Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 02:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330093 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Costume Quest: Downloadable RPG by Tim Shafer (Psychonauts)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Costume Quest: Downloadable RPG by Tim Shafer (Psychonauts)  (Read 1530 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »

http://www.ugo.com/games/costume-quest-double-fine-preview

Costume Quest feels quirky from the start. The campaign begins when the hero and little sister embark on a night of Trick'r'Treating. Lil' sis, dressed as a candy cane, comes across a monster with a sweet tooth, and things go south from there. The hero battles monsters (that appear to be summoned by his imagination) in a quest to save his sister -- and be home before curfew.

Turn based Trick or Treating RPG with Psychonauts/Brutal Legend humor and a costume battle system? Sign me up :D
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »

Too bad Brutal Legend sold so poorly.  It was actually a really fun game (and I say that without even being a big metal fan).

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »

I liked it too, and I'm terrible at RTSs.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

I downloaded this game back when it came out but due to some health problems I never got around to playing more than an hour into it. Earlier in the week I started it again and frigging LOVED it. The halloween setting in a modern town was absolutely charming, the candy coated graphics (no pun intended) were beautiful and the battle mechanics with timed button presses reminded me of the Paper Mario games. Also, the layout of the game had me thinking of Earthbound for some reason. Anyway, all was going well until about 3/4 the way though the game where I'm given a french fry costume to lure customers back to a french fry stand for the stand owner. Sounds asinine I know, but it doesn't in context of this game. :P Anyway, you cans ee what people in that area are addicted to fries, so you're supposed to go over to them and press the "B" button which fries the fries and creates an aroma so they will follow you. I couldn't get the thing to work... tried everything from standing in different places around them to talking to them in different orders. I finally went online and found out that the patch they released last Fall creates a game-breaking glitch if you stated a new game before the patch and don't get past the french fry part before the patch was downloaded. So, the only way I can play all the way through is start over. Really sucks because it is an awesome game. WIsh I would have known that before and just started form the beginning since I was only an hour in when I picked it back up. More trouble with downloadable games!
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »

Oops... I thoguht as I was typing this I wrote this here before. I posted this on a few different gaming boards so people didn't make the mistake I did, so didn't really remember posting it in the other Costume Quest thread here. Oh well, at least I went into more detail here. :P
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »

Can't believe they didn't fix that. Anyway, I'm considering getting this.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
HMI

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »

I bought the game on PSN and I loved it.

I like the humour. The kids are funny and sarcastic. Although the battle system is simple, itīs enjoyable. However, there's one thing that bothers me. The dialogues are too much fast.

Nonetheless, Costume Quest is a must buy for RPG fans. I think this game is also a good choice for people tha never played a RPG before.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »

12.99 with dlc included. How many hours does the whole thing last (including dlc)?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
HMI

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »

Well, I didn't play the DLC. But I finished the main game in 7 hours, or less. I don't remember exactly.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »

I just remembered that I have a demo of this sitting on my PS3 that I haven't played yet.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »

On Steam and on sale.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »

Bought the bundle yesterday. Beat the main game in two nights. Ill start on the expansion tomorrow. Its actually quite fun, though I think its a little too short for its price. The DLC might balance it out though. Overall, its a fun little romp with a ton of charm. Great for people with "gamers OCD" that don't have much time to play.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:33:46 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »

I like what I'm reading in this thread, it seems like a nice break after playing so much Demon's and Dark Souls. I should check this one soon.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:18:17 AM »

Played it on PS3 and loved it, highly recomended.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »

@HMI I also thought the dialogues were too fast but others were too slow. I would have been nice if we could just hit X to make the dialogue go forward.

I got this one free with Playstation Plus, as my first game, and I liked it a lot more than I thought it would. I think 6 to 7 hours it about what it last if you don't rush or don't try to get everything.
I'd really like a sequel for it, maybe next halloween.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: