Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319286 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  We need more women in metal/hard rock
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: We need more women in metal/hard rock  (Read 6070 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »

I just finished ranting about how racially/sexually isolated my hometown is.  There was a hot blonde lead singer that could growl, and everyone here went nuts.  The band wasn't very good, but people freaked out because this tiny sex object was able to perform.  

There is another female metal band that is all lesbian, and they sucked too.  My gripe is that these irrelevant facts stand out against the quality of music.  Lacuna Coil is a good band.

I don't know what to say in defense of punk rock, Prime Mover.  Bad Religion?  We've already had that discussion though.

edit:  I'd never forgive myself for not mentioning Maximum the Hormone.  They are a Japanese (nu?)metal band whose drummer is female, and provides more than just backup vocals.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:39:03 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »

It doesn't help that some of the all-female metal bands in the 1990s like L7, Babes in Toyland, and Cycle Sluts From Hell were terrible.  Although it was pretty awesome when one member of L7 angrily chucked her used tampon into the crowd after the booed the band during some Lollapalooza or something.  At least the 80s had Lita Ford.  Okay and Vixen,  Vixen was a cheesy 80s metal band, but they had better songwriting than, say, L7 or the CYcle Sluts.

I approve of this nonsense!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »

Eh, I've never really thought about it as an issue, personally, but the more the merrier. I'll also mention that I actually like Arch Enemy although it did seem odd at first(I was sure that Angela was a dude until I saw a video). Lacuna Coil and L7 are also bands I'd highly recommend.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:39:29 PM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »

Another female-fronted goth-metal band that I think is really good is Shadow Play.  http://www.theshadowplay.com/

Alitia Atkins sings well and she has a very unique and exotic look. 

Morgenstern
Star-Spawn of Cthulhu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »

My girlfriend and I were talking last night. Both of us have always been big hard rock fans, and she's really getting into Power and Prog metal (especially loves Iron Maiden), but we're absolutely dumbfounded by the sheer lack of women in the hard rock and metal genre... that is, unless they're some kind of angelic vocalist that is their to create juxtaposition against the rest of the music (sorry Nightwish... you still rock). What I'm talking about is some badass female guitar gods and bass lords, and more (there are a few) really kick ass lead singers that can hold their own against the likes of Bruce Dickenson and Geoff Tate. Women are usually relegated to an exoticism in hard rock and metal, and I'm not quite so sure why. On the flip side, women are all over punk and alt rock, screaming idiotic nonsense just like all the rest of the punks. Sorry, I've always found punk to be brainless and anti-intelligent. Yet, when was the last time you saw a girl in a serious guitar duel?

So why is it that women are okay in totally chaotic aggressive music, but never seen among the elite ranks of high-musicianship?

Punk isn't my favorite genre, either, but inferring that it can only be enjoyed by mental subnormals is ignorant and a good way to start a flame war.

I don't think the gender of a mucisian lends to their music in any significant way, unless they're a vocalist. In which case, either you have a taste for aggressive female vocals, or you don't. I don't think "hard rock", as you put it, specifically needs females to remain fresh. Listen to a little song called "I Get Off" by Halestorm, and you'll find that females are just as good at delivering bland, uninspired "hard rock" licks to the masses as any man.

When I look for diversity in music, I look to the music, not the musicians.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »

I tend to think that a lot of the gothic/symphonic/whatever metal bands are sort of silly and gimmicky with their female vocalists, but then again I'm probably just being stereotypical here. I think women can fit in fine with most any genre or any instrument, since... humans are humans?

I may just be taking this as an opportunity to shamelessly namedrop some notable (to me) bands I like that are female fronted or have female members, but...

Hammers of Misfortune, the first two albums at least are FANTASTIC genre-blending slabs of conceptual heavy metal. Probably my favorite band at this moment in time.

Crystal Viper is a heavy metal band with a female vocalist, though not really operatic in the way you might think. Pretty consistently amazing band, despite the sort of awkward accent of the vocalist.

The River is slow, dirgy, and depressing doom metal. The lyrics are sort of whiny/angsty in a way, but this band is pretty great for when you're in a down mood.

some other bands come to mind, like Warlock, Znowhite, and Sentinel Beast, too.

also to respond to some stuff in this thread, I like Arch Enemy better without Angela, that is, the earlier stuff. But then again melo-death doesn't do much for me anymore besides nostalgia, so...

and that all female black metal band from japan was most likely Gallhammer.

p.s. yes I did register on an rpg forum to talk about metal

Morgenstern
Star-Spawn of Cthulhu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »

I tend to think that a lot of the gothic/symphonic/whatever metal bands are sort of silly and gimmicky with their female vocalists, but then again I'm probably just being stereotypical here. I think women can fit in fine with most any genre or any instrument, since... humans are humans?

No, you're definitely right. So-called "gothic metal" is not only horribly mis-labeled (having nothing to do with goth music but faux-goth posturing), but relies on nothing but gimmicks to differentiate itself from mainstream metal.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »

A band some people were telling me about is this metalcore band called Straight Line Stitch.  Not quite my taste, but they have some skill.  Their vocalist (who screams and does clean vocals) is a black woman and you almost never see black women doing that kind of music. 

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »

I know this is old, but a few bands I've seen this year have killer female musicians in them.  

Mistress http://www.mistressband.com are a "traditional" metal band from Philly whose singer, Deanna, is a damn good singer and a very charismatic frontwoman.  I've seen her band play twice this year and caught up with her at Death Fest this past weekend.  

Abnormality http://www.myspace.com/abnormality06 are a Boston area death metal band.  Mallika emits these vomit-growls that put most any male "corpsegrinder" to shame.  And I could tell that she could "sing" sing at karaoke night if she wanted to as well.

And Deanna and Mallika are two of the coolest women I've had the pleasure of meeting this year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:29:44 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:33 AM »

Liz Buckingham - Guitarist for Electric Wizard (Stoner/doom metal)
Samantha  Escarbe  Guitarist and songwriter for Virgin black (doom metal)
Sabine Edelsbacher - vocalist for Edinbridge

I could go on, but alot of the bands I would list, the female vocalist is no longer with the band or they split up.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: