Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 07:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327140 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How's Fallout 3's DLC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How's Fallout 3's DLC?  (Read 2019 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »

Was going to go out and pick up another RPG for my freshly traded Xbox360  but that got canceled...so now I have 48hours to wait and figured I might as well get some more feedback before I make my choice. I've watched/read reviews for the RPGs on the console and originally was debating between Record of Agarest War, Star Ocean, and Fallout3 GOTY version. Then I saw the sausage scene and that ruined any desire to play Agarest. XD

So now it's mostly between Star Ocean and Fallout 3. The big "this or that" factor for me is F3's DLC. I played F3 when it originally came out and had a moderately good time with it. The ending kinda left a sour taste in my mouth but it wasn't a bad experience overall. But now that they have 5 DLCs with what sounds like 2 FPS-style add ons, 2 Side-Story add ons, and a Post-Game+ so to speak, how does it hold up from the perspective of the average gamer?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »

Anchorage kinda let me down and I didn't buy any more until they were on sale for $5, but I'm inclined to think that'd still be the better choice. That, and if you plan to get a PS3 ever you can just get Star Ocean on that instead and eliminate/reduce some of the weaker parts of the game like the tedious end game disc swapping and the bad VA (you can switch to Japanese, so you can at least not actually understand what they're saying.)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »

Having the "post-game +" content makes all the difference in the world for Fallout 3.  I <3 that game so much. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »

The Pitt, broken steel and point lookout are great. Broken steel fixes that ridiculous ending and the other 2 are very good. Ancorage has very limited gameplay and is very short, mothership zeta is worth checking out but not as good as the pitt or point lookout.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »

Funny, my cousin said me the one he really loved was Mothership Zeta but I'm not sure. I loved the game but never went into the DLCs, I spent so much time doing side quests that I didn't even finish the game, just like Oblivion.
My other cousin said the thing he liked a lot was in one of the DLCs when you get an armor that works just like the Predator suit.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »

Haha - I can't tell you how many hours I spent in Fallout 3 before I even got around to doing the very first quests, Farron.  But that's part of why I realize I liked it - I was able to play and play and play, and I still had fun, even though I wasn't trying to move forward.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »

The Pitt, broken steel and point lookout are great. Broken steel fixes that ridiculous ending and the other 2 are very good. Ancorage has very limited gameplay and is very short, mothership zeta is worth checking out but not as good as the pitt or point lookout.

That sums it up right.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »

To the average gamer, the Fallout 3 content with the DLC will hold you over a very long time. Anchorage and Zeta are the weakest of the bunch, but by no means awful. Fallout 3 is a great game that you should try anyway.

But to be honest, you should just wait to get Fallout New Vegas since you are playing on a console. The reason is because, New Vegas is looking to have more content and features than Fallout 3.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »

The console versions of fallout 3 are nothing to write home about though the 360 version is clearly the best of the 2. Lets hope that NV makes a better use of the hardware, rage and crysis 2 are looking very hot on the consoles.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

I love Fallout 3.  <3.  I've played it 100% on PC and 360, including all the expansions.  The Pitt and Point Lookout are the most fun, Anchorage has some good items in it and doesn't take too long to beat.  If you're looking to save yourself some cash, find the Game of the Year edition somewhere and just use the 2nd disc to install all the expansions.  Borrow it from a friend, rent it, buy it used from Gamestop and return it within 7 days.  Plenty of options, especially if you hate being a sucker and paying for DLC.  :P

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »

fallout is the rpg that non rpg players love. looks like just another fps to me.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »

fallout is the rpg that non rpg players love. looks like just another fps to me.

Yeah, except it's not.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »

You need to stop doing this.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

Of course it is.Fallout 3 is an FPS with RPG elements which is why I loved it.I'm sick of pure FPS games so Fallout 3 was welcomed by me.FPS games should be more like RPGs and RPGs should be more like RPGs and less like FPS games.

ttocs

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »

Fallout 3 is a great RPG that also has a shooting mechanic.  People say it's a FPS, which it is to a certain degree, but only because you can shoot a weapon in first person.  The game is an RPG through and through but the non FPS players out there say Fallout 3 is one as well.  Have you tried playing Fallout 3 without using VATS?  You'll soon realize that the shooting mechanic isn't that great.  VATS is there for a reason.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: