Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why are popular RPGs given bad reviews?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Why are popular RPGs given bad reviews?  (Read 7745 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »

I know things are subjective, but no, it didn't have terrible voice acting. The word terrible describes things like Cross Edge and Tales Games and SO4. If you didn't like it, fine, but it is not terrible.

Wait... what? You're kidding right? As far as jRPGs, Tales has some of the best VA out there. Okay, so Collette and Estell were annoying (not for their VA, for their writing), but besides that, everything else was solid. I'd go as far as saying that they're a good solid benchmark for what great VA should be.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »

I wouldn't know about Tales games I play most of them undubbed.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »

I know things are subjective, but no, it didn't have terrible voice acting. The word terrible describes things like Cross Edge and Tales Games and SO4. If you didn't like it, fine, but it is not terrible.

Wait... what? You're kidding right? As far as jRPGs, Tales has some of the best VA out there. Okay, so Collette and Estell were annoying (not for their VA, for their writing), but besides that, everything else was solid. I'd go as far as saying that they're a good solid benchmark for what great VA should be.

Well the awful writing is a detriment to the voice acting in those games, IMO.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »

I think a lot of RPGs that get mediocre reviews are very much niche titles. They lack the mass appeal to get really good reviews. Often they are experimental in some fashion or maybe "too Japanese". But for an RPG connoisseur that strangeness might be right up their alley.

I think other people have basically said this same thing. So I am in agreement.
thegamingatheist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:24 PM »

I think a lot of RPGs that get mediocre reviews are very much niche titles. They lack the mass appeal to get really good reviews. Often they are experimental in some fashion or maybe "too Japanese". But for an RPG connoisseur that strangeness might be right up their alley.

I think other people have basically said this same thing. So I am in agreement.

Should a game get a low review simply because it's a niche title? Aren't reviewers supposed to set personal tastes aside, and just review the game? Imagine if SM Galaxy was reviewed by people who don't like platformers.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »

The very nature of a review is intertwined with the opinions of the author. To tell an author to set aside his or her opinion for a review would make the review just a collection of facts about the game. If you want that you might as well go read the back of the box.

thegamingatheist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »

The very nature of a review is intertwined with the opinions of the author. To tell an author to set aside his or her opinion for a review would make the review just a collection of facts about the game. If you want that you might as well go read the back of the box.

A review should be about whether or not you think other people will like it. Not whether or not you like it. Granted it's still an opinion but at least this way there's some objectivity.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »

A review should be about whether or not you think other people will like it. Not whether or not you like it. Granted it's still an opinion but at least this way there's some objectivity.

It's a good idea to keep in mind, and it sure sounds nice on paper, but it doesn't necessarily work out in practice. Think about it, it's a game series you typically have disregarded but you get stuck reviewing it, and you give it the benefit of the doubt because it's not your thing... but what if the fanbase it's meant for doesn't like it much either? Then you just have a reviewer marking up a game more than it deserved.
thegamingatheist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »

And that's why only people who have experience with the franchise should review it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2010, 11:56:49 PM »

And that's why only people who have experience with the franchise should review it.

However you also need multiple perspectives. This is the fucking INTERNET, there's more than one source for opinions out there, it's not like you're being asked to buy multiple magazines to get the full picture here.

With that said, you should probably at least stick to people who have something of a familiarity and taste for a genre unless the game specifically touts being accessible or for newcomers, you don't want to throw someone who doesn't play Sports games on the Madden review.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »

Well, if only people who were familiar with the franchises reviewed it, they wouldn't be able to give opinions that are unbiased because of an infatuation with the subject matter. There are a lot of dud Final Fantasies that get fantastic reviews because the reviewer was too intimate with the franchise and gave it an unfair score because of past loves with earlier titles.

Just because someone is unfamiliar with the franchise doesn't mean their opinion doesn't matter, they might end up loving the game and giving comparisons and commonalities to other games the original niche fanbase might not be familiar of, and thus bringing a whole new bunch of people to the series.

Even if they say they hate it because it is of a certain genre, they are obviously not the sort of person you should be paying attention too because they are not giving it a fair review regardless. If they point out tired or ludicrous situations that JRPGs often find themselves in, or find the portrayal of epic battles unrealistic, these are fair comments but they can be just as easily disregarded by someone because they actually like that stuff.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:42 AM »

Don't forget most RPGs that are generally liked DO get good reviews. Those like Last Remnant get mixed reviews, but generally that's a love it or hate it game.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »

Sometimes I feel like certain large publications don't have a single guy on staff who actually likes JRPGs, though.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2010, 03:46:34 AM »

Sometimes I feel like certain large publications don't have a single guy on staff who actually likes JRPGs, though.

I'm not sure how that's a problem as long as you stick to the publications that do have someone that does.

Reviews should generally not be about what the writer THINKS other people will like, because it's easy to make wrong assumptions. It's best to just say what you think of the game. If you disagree with said writer, don't read his reviews. The nice thing about reviewers is that there's so many of them out there, you should find the ones you agree most often with and use them as guidelines of what games you should play and which ones you shouldn't.

tl;dr Each reviewer should be writing for the people that agree with them.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2010, 03:58:26 AM »

Also: Don't forget the inverse can easily happen. Just read up on Game Informer's Paper Mario 2 review, where it was marked down because the writer figured GI's readerbase wouldn't like the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: