Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 03:48:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth  (Read 15054 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:03:35 PM »

Anyone else pick this up for whatever reason? I already have VP, but my first disc has a bit of damage on the label side, and I'm worried I'd eventually reach a point where I can't progress further - the bonus dungeons won't load up at all, and it occassionally tries to load up the voices indefinitely, effectively locking up.

Liking it so far, unsurprisingly. But a bunch of little issues bug me, but at the same time some that I was worried about, ala the sprites looking like crap and the loading, aren't as bad as I thought - the sprites look great as long as it's not zoomed in. And the CGI movies look great, though I'm disappointed that the original opening seems to be missing, or at least needs to be unlocked. But honestly, the style of the artwork translates better to CGI than traditional animation - I can't imagine it being half as detailed as the in-game artwork.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:31:35 PM »

I recently sold my PS version of Valkyrie Profile, so chances are good that I'll be picking this up eventually . . . maybe the next time I have an excess of cash to burn.

Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:59:11 PM »

I own two VP's for the PS1, and the PSP one.  The PS1 version is far superior, in my opinion.  I hate the blurriness and load times of my PSP version. D=
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »

i'll pass since i dont even own a psp and even if i did playing rpg's on portable systems that dont have a gameboy player-like device sucks.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
I own two VP's for the PS1, and the PSP one.  The PS1 version is far superior, in my opinion.  I hate the blurriness and load times of my PSP version. D=

There are load times? I hardly notice....seriously.

Love it.....havent played VP in about three years or so, so it's nice to play.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »

The only load times I've noticed are the ones for the menu, and they're rather minimal compared to most PSP games.  I never played the original VP: Lenneth, so the sprites look fine for me.

RPGFan review will be up tonight or tomorrow.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »

Playing more and having reached chapter 2, it's honestly not that great of a port. Random slow down (either sloopy programming, or the PSP sucks at 2D parallax), the aforementioned loading (not just loading menus, but character portraits/voices during cutscenes, and even when /traps/ are triggered), the sprites being overly fuzzy when zoomed in (maybe it's preferred to being just pixalated, but I think I'd prefer that), which seems to be tied into some of the random slow down mentioned before...

Still though, most loads are only a second or two and none of the new problems make the game unplayable, and A. it's still better than getting the game off eBay, and B. in many ways is better than I had expected. It doesn't bug me as much as FFVI/CT's loading, even though those were more consistant, probably because this was originally a disc based game that needed loading anyway. I'd say anyone whose never played it and wants to, or needs to replace their copy should buy it ASAP. But if you have a fully functional copy of the original, the only real reasons to get this are to support SE, make sure this doesn't become obscenely rare and sell for over a hundred like the original release, and to see the new movies on your PSP. Those movies are the only new addition, and outside of the movies there's no new dubbing/translation, and it seems some of the american additions to the original release are gone from this release - characters HAVE to be in your party if you want to change equipment/spend skill points. And if you only care about the movies, you can probably find them easily elsewhere.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »

it's still better than getting the game off eBay

I keep trying to get a copy for no more then $100...  No luck.  I might just break down and get a PSP.
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »

Just picked it up yesterday, and just got around playing for about 3 hours today. I never got to play the original, so this is like a brand new experience to me. Anyways, I'm loving this game, and I can't believe I missed out on this back in 2000(or was it 1999?). Anyways, I can't compare it to the original, but I think it's great, if you can look over some very brief loading and somewhat blurry sprites. Oh, and the CG is great.

I recommend picking this up.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 06:37:27 PM »

Ok, I've seen one way where the loading/performance issues can in fact harm gameplay - spell loading. Sometimes I'll cast a spell, and start off the other attacks as normal, but then it'll come late because it was loading the effects, thus screwing up my attack. Of course, it's best to fire off a spell first, so it's probably just best to wait until you see it start, then have everyone attack.

And man, I'm an idiot - I ignored the topic that already existed.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »

Damn. I've been on the fence with this one since I don't want to use the original more than I already have. Does the slowdown happen a lot whenever using spells in battles, I assume? Hearing about this and the blurriness makes me less willing to grab this one right away.

I probably will though... My game buying weakness will do me in someday. Just hopefully not this upcoming fall/winter. :9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 10:37:37 PM »

CDs aren't VHS tapes - there's no reason to not simply play the original game, and just make damn sure it gets back in whatever you're using to store it in when you're through.

But, if you still don't want to take it out, and really want to play VP, yeah. Probably worth it.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 11:08:05 PM »

True, but even CDs can acquire wear-and-tear over the years from so many frequent uses. I simply like to keep my games in their best condition, and VP and Xenogears have seen a lot of play usage over the years. Even with meticulous care, my VP disc does have some visible yet slight scratches.

I'll likely pick it up tomorrow. I wish I could say I've put as much stress on my PSP as I have VP/Xenogears, but that's sadly not the case. :(
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 10:22:46 AM »

That's always a problem with PlayStation games. In particular with games that take several dozen of hours to complete, you simply can't avoid those light scratches on the disc's surface. I'm not sure about the last PlayStation models and the PlayStation One, but at least up to the 7500 series, PlayStations tend to scratch discs.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 03:32:23 AM »

I'm playing Lenneth right now, and I'm still on the first dungeon--so far, it's pretty fun. Overall, I'm happy about the load times--there's nothing irritable. The voice acting is what I'm not crazy about. It sounds like I'm playing a corny PC RPG set in the medieval times. Still, nothing unbearable.

Here's my current gripe about the game itself: I'm still somewhat confused on how to equip the most effective weapons and armor on your characters--it doesn't show you the status effects it'll have on your characters' status. (ie: offense and defense going up or down) Unless I'm blind, and it does show you that somewhere.

Another gripe are the lack of enemies in dungeons--while there are quite a few spread out amongst the place, I would have liked for them to re-appear when you left a certain area. The reason being I enjoy leveling up for awhile, and as it stands now, leveling your characters seems to be limited.

Also, I hope I'll be able to get a steady flow of materialize points throughout the game, as I need them to buy equipment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: