Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330166 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  its a good time for tactical rpgs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: its a good time for tactical rpgs  (Read 2514 times)
bum_199

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:39:07 AM »

2 games ive been waiting for both were scheduled for this summer.  i was looking forward to them because they looked to be decent tactical rpgs.  one came out in june i believe. the other wiill be out next tuesday.  the one thats been out and ive beeen playing is groteque tactics.  its unusual and low budget but actually fun in my opinion. its a little on the different side.  they wanted it to be humorous and it shows.  Probably the only tactical rpg i know of that claims to be partly inspired by the monkey island games. a link to that games site is below. after clicking on homepage there is a trailer.

http://www.grotesque-game.com/

the game that comes out next tuesday is elemental war of magic. im mainlly excited for the modding support its supposed to have.  there seems to be a lot to it. ill let the trailer below speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOEvlqnw_v8
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:58:12 AM »

Elemental I had heard of, and it does look somewhat good.

Grotesque Tactics I had never heard of, but.... IT LOOKS AWESOME! Unfortunately I probably won't get it. At 20 euros, that's around $40 for me. A little too much for an indie download game. Better price for all you Americans, I imagine.

bum_199

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »

grotesque tactics is 25 bucks here.. anyone who buys it should keep in mind its about a 15-20 hour game. know it was planned to come out as wiiware too. dont know if that happened yet. if the game does well they say they want to do a sequel. 
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »

I'm not the biggest SRPG fan, but Grotesque looks fun.  It looks like it has that sense of fun like Deathspank.  And Gravel Train's working on that RPG2, which seems like Shining Force where you walk around the field like in a "regular" RPG but engage in tactical battles. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
bum_199

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »

gravel train? not familiar with them
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »

Brand new indie developer still working on their debut title. 

http://www.graveltrain.com 

Their head guy occasionally posts here as Snaggle Toe. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
bum_199

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »

just got done googling there thread here actually....the graphics remind me of beyond oasis on sega genesis
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »

Man, I just wish Grotesque was being released in US dollars. If it was, say $25 US, I'd totally get it. It' be only around $28 AUD for me then.

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »

I've been following Elemental since it's been announced, being the Stardock fan that I am. I'm not sure how good the final product will end up being though, the feedback I've had from people playing in the last betas told me it still felt unfinished and not polished, so I'm worried.

Stardock never stopped supporting their games so in any case hthey'll be quick to patch their shit up and deal with whatever's wrong. They're great developers, but I don't think this will top Gal Civ 2 (which is, IMO, the best 4X strategy game out there, better than Civ IV even)
bum_199

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »

been wondering why i havent been able to find any reviews of grotesque tactics.  its been out a while though im not sure if its come to wiiware yet.
SnaggleToe
Indie Developer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »

Wow, I'm floored at the comparisons of Shining Force, Beyond Oasis and elsewhere in the forum, Secret of Mana. I just want to semi-shamelessly note that the title has been changed from 'RPG2' to 'Stone Age Square Battle'.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

After reading stuff about Elemental, well what I was scared of happened. The game is apparently plagued with serious bugs and glitches, some being near gamebreaking. That's really shitty, and I expected more from Stardock. I'd have prefered a delay over an incomplete product.
bum_199

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

one thing to note about elemental is stardock plans on patches and probably expansions for quite a while. still if your not sure just do your reseach as the game evolves.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 01:02:07 AM »

It's still extremely disappointing to have a game like this being released in what seems like an incomplete state. Especially from Stardock since they were the first to advocate a gamer's "right" to have a working product at launch.

I don't doubt that they'll keep supporting the game to make it better and better, and Brad Wardell himself stated he'd do it all by himself if needed, but still, this should never have happened.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »

I sort of wonder if some game concepts are just inherently unimplementable for some reason. Elemental, as far as I know, is sort of a modern incarnation of Master of Magic, which was also plagued by bugs and technical issues.

Although in a broad sense there aren't very many 4x games that I felt were really implemented right, and even fewer Heroes-esque* ones.

(Both of these strategy subgenres are staddling a line between genres. 4x games are torn between grand strategy and sim, and the Heroes-esque ones are torn between a sort of tactical, sort of grand-scale strategy and RPG. MoM and Elemental are both being pulled in a lot of directions

* I'd maybe argue that the Kohan and Warlords games were near-perfect implementations of this, except they're not. I mean, not in the sense that they're not absolutely excellent but rather Warlords is more fantasy advance wars with *some* Heroes-esque features, and Kohan is just really damn interesting and has a lot of superficial similarities to HoMM and MoM but otherwise is fairly unique.

One of the big problems with HoMM-ish games is that they sort of necessitate grind, as well, and if they're story driven and based around completing multiple missions in a linear campaign, building up your heroes and cities gets really repetitive and uninteresting fast, especially if they do something stupid like set really low caps on how many heroes you can move between missions, which is the one really big thing marring Disciples 2.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: