Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 02:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335185 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc)  (Read 6823 times)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:55:16 PM »

According to The-Magicbox,

Level 5 announced an original simulation RPG for PSP named Jeanne d'Arc [Joan of Arc], the game will have well-known characters such as Joan of Arc, Roget and LeAnn. The game is currently 70% completed, and Sony will publish the game in Japan in Winter 2006.

That's always encouraging news to hear. I'm thankful Level 5 is around. Interesting choice for the theme, but it's been a trend lately, to have well-known, historical figures in RPGs.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:57:34 PM »

See, I knew that wasn't vaporware!

'Simulation' RPG though? For some stupid reason, that's usually applied to Strategy RPGs. I'll need to hear more, espicially from other sources.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:58:13 PM »

Our front page is your best friend :P.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1359.html
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:09:57 PM »

Damn, that was fairly close. Anyways... meh. I'll wait and see. If I was a bigger fan of strat RPGs, this would have shot up high on my 'to buy' list. As is, it's just moderately interesting. It IS one of the only new SRPGs I can think of to be released as of late that's from a firmly established developer who /hasn't/ made strategy RPGs before.

By the way, can /anyone/ explain where the Simulation in the Simulation RPG label comes from? To me, that'd mean Harvest Moon, an djust siulation would be any of the Sims games, or the Civ series... Not Shining Force or Final Fantasy Tactics.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:12:35 PM »

They should have just made it for the DS instead.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »

Whoo, now I finally get to kill the English!

*Stares at Deg and Gately and Myau.*

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »

I love Level 5...but in terms of portable, the DS still seems the better way to go.  We'll see how this goes, but.... =/

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »

It's nice to see that PlayStation Portable finally gets a high-profile original RPG. Since I'm not the biggest strategy RPG nut, I have no idea whether I will pick up the game, though.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 05:04:31 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Our front page is your best friend :P.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1359.html

Ah, sorry about that. I didn't see it. I'm up to speed on RPGFan's news section, though. Usually. :P

Strategy RPG, huh. Well, I was hoping it wouldn't be that, but I had a feeling it would. I'm with Professor Gast--I'm not a fan of strategy RPGs, but considering the theme, I think I'll give it a try. I haven't ever heard of an RPG based on Joan of Arc.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »

Don't worry about it.

One positive aspect of this game is that it will most likely be released outside Japan as well. Seeing that solid RPGs like Monster Kingdom and Innocent Life still remain Japan exclusive, it would definitely be great news for American PlayStation Portable owners, if a high profile original RPG for the system finally gets released in the US.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 06:35:40 PM »

Something tells me this will actually have little to do with Joan of Arc besides using her name and others names from that period. Likely, it will be anime style and not delve into any of the religous plot of the actual story.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:17:30 PM »

Not that any of that matters. I for one do not want to be re-bored with yet another retelling of Joan of Arc. No offence, I understand the religious and political importance of the story, but I'd rather play a new interpretation at this point.

At any rate, I may keep an eye on this one since I generally do enjoy SRPGs.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 07:25:11 PM »

Another retelling? Please tell me which games have told the story of Joan of Arc? If you take out the religous and political part of Joan of Arcs story you're basically not telling her story anymore, you're just using her name.

I'd like to see any rpg that tells the story of an historical event accurately. Playing in a realistic historical setting is something I've always wished to see in a game(besides 20th century wars)).
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
I love Level 5...but in terms of portable, the DS still seems the better way to go.  We'll see how this goes, but.... =/
I disagree, because I feel the PSP is great for portability too.  But since this is a Level 5 game, it shouldn't be a surprise their game is ending up on a Playstation platform.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 09:20:10 PM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
Another retelling? Please tell me which games have told the story of Joan of Arc? If you take out the religous and political part of Joan of Arcs story you're basically not telling her story anymore, you're just using her name.

I'd like to see any rpg that tells the story of an historical event accurately. Playing in a realistic historical setting is something I've always wished to see in a game(besides 20th century wars)).

Not meaning games. Just the countless movies, stories based upon, etc.

As to historical games, sure. That'd be nice. But I'm so sick to death of certain figures, like Joan of Arc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: