Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327367 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys Seven
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Ys Seven  (Read 8354 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:59:28 AM »

Which 3 and what console or handheld? We got a lot of subpar entries.

Ys 1&2 on the Turbo GraphX and Ys 3 on the SNES.

I'm not a fan of "run your sword into dudes" game systems or hyper-fast sidescrollers with poor hit detection.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »

Ys 1&2 on the Turbo GraphX and Ys 3 on the SNES.

I'm not a fan of "run your sword into dudes" game systems or hyper-fast sidescrollers with poor hit detection.

They're ancient and poor indicators for what the newer games are like since NEITHER of those descriptions match them. Give Ark of Napishtim a try (on PS2) or jump into Seven with the rest of us.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 12:59:15 AM »

I've been weighing this against Lunar, also on PSP, since I found it for $20.
did Xseed release a full soundtrack besides in that limited edition?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »

Lunar PSP drives me nuts sometimes.  Got it when it came out and I still haven't been able to finish it.  It's not a bad game, but it is slow.  Absurdly slow.  There are some serious load time issues made worse by some inane design decisions.  Enter a house...load load load load load...you find yourself in a foyer that's only a couple steps wide and contains absolutely nothing.  Walk a couple steps to actually get into the house and there's more loading!  And of course you have to go through it all again when you leave the house.  Why?!

And then there are the battles...none of them are even remotely difficult but every attack, friend or foe, is accompanied by ridiculously slow unskippable animations.  Since you set all your actions at the start of a round I find myself putting down the PSP and doing something else while I wait for it to be my turn again.  Enemies encounters are visable but given the often narrow corridors and the fact that they charge at you when you get close good luck actually avoiding them.  And if you go to a different screen even for an instant and then return everything respawns which makes exploring a pain.

Sorry about the mini rant there.  Some of these issues have been mentioned in reviews but personally I don't feel like they've been given enough emphasis.  For me, anyway, this game can be maddening to play.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »

this is odd, Ys and Lunar are both classic games but one has excellent load times and one has awful(?) load times.
both associated with Xseed too

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »

Falcom stated that Ys7 was maded taking the psp specs in mind. They probably optimized everything before releasing it.

Where are the Ys7 reviews? Psp game of the year!! if not overall game of the year!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »

I liked Y's 3 a lot. Back then there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of sidescrolling/platforming RPG's. Don't care for the early ones due to the "combat" system and I loved the look and feel of Napishtem or whatever it's called, but the constantly respawning enemies made me give up on that one early.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »

Falcom stated that Ys7 was maded taking the psp specs in mind. They probably optimized everything before releasing it.

Where are the Ys7 reviews? Psp game of the year!! if not overall game of the year!

I'd wait until awhile after the end of the year before seriously thinking about what's GotY... Even on PSP. Peace Walker and Ys Seven have been some of the best experiences I've had on the PSP, and Birth by Sleep may well surprise me. Then there's Oath in Felghana, but I don't see that displacing Ys Seven at least.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »

I think most sites (probably this one, too. . .) will be giving P3P the PSP Game of the Year.

We also have Valkyria Chronicles 2 coming out.  Whoever says the PSP has no games doesn't know what they're talking about.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »

I think most sites (probably this one, too. . .) will be giving P3P the PSP Game of the Year.

We also have Valkyria Chronicles 2 coming out.  Whoever says the PSP has no games doesn't know what they're talking about.

Probably talking about the year before Peace Walker actually. What did we have in that time period, Dissidia and Lunar: Silver Star Harmony? Dissidia's a crossover fighter with torn opinions and Lunar's a pleasant remake of a game that's probably not going to leave an impression on people who didn't play Lunar when it was newer.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »

Half-Minute Hero was PSP game of last year for me, but true enough, there was a bit of a drought last year.

Now my PSP has a huge backlog and I can't keep up.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »

Half-Minute Hero was PSP game of last year for me, but true enough, there was a bit of a drought last year.
Damn, I was thinking that came out in 2008 for some reason. Yeah, we had a few strong titles but it was a pretty poor year, and now it's picking up mainly because of niche title that probably won't sustain the system here, annoyingly enough. At least DD seems like it could be a strong safety net.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »

Y's

It's Ys, not Y's. :(

this is odd, Ys and Lunar are both classic games but one has excellent load times and one has awful(?) load times.
both associated with Xseed too

What the hell are you talking about? Ys Seven is from Nihon Falcom, Lunar is from GameArts. XSeed just localized and publish the games.

And I that's BS. I can understand why people love P3P but Ys Seven is... well, Ys! Is better by default (/joke?), not to mention that this is an original game for the system. It's not a port or a remake, and is very wierd to see good games likes this on the PSP.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:08:07 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »

I just picked up my Ys7 LE today. I'm not going to start it at this very instant, but I'll probably play it in bits, between Okami and Project Diva/Dreamy Theatre. Looking forward to playing this. I took a look at the LE and was pretty impressed. Looking forward to any other LEs XSeed plans to do.

I was planning to replay Oath in Felghana, but I think I'll just wait til XSeed releases it here. I got a lot on my plate anyways. :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:10:06 PM by Dizzy » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

And I that's BS. I can understand why people love P3P but Ys Seven is... well, Ys! Is better by default (/joke?), not to mention that this is an original game for the system. It's not a port or a remake, and is very wierd to see good games likes this on the PSP.

Huh, missed that bit. Yeah, Persona 3's a great game and probably better than the others this year, but it's nevertheless a port of a PS2 title we've received twice prior. PSP GotY would have to go to something else, at least something like Oath in Felghana would be the first time the game's seen a US release and is the kind of remake that rightfully qualifies when you remember it's really Ys III if it were developed more recently.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:09:34 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: