Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 10:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338429 Posts in 13854 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth  (Read 15200 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 03:43:46 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
Unless I'm blind, and it does show you that somewhere.

Yup, it shows. Notice your character stats on the top right? When you go to equip something and highlight the weapon/armor, it'll show in the top right the stats in a second column and how they're effected. If you want to see the  raw item stats, press Triangle then Square if they're not showing. If you mean something else entirely... Well, I can't help you.

Another gripe are the lack of enemies in dungeons--while there are quite a few spread out amongst the place, I would have liked for them to re-appear when you left a certain area.

If you do only what's required (which I wouldn't recommand - it's good to head to the towns of where you get characters to find things of their's you can take),  you only use up half of your periods in a chapter - giving you plenty of time to revisit and clear dungeons again. Nevertheless, outside of a few late game dungeons, you're still highly limited, and it requires tediously going through an entire dungeon over and over. However, it can get tough later on when you're underleveled, so best to take every oppurtunity you can, and at least give them or two extra run throughs.

Another note: Look on GameFaqs and read their 'best ending' faq for the PSX version. The names are the japanese versions, but they're close to the english ones, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out. And there's a translation differences faq if any are baffling. I'd recommand looking ASAP unless you truly intend to replay right afterwards - hell, look if you're on the fence, there's some things that you may do casually that'll screw your chances for the best ending, like I did the first time.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 04:12:21 AM »

Yup, it shows. Notice your character stats on the top right? When you go to equip something and highlight the weapon/armor, it'll show in the top right the stats in a second column and how they're effected. If you want to see the raw item stats, press Triangle then Square if they're not showing. If you mean something else entirely... Well, I can't help you.

It doesn't show how they're effected when obtaining new weapons/armor in the Divine Item option, though, right ? That's what I was referring to.

I can view the status changes when I want to equip something in the Equipment option. That's all fine.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 04:16:58 AM »

Yup, it shows. Notice your character stats on the top right? When you go to equip something and highlight the weapon/armor, it'll show in the top right the stats in a second column and how they're effected. If you want to see the raw item stats, press Triangle then Square if they're not showing. If you mean something else entirely... Well, I can't help you.

It doesn't show how they're effected when obtaining new weapons/armor in the Divine Item option, though, right ? That's what I was referring to.

I can view the status changes when I want to equip something in the Equipment option. That's all fine.

Oh, then you'll have to do your homework I guess. I swore something like that was in the PSX version, but I might be remembering wrong. But then again, they added some new things to the original PSX US release, two or so FMVs as well minor modifications like letting you change everyone's armor and not just those in the immediate party, alerting you to your skills being unequipped if you switched to a bow or sword on Lenneth, and maybe some other crap I'm forgetting. I know you can toggle characters in the equipment screen with one of the L/R sets and /sort your inventory/, though those probably weren't US specific features. So, I guess showing stat changes when buying stuff might've been in that release too.

Edit: I do think the US FMVs were kept though, I watched one at the beginning that fit the description, the opening gates.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 12:02:21 AM »

Review is up, if a bit late.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 01:12:13 AM »

Good review John. If you want to see just how the blurriness is in comparison to the original, it's akin to turning on the texture smoothing on the PS2 when playing PSX games. Good examples to use this for are games like DWVII, Xenogears, or Persona 2, where simply facing left or right will show you the difference between filtered and unfiltered, likely using the system's capabilities to flip the texture and making the PS2 think it's a polygon, or something. In the case of VP:L, I /think/ it turns on whenever the sprite is zoomed in on, but is off otherwise. That, or just unnoticeable and thus a non-issue.

Agreed fully on the save system - I didn't realize just how horrible it was until I started playing it again. They could have, at the very least, added beginning and middle save points, and if they needed to balance the ability to Materilize items and crap, then just introduce save points that only save. Unfortunately, it seems too many RPGs neglect the concept of quick saving on portables, and if ToE had a traditional save system from the start, it'd probably be having the same problems.

Edit: Now that I think about it, another good example for seeing the difference between blurred and not blurred is... To just look at the text in a cutscene or when talking to someone, then the text in the menus. Honestly, I don't get why they couldn't be bothered to put in the text normally for either version.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 10:49:17 AM »

I, personally, don't really like the review.  Mainly how it is written.  I really hate it when people talk first-person in their reviews.  I probably would have given the game a 79% myself, as there are many problems with it, but I could see where a person who has not played the original would give it a higher score.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 10:54:47 AM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
I, personally, don't really like the review.  Mainly how it is written.  I really hate it when people talk first-person in their reviews.  I probably would have given the game a 79% myself, as there are many problems with it, but I could see where a person who has not played the original would give it a higher score.

I really dont like how your review is written in the first person.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »

There are a grand total of five sentences that are written in the first person - I keep it to a minimum in the review; there are certain things that simply can't be written by referring to yourself as a hypothetical 'one' without seeming rather awkward.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

First of all, that is an extremely lame attempt to insult me, and to make yourself look like a suckup.

Second of all, if I were to actually write a review about his review, I wouldn't have done it in first person.  There is a difference between a quick reaction, and a review.  Learn that.

And you may have only have talked a few sentences in first-person, but there are other ways to approach a review without using first-person at all.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »

I'm curious as to why it's a problem to write a review in first person. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me since a review's about getting information/opinions on a game, but I'm not an expert at reviews.

Edit: Also, some comments after playing the PSX version again...

Graphics honestly look better on a whole on the PSP but my TV, or at least the settings I'm using, could just suck for VP. I think the blurring, while obnoxious when zoomed in on a sprite, subtlely makes them look better from a distance; that however could also simply be the PSP's screen size combineded with the sprite's normal resolution.

In fact, despite the slow down issues when exploring, it seems better in some areas, ala using the PWS moves in combat. Arngrim's caused slowdown on the PSX,  but I couldn't notice any on the PSP. Not only that, but he actually consistantly said his lines at the right time, but on the PSX the final line was delayed, if not outright skipped.

On the other hand, the frame rate in the PSX version for combat seems to be perfectly smooth... But it looks like it goes at 60 on the PSX, and 30 on the PSP: being kept at 30 and remaining completely consistant is probably the better option.

I'm curious to find out if simple options like being able to sort the inventory and switch characters with the shoulder buttons were exclusive to the US PSX release or if tri-Ace/TOSE really blundered and removed them, despite the buttons that used them still being there. I know that being able to go through everyone's inventory was unique to the US release though, but I can't imagine Sort being just completely ignored for the original release. But then, it's not in /this/, so who knows. At any rate, I'm starting to get really annoyed at going through a disorganized inventory without any ability to do something as basic as moving items around on the list.

As for being able to see how equipment works on a character while shopping: I was remembering wrong. Never was in the PSX version. :P
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 10:18:33 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

In fact, despite the slow down issues when exploring,

I became borderline insane with Lezard's tower....

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 02:59:33 AM »

First of all, that is an extremely lame attempt to insult me, and to make yourself look like a suckup.

Sorry, but your attempt to criticize John's review asked for this kind of response. As Eusis already pointed out, a review is supposed to offer information about the game and then outline the writer's impression. A game review is definitely not a scientific paper where referring to oneself as "I" would be considered problematic. Hell, I suppose most reviews (be it on this site or for instance IGN) do include some first-person elements. After all the author is writing about his impressions and not just presenting facts (like in a preview).
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 03:14:47 AM »

I really hate it when people talk first-person in their reviews.

Then leave.

And don't read reviews on the internet.

Or most magazines.

IMO John's review was excellent.

make yourself look like a suckup.

Better than being a dick who waltzes into a forum simply to bash a person for using the pronoun "I".

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 12:02:20 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

Second of all, if I were to actually write a review about his review, I wouldn't have done it in first person.  There is a difference between a quick reaction, and a review.  Learn that.

And you may have only have talked a few sentences in first-person, but there are other ways to approach a review without using first-person at all.

Personal taste aside, there's no literary standard in media which forbids any piece of personal opinion be written in the first person, save if it's a formal document, and even then there are exceptions. This is by no means a formal document. :P If this were a preview, the rules might be a bit different, as a preview tends to be synthesis and delivery of unbiased information. Here, the review serves as an opinion. A quick reaction and a review are only formally separated by length.

If I may second Pat:

GTFO
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 01:11:44 PM »

Someone took their high school English teacher too seriously. First-person, when used correctly, can make an essay, news story, or review better by personalizing whatever it is you're writing about. I often use first-person when writing essays for school and my professors never have any problems with it. It should be avoided and kept to a minimum, but it can look good in whatever it is someone is writing.

I see no problem with the first-person usage in John's review. In fact, I think you're nitpicking because you don't agree with the review's content yet couldn't find any problems you could dispute aside from a personal preference in writing style.

Whoo!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: