looks like a game I would want to enjoy.

You might.

It's a fairly solid SRPG with a few issues revolving around the primary gimmick of the game. The primary gimmick involves overkilling pretty much everyone and everything in sight. The game of course knows this and makes it as difficult as it can for you through methods such as requiring you to sperg over a shitload of numbers then combining them with an enemy's numbers through a bit of algebra and alchemy, putting in arcane requirements to confront bosses, most of which get impatient and run off if you don't secure them fast enough, also they come with barriers that block everything save for their one weakness which can get as particulate as requiring an attack from another hidden boss from a path that you may not have taken, and also having to watch out for some assholes that will either attack or release an overkilled enemy before you can claim them.

The game basically wants you to get through on your NG+ run since its not that long of a game otherwise.

On the plus side, it features multiple stories, featuring multiple parties (through the mercs are the same), running through multiple branching paths, with some excellent art for a Flight Plan game (by far), decent VAing, and the plots themselves are kinda Persona 3/4ish.

Just for the love of god, turn off battle animations. Their loading times are hideous.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »

Technically, Atlus didnt make the Tactics Ogre games, Quest did.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »

Well, that's why I said published as well.

I checked Yggdra Union prices for GBA on Ebay, and they're actually not that bad.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a prick,lol :)

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 12:05:47 AM »

Well, that's why I said published as well.

I checked Yggdra Union prices for GBA on Ebay, and they're actually not that bad.
If you have a PSP, get that version instead. It has marked improvements over the GBA version.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

How did I completely miss this one? Knights In The Nightmare. IMO one of the best DS games, and a SRPG. It's not a traditional SRPG. It combines bullet-hell elements with grid based battle. Very original and great game. It's completely stylus-based, though. I know some people don't like that.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »

Interesting to see how the PSP port of Knights in the Nightmare fares...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »

I was just about to say - I might actually wait and see what the reviews for the PSP version of that are like.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »

Im sure the graphics got a bit better.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »

Rondo of swords is ass. if it was a gamplay mechanic for mounted units in fire emblem it woulda been cool but otherwise it sucked. though some people might like the fact you can unlock izuna but i dont know if its "The" izuna.

i'm not sure i'd classify Yggdra Union as a srpg i think its closer to an rts game or advance wars.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: