Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 05:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331567 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Best current generation sountracks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Best current generation sountracks  (Read 2628 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »

All the raving I've been hearing about Niers music inspired this post. I have yet to play the game, but the music is the #1 reason why I want to.
This music in this game is a big deal because of how rare great soundtracks are nowadays. So many developers are going with more dynamic type soundtracks. Personally, I miss having a single track playing over a level or an area. There's way too much silence in games now. I get what they are trying to do, but it seems to have resulted in a lack of great soundtracks.
So...
I made this thread so we can talk about the games that actually DO have great music. Perhaps I'm missing a whole bunch of great soundtracks, and just didn't know it.
A few I've enjoyed:
Mass Effect 1/2 - There's some really great 80's sci-fi-like music in these.
Uncharted - I really liked the main theme.
Braid - Wonderful (licensed)music here.

I can't remember the last time I was genuinely blown away by a game with great music. I want to have those tunes in my head all day long. This just doesn't happen anymore. Last time it did was maybe Okami or Lament of Innocence. It's been too long.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »

My favorites of the current gen are:
Nier
FFXIII
GoW3

Nier is head and shoulders above everything else though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »

Etrian freaking Odyssey by a freaking landslide.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »

Off the top of my head,

RPGs:
Nier
FF13
3D Dot Game Heroes
Xenoblade
Etrian Odyssey (any of them)
The Dark Spire (for the same reason as Etrian Odyssey)
RIZ-ZOAWD (my favorite Sakimoto joint in awhile)
Lost Odyssey

non-RPG:
Scott Pilgrim vs The World (no, seriously -- this just came out and it's all Anamanaguchi chiptunes ... super hot)
Shatter
Assassin's Creed II
God of War (among the three, I'd pick II as having the highest quality soundtrack)
Alan Wake (licensed and unlicensed stuff, both are cool)

I also have high hopes for Last Story's soundtrack, though we're still not confirmed on composer.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:55:59 AM »

I was hoping you would respond, Pat.
You have to admit that music in games isn't like it used to be. Stuff like God of war III is decent, but not really listenable outside of the game.
I see you listed several DS games. I just can't get myself to use the thing. I've looked at the Etrian games before , but have yet to buy one, because I know I would abandon it for the next flashy console game.
I've got both FFXIII and Lost Odyssey but have only played the first hour of each.
Anyone know how the music is in the new Ys games coming out? I still listen to my Ys I & II soundtrack on a routine basis. Slaughters most anything that's ever come afterwords.
It seems to me that while there's been so many improvements in gaming, music has gone downhill. Sad.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:36:12 PM »

FF13- That game has killer music.  I also happen to really like the game as a whole.  So far, best soundtrack I've heard this year.  Even people who hated the game have to agree it has some great music.  At least concede that the battle theme rocks. 

A lot of great music I've heard this year came from indie RPGs.  I liked how Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals had multiple battle themes and really catchy stuff (I love the music in John Wizard's games.)  Millennium and Dreamscape (by Aldorlea games) have cool and often unique soundtracks.  Deadly Sin: Shining Faith and Whisper of a Rose: Gold both had great music in the more traditional vein.  And I have a soft spot for Aaron Walz's music in the Aveyond games. 

I only heard some of it on YouTube, but BlazBlue's music rocks. 

The music, in general, for Last Rebellion was meh, but the penultimate boss song (a vocal song) has been getting a lot of play on my iPod.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:48 PM »

By far, Guilty Gear 2: Overture is my favorite of this gen (this one to be exact). You can check the deathsmiles and dodonpachi soundtracks too, about Ys Seven, is one of the best from the series (Ys IV still blows my mind more than anything though).

A hidden gem in video game music is Lord of Vermillion (the first one), really really good music there. Also, keep and eye for the soundtrack of Deus Ex 3.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 12:41:02 AM »

Final Fantasy XIII
Sigma Harmonics
Valkyria Chronicles I and II
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3D Dot Game Heroes
Opoona
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Demon's Souls (When you finally hear any,lol) 

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »

I'll echo Neal. FF13s soundtrack was amazing. I got the OST a week before the game came out, and couldn't stop listening to it. Many times, people buy an OST after playing a game, and like it because they connect the music to the experience of playing the game... which means the music may or may not be as good as they think it is. So it's a real testament to love an OST before playing the game. Actually, I liked the OST so much, that the game kind of let me down. I think they buried the music too much in the mix. The sound effects and voice acting completely overpowered the music. I just remember the first time Snow's theme kicked in, I had to turn my sound system all the way up to hear it. Shame, it's possibly one of the best, if not THE best soundtracks in the series, and many may not even really hear it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:46:19 PM »

I've been sharing your sentiments Grim. I have not really got into a lot of gaming soundtracks nowadays. I'm a melody oriented kind of music fan, and while atmospheric tones are nice and all, and can really impact the game, I just couldn't care less for it when I hear it outside of a game, and it rarely stays with me. Same with a lot of orchestrated music to lesser extent. There are some great ones I enjoy, but I dunno, guess a lot of them feel pretty band, and don't stick with me. I just want to listen to something with a strong, catchy melody. Something that would make me hum it or just sounds good all-together and want to put on repeat. Pretty much like a lot of the older games back when limited technology were forced to make the music created, and do something creative to make it stand out, and make it work with the game. There are some great modern soundtracks tonight, but the overall magic isn't there as much, and it gets a little frustrating to me that a lot of emphasis is just setting the mood of the game rather than make something unique and memorable to make the long last both in and out of the game, but that's just the way things are. :/

These days, I just tend to look forward to gaming music from certain composers. Meguro and anything the Falcom Sound Team (JDK Band). They consistently impress me, even with Meguro's Strange Journey album, which did engage me after warming up to it, but yeah, I just listen to Ys albums on repeat lots of times, and wish a lot more composers do what they to. Create awesome music with awesome melodies that has that bit of old school magic, but in a modern style. Speaking of Ys albums, I wonder if you've listened to the Chronicles version of I and II Grim? Those are fantastic arrangements of those old tunes, and am completely impressed how songs got new life to them.

Anyhow, I am currently listening to Nier's soundtrack, and am totally impressed by this too. Loving what I hear so far.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »

Nier
Final Fantasy XIII
Godeater
Bayonetta
ROF (just Kohei Tanaka's stuff)
Valkyria Chronicles
Xenoblade
Aion
Guilty Gear overture
Blaz Blue
Ninety-Nine-Nights
Star Ocean 4
Dragon Age
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:58:26 AM by Chronix112 » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »

I've been sharing your sentiments Grim. I have not really got into a lot of gaming soundtracks nowadays. I'm a melody oriented kind of music fan, and while atmospheric tones are nice and all, and can really impact the game, I just couldn't care less for it when I hear it outside of a game, and it rarely stays with me. Same with a lot of orchestrated music to lesser extent. There are some great ones I enjoy, but I dunno, guess a lot of them feel pretty band, and don't stick with me. I just want to listen to something with a strong, catchy melody. Something that would make me hum it or just sounds good all-together and want to put on repeat. Pretty much like a lot of the older games back when limited technology were forced to make the music created, and do something creative to make it stand out, and make it work with the game. There are some great modern soundtracks tonight, but the overall magic isn't there as much, and it gets a little frustrating to me that a lot of emphasis is just setting the mood of the game rather than make something unique and memorable to make the long last both in and out of the game, but that's just the way things are. :/

These days, I just tend to look forward to gaming music from certain composers. Meguro and anything the Falcom Sound Team (JDK Band). They consistently impress me, even with Meguro's Strange Journey album, which did engage me after warming up to it, but yeah, I just listen to Ys albums on repeat lots of times, and wish a lot more composers do what they to. Create awesome music with awesome melodies that has that bit of old school magic, but in a modern style. Speaking of Ys albums, I wonder if you've listened to the Chronicles version of I and II Grim? Those are fantastic arrangements of those old tunes, and am completely impressed how songs got new life to them.

Anyhow, I am currently listening to Nier's soundtrack, and am totally impressed by this too. Loving what I hear so far.
Exactly! Modern games seem far more concerned with creating a mood than with actually having good music to listen to.
I think it's damn pathetic that the best music in games came so long ago. TG-cd games like the Ys games, Dungeon Explorer 2, the Thunder shooters. These games had freaking AMAZING music that blows away anything released nowadays.
examples(I know I shouldn't have to say this around here, but listen to the whole thing, not just 10 seconds):
Dungeon Explorer II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjAW2IeAUU
Ys I & II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZjj_8mmhM4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcaHjkHmvAg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkwXG9oyhQ&feature=related (End theme)
Ys III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBxrmB3Sdzw&p=0C4A8FC0ECF7B3A5&playnext=1&index=7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUlWlhTQISI&feature=related
Gate of Thunder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWWSoPGtQUU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBdhI1I-rI&feature=related (One of my favorite ending themes of all time)
Plus so much more non=TG stuff...
Now you see why I'm a bit frustrated? This is not my opinion. It is a FACT that game music was better before than it is now.
TBD, I have listened to pretty much all the Ys music ever released. I own numerous soundtracks and mixes. Possibly due to nostalgia, I still prefer the original soundtracks over all else. I have yet to hear the Chronicles versions, though, so who knows?

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »

Sounds like you  would like Zun alot. just avoid the fanbase like the plaque, use mace if necessary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5Bd1CztdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-3vjc95tw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE9XSVfl5KA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AHLzW4kks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgh-TL6M2pU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riXDs4IDKSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqGKrJJ43A
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:12:37 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »

You guys seem to forget that the nš1 priority when composing game music is to make it work with... the game. Criticizing the fact that the music written for a game is better when heard in the actual game than by itself is a bit weird. I'm not saying that music these days is as good as in the 90's or whatever, but whatever the time period it is never written with the objective to work outside of the context of the game. Obviously, if they are selling the ost they intend for people to listen to it on its own but as long as it works well inside the game they are doing their job well.
What I'm trying to say is that a composer shouldn't be worried if the song he's writing can stand on its own, he should only be focused on the scene in the game during which that song is going to be played. The fact that the end result isn't something that you would want to have on your ipod is a different matter entirely.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

Music can work within the game structure and not be boring as hell. Look at the Sonic games. Castlevania. Metroid. Games with great, listenable music that fits perfectly within the game. That's what I want. Not every game has to have nothing but environmental sounds in a desperate bid to be realistic. Sure, rustling leaves and gurgling brooks are great for setting a tone, but they're also boring if that's all you ever hear. I think these developers sometimes forget that they're making a 20 hour game, not a 2 hour movie. Music can make all the difference in the world.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:14:59 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: