Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332848 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Best current generation sountracks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Best current generation sountracks  (Read 2634 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »

Most game's  music get an OST release, which cost half as much to almost as much as the game they were composed for. I buy game soundtracks, heck I used to buy them alot. I  don't buy them nearly as much because the quality has gone down alot. The only composers you can depend on to put out a great soundtrack  are the ones with  the big names who have been around for a long time. I have only bought 4 osts,  Nier, Final Fantasy XIII, Xenoblade and Bayanette soundtracks within the past year. I used to buy 3 to 5x that, sometimes even more.  Most soundtracks these days are not worth a 30$ to 60$ price tag, that is what Grim is pointing out.
Great music in games have died off with xbox360 era. They are too busy being focused on making movie like soundtracks. Half of it doesn't even sound good in game its just asmospheric. Theme based muisc is going the way of the dodo.

edit: Most of your best soundtracks these days are on the DS and PSP.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:22:34 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »

Music can work within the game structure and not be boring as hell. Look at the Sonic games. Castlevania. Metroid. Games with great, listenable music that fits perfectly within the game. That's what I want. Not every game has to have nothing but environmental sounds in a desperate bid to be realistic. Sure, rustling leaves and gurgling brooks are great for setting a tone, but they're also boring if that's all you ever hear. I think these developers sometimes forget that they're making a 20 hour game, not a 2 hour movie. Music can make all the difference in the world.

Yeah but you don't really see games like those anymore do you? Like it or not games are a lot like movies these days, they are always trying to evoke some kind of emotion, there's always a ton of dialogue and cutscenes that require atmospheric music. You can't just write a catchy tune and a slap it on a level untill the player finishes it. The music has changed along with game design I guess.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »

Music can work within the game structure and not be boring as hell. Look at the Sonic games. Castlevania. Metroid. Games with great, listenable music that fits perfectly within the game. That's what I want. Not every game has to have nothing but environmental sounds in a desperate bid to be realistic. Sure, rustling leaves and gurgling brooks are great for setting a tone, but they're also boring if that's all you ever hear. I think these developers sometimes forget that they're making a 20 hour game, not a 2 hour movie. Music can make all the difference in the world.

Yeah but you don't really see games like those anymore do you? Like it or not games are a lot like movies these days, they are always trying to evoke some kind of emotion, there's always a ton of dialogue and cutscenes that require atmospheric music. You can't just write a catchy tune and a slap it on a level untill the player finishes it. The music has changed along with game design I guess.
I know. I know. They don't call me the Dark Lord of Nostalgia for nothing. Ok, no one actually calls me that. But they should, dammit!
*Puts on his Skeleton Warriors OST*

Guess I'll just enjoy the rare game that actually DOES have a decent soundtrack. I just started getting into FFXIII, and I quite like the music.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 03:43:58 AM »

-Valkyria Chronicles
-Oblivion
-Infinite Undiscovery
-Tales of Vesperia
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Resonance of Fate

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »

How can someone on here have listed Xenoblade when the game isn't even out yet?

I haven't seen Eternal Sonata or Enchanted Arms mentioned and I liked both those soundtracks.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

The game's been out since June in Japan.

As is the soundtrack.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »

The Void.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:20 PM »

The game's been out since June in Japan.

As is the soundtrack.

D'oh.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:48 PM »

I need to listen to my copy of Xenoblade.  Sucks that Mitsuda and Shimomura are not credited for alot of the soundtrack.

Currently Playing-Xenoblade Chronicles
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: