Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334632 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys Seven
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Ys Seven  (Read 8963 times)
ttocs

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:38:45 PM »

Anyone pick up Ys Seven for the PSP yesterday?  I read about it a couple months ago and decided to preorder it.  I picked it up last night and I'm enjoying it so far.  I didn't realize it was made from the ground up for the PSP and it definitely shows.  The game runs perfectly with little to no load times.  Graphics are nice as well, but nothing revolutionary.  Anyone else playing it?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »

A couple of the RPGFan staff got it yesterday, myself included.

Domestic review to come soon, alongside a review of the bonus soundtrack that comes with the LE.

Early impressions: a little different from what I was used to w/ Felghana and Ys VI. I'm far from knowing whether or not I really LOVE it. But it's definitely, definitely solid stuff. And XSEED is awesome with localization. :)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »

Got it in the mail today, I love how fast paced most Ys games are. Also some of the best loading on the PSP, it's only at the level of a competent PS2 game, with the worst of it being a few seconds of black screen. It's also nice to have the original, Falcom-developed version of a game rather than a port like we've had with each prior title.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »

I'm not too far yet, and typically the fast-paced type isn't my cup of tea (I prefer slower, more calculated, like Demon's Souls and I love old-style Survival Horror) but this is extremely fun. Also, the Limited Edition box is beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:39:17 PM by Cyril » Logged
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:27:13 PM »

The game is brilliant!! havenīt had so much fun since dissidia and The special edition package is awesome, makes it all worthwhile.
The only complaint I have from the game is that not all the npc have portraits, I remember VI and Felghana had them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »

My copy is still floating around UPS-land somewhere, since I was not home when they tried to deliver it...*sigh*

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »

My copy is still floating around UPS-land somewhere, since I was not home when they tried to deliver it...*sigh*

Buy another one!! More copies sold!

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:41:46 PM »

I will be getting it sometime soon, probably on the weekend.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:02:45 AM »

I REALLY want to play this, but thanks to being jobless I can't afford to get it right now. I might be able to get it sometime next week..
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »

I REALLY want to play this, but thanks to being jobless I can't afford to get it right now. I might be able to get it sometime next week..

Ditto this.

So many games to buy... so little monies
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »

I bought a copy on a whim and although I haven't played it yet, I've been listening to the music and it's amazing.  Not that I'm surprised, the three Ys games I've played have had terrible gameplay, but the music made me play them anyway.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »

Which 3 and what console or handheld? We got a lot of subpar entries.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »

I can only think of the recent Ys I & II for Ds and the ark of naphstim for psp.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »

Which 3 and what console or handheld? We got a lot of subpar entries.

Actually, I imagine that at worst the quality ratio is the same on both coasts. At best, we missed a good number of quality games but were spared a lot of the worst ones, especially with us getting their PSP games now.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »

Hmm, I'm about 5 hours in now and I'm actually regretting starting on normal mode.  I'm surprised at how easy it is.

The beginning of the story is a bit dull, but it's slowly starting to get more interesting, if still quite cliche.

As stated, the music is amazing.  I'm glad I bought the collector's edition if only for the CD!  Not that the artbook and map aren't beautiful as well. Also, one seller is selling the Special Edition for $40 on Amazon, so if $50 is too pricey for you, it's cheaper there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: