Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319242 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  something we dont talk about enough
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: something we dont talk about enough  (Read 1515 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »

its rpg music. recently i've been analyzing rpg's i didnt like or got bored of but that werent inherently bad and they all share one common thread....boring as fuck battle music! suikoden V,dragon quest 8 ,tales of vesperia, grandia 3 all guilty! also i think we can agree music is an area where jrpgs have wrpgs beat and by several miles. meanwhile the rpg's i love all have music that could be considered good to great. valkyrie profile series,SRW series,ar tonelico 2 PSO series.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »

We talk about it all the time.. In the music forum.

edit: I will agree that, on a whole, JRPGs have better musical scores than WRPGs. Stuff like Mass Effect has really great moments, like the FINAL FINAL Scene of the second game which I shall not ruin here, but people will know what I'm talking about if they beat it. The Elder Scrolls has some nice music as well, though not very imposing.

Can't beat some Sakuraba and Nobou though ;)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:50:49 PM by Thoren » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:04:53 PM »

Yeah. Music tends to get talked about in the music forum. Whoda thunk it? lol. Just messing with ya.
I agree that the quality of the music can really have an effect on how much you like a game. bad music can bring a decent game down while great music can make an otherwise mediocre game into a better one.
I agree, for the most part about jrpgs having better music than Wrpgs. Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the rare exception.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »

I considered whether to move it or just lock it, but Alisha DID seem to focus mainly on battle music and there isn't a topic here already for that.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »

I find WRPGs hit more of a "grand movie moment" type of music, JRPGs focus more on a melody than orchestrations.

I love listening to video game music - especially while I'm working on some art or some homework assignments - the tune's are usually quite easy to listen to, and the lack of lyrics helps keep your mind focused.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »

I find WRPGs hit more of a "grand movie moment" type of music, JRPGs focus more on a melody than orchestrations.

I love listening to video game music - especially while I'm working on some art or some homework assignments - the tune's are usually quite easy to listen to, and the lack of lyrics helps keep your mind focused.

Actually, yeah, I agree with this. It's good bg music, and I mean that as a compliment.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:14:16 AM »

So, Alisha likes PSO music? That's awesome. :)

Here's a great arrangement of Image of a Hero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZAQNMycGQ
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »

WRPG soundtracks are approached more like film scores.  JRPG soundtracks, less so.  As for battle themes, I like when RPGs have multiple battle and boss themes.  Considering you spend at least 2/3's of your adventure in combat, the battle music has to be good.  My favorite battle theme is easily "Rise or Fall" from Phantasy Star 2.  After 92 hours of battles every 2 steps, I NEVER got tired of that music. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:42:18 AM »

Battle themes are important, but if you have something else you're gonna hear a lot because of the way the game is scripted, it's important that music doesn't suck either.

For older JRPGs, I think World Map music was very, very important. And let's all agree right now that the import FF3 NES had one of the best world map themes of its time.

Also, it's funny you (Alisha) mention Tales of Vesperia as "bad" and Valkyrie Profile as "good." Not only are we talking the same composer for the battle themes (Sakuraba), but both of those games sport a hefty number of battle themes. In fact, off the top of my head, I'd guess ToV has *more* battle themes than VP. So in terms of variety, it shouldn't get old.

Now, maybe you just don't like Vesperia's music. I guess that's fair.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »

I like Parn's descriptions of Motoi Sakuraba.  For example "a composer who mass produces music faster than the gaming community can pirate it." 

I approve of this nonsense!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »

I like Parn's descriptions of Motoi Sakuraba.  For example "a composer who mass produces music faster than the gaming community can pirate it." 

This is true.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

Battle themes are important, but if you have something else you're gonna hear a lot because of the way the game is scripted, it's important that music doesn't suck either.

For older JRPGs, I think World Map music was very, very important. And let's all agree right now that the import FF3 NES had one of the best world map themes of its time.

Also, it's funny you (Alisha) mention Tales of Vesperia as "bad" and Valkyrie Profile as "good." Not only are we talking the same composer for the battle themes (Sakuraba), but both of those games sport a hefty number of battle themes. In fact, off the top of my head, I'd guess ToV has *more* battle themes than VP. So in terms of variety, it shouldn't get old.

Now, maybe you just don't like Vesperia's music. I guess that's fair.

theres a difference between bad and boring. i'm not into hard rock but i think the guilty gear series has some great themes for fighting.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: