Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332865 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Watch out! Lord of Arcana is a BRUTAL Action-RPG...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Watch out! Lord of Arcana is a BRUTAL Action-RPG...  (Read 2035 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 03:29:37 AM »

Since we're talking about monster hunter, I've been thinking about getting into it but every time I do research on it, I'm unable to find anything like a story in any games so is it pretty much all fighting without story?

Monster Hunter is pretty much the son of Street Fighter II if you think about it. It's awesome and you don't really need an excuse to kill shit like crazy but the game still give you "Quests" as an excuse. The entire charm of the franchise is in his "old fashioned" design as a game (and you know, old school video game design > new video games).

That's how I see the whole franchise anyway.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 03:30:37 AM »

Yeah, there's no story. You go on missions (without any kind of plot explanation) to:

i) Collect certain things (plants or items)
ii) Kill a boss monster
iii) Kill multiple smaller ones.
iv) Occasionally some other random stuff.

It gets exceptionally difficult. Did you ever play Demon's Souls? This is much harder. I hear the Wii version (Monster Hunter Tri) is a little easier though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:32:30 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »

Monster Hunter hates you and wants you to fail... at least if you're playing alone.  My understanding is that the combat was much more balanced for multiplayer than for solo play, which is good, because it's not balanced even the tiniest bit when playing alone.

I somehow really enjoyed MH some of the time - enough to keep playing through a lot of times when I hated it.  I've put it down twice and come back to it, and I still have my copy, despite giving away or selling a lot of other games.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: