Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:01:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340923 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth  (Read 15288 times)
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »

After reading all of the comments, my question is this: Would you suggest dishing out $100 for the PS1 version or going for the PSP version?  I don't have a PSP and I don't really think I would buy any other games anytime soon, but there are games down the line I might want.  From the comments, it looks like the PS1 version is better except for cutscenes. . . but you can always download those to see them.

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 03:25:03 PM »

What they really should have done is bundled VP together with VP2. VP can't be that big of a game, I bet it could have fit on the DVD that VP 2 is on, or they could have made it two discs. They just wanted to make more money. =/

Unless you already have a PSP, there's really no reason to go out and buy one for this game. I got a used copy of VP off ebay for $40, which I ended up reselling for $65.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 04:24:23 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
I see no problem with the first-person usage in John's review. In fact, I think you're nitpicking because you don't agree with the review's content yet couldn't find any problems you could dispute aside from a personal preference in writing style.

Whoo!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
What they really should have done is bundled VP together with VP2. VP can't be that big of a game, I bet it could have fit on the DVD that VP 2 is on, or they could have made it two discs. They just wanted to make more money. =/

VP is likely around a gig - you can't just compare what your computer reports though since it reuses a lot of stuff, though I guess if you have a way to check the size of a UMD, and can weed out the movies, that'd give one a good idea of how big they really are. Anyway, that'll have to be saved for the PS3 and a VP3 (Valkyrie Profile: Hrist? That'd be an interesting change compared to most RPGs), as the blu-ray format is better for casually throwing extra games on and it wouldn't surprise me if Silmeria's already using up most of the DVD.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 02:43:55 PM »

I finally got VP Lenneth (although I own the PS1 version) and I'm definitely happy with my purchase.  I barely noticed any difference in the load times, since I've heard some complaints about that.  The new CG cinemas are nice and definitely give it an advantage over the PS1 version.  

Originally, I wasn't too sure about buying a PS1 port for PSP, but this is definitely the best RPG I've played on any handheld (FFIV didn't translate as well to GBA).  I now want to import Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2006, 07:11:58 PM »

Mana Knight: While I can't speak for BoF3, Tales of Eternia is pretty much a flawless port, best I can tell.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2006, 07:53:26 PM »

ToE has similar blurry issues to VP, but VP pretty much swings between 'zoomed it and very blurred' and 'zoomed out and perfect looking'. ToE is sorta in the middle ground there, but with zero performance lose. It is probably more flawed in a way - voice acting is delayed, and as such remains out of sync for movies/text boxes. But since there's only one movie in the whole game (the intro) where that matters, and text boxes aren't a big deal, it's largely not an issue. Plus there's no discernable load time aside from those voices and one odd situation in the beginning. Overall, a very solid port, and more consistant than VP's.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2006, 09:36:18 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Mana Knight: While I can't speak for BoF3, Tales of Eternia is pretty much a flawless port, best I can tell.

-John
I've heard about ToE.  Although it's definitely an RPG I like, I'm not as sure about buying a PSP version of it, since I own two copies of it on PS1.  But, I do play my PSP often and have it around often, so I might beat it if I buy it for PSP (I was only 7 hours in the PS1 version, until I got stuck and forgot what to do).

I heard BoFIII has some of the blurry issues and the noticeable loading times, but the PS1 copy I have is used (Kind of scratched up and missing instructions/packaging), so I'd just buy it anyway.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2006, 09:39:30 PM »

BoFIII has my interest because 1. I never beat the original game, though I came damn close, 2. I really liked it, and 3. I've got 1 and 2 as portable titles - may as well get III. Dunno if I really want to play IV though.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
BoFIII has my interest because 1. I never beat the original game, though I came damn close, 2. I really liked it, and 3. I've got 1 and 2 as portable titles - may as well get III. Dunno if I really want to play IV though.

I love both III and IV. Although, the general opinion of those games is that they sucked.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2006, 02:49:47 AM »

I just got this yesterday and started playing it today. I don't see any real technical problems with the game beyond that I find it a tad hard to control from time to time. Most of my issues are just personal ones like how tri-ace seems to take forever to get to a point or the beginning of their games seem to go on and on forever without any real tutorial beyond the manual. I was impressed how good it looks and I don't understand the complaining I hear about the psp graphics everything I have ever seen looked great fro a system that is just a tad thicker than a notebook (the real kind with paper). I am hoping that once I get passed the beginning slump of it I will get to ignore the horrible voice acting and enjoy the game. Until then I am just frustrated with a whole bunch of game knowledge I don't really understand (mostly because I haven't played the oringal version I guess) and a battle system I like quite a bit.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2006, 04:19:35 AM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
I love both III and IV. Although, the general opinion of those games is that they sucked.

The general opinion seems to be that no one can agree outside of 1 being at least one of the weakest. I've seen people who didn't like the SNES ones but the PSX ones, people that like IV but not III, or III but not IV (myself and the Hardcore Gaming 101 guy), and V... Not only should that probably not be factored in to being so different, but thanks to what I just said it will only appeal to BoF fans if it's style and gameplay appeals to them as well.

As for VP:L: It's impressive for a portable machine... until you factor in that it's also perfectly capable of nearly-PS2 graphics in that system as well, and that every spec of the PSP is superior to the original PSX outside of button count and resolution, and the latter only applies for high res PSX graphics - the normal resolution, or at least the minimum resolution, easily fits into the PSP screen. That can be seen when comparing VP:L with VP for any area that's more than a screen wide - in fact, it's only zoomed in for areas there were only a screen wide on the PSX because the screen is /too big/ now, so they want it to be consistantly wide screen and not have odd, stand out areas that don't fill the screen. I think it still stands out poorly but whatever.

So while it's not a horrible port that ruins the game, it is certainly /not/ a good one either. If PS2 games can be ported near-flawlessly and PSX games apparantly being easy enough to emulate that they can start selling them in a new download service, then the PSP port could've had an extra month or two to be fine tuned and been near-perfect and not simply serviceable.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2006, 09:45:41 AM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
First of all, that is an extremely lame attempt to insult me, and to make yourself look like a suckup.

Second of all, if I were to actually write a review about his review, I wouldn't have done it in first person.  There is a difference between a quick reaction, and a review.  Learn that.

And you may have only have talked a few sentences in first-person, but there are other ways to approach a review without using first-person at all.

Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2006, 05:19:34 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
First of all, that is an extremely lame attempt to insult me, and to make yourself look like a suckup.

Second of all, if I were to actually write a review about his review, I wouldn't have done it in first person.  There is a difference between a quick reaction, and a review.  Learn that.

And you may have only have talked a few sentences in first-person, but there are other ways to approach a review without using first-person at all.

That's called harassment, and I'll ask you to stop right now, please.  Thank you.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2006, 05:26:50 PM »

i thought it was funny but.... back on topic

original VP >>>>>>>>> VP:L

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: