Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 05:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319008 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why are popular RPGs given bad reviews?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Why are popular RPGs given bad reviews?  (Read 7741 times)
thegamingatheist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:29 AM »

In the "Best RPGs of the decade" thread a lot of people are listing some really obscure titles. A lot of the games on these lists have really bad review scores from the more mainsteam sections of the gaming press. Why is it that someone mentions Lunar 2, or Legend of Dragoon and then I go to Gamespot or Gamerankings and find out that the game has a 7.0 or worse?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »

Why are talented musicians not given the spotlight more than their vapid, saccharine friends?

Why was Firefly canceled after one season while Keeping Up with the Kardashians still haunts the airwaves.

The way of the world my friend.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:33 PM »

Why was Firefly canceled after one season

It sucked.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »

It sucked.

Liesssss. I loved it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »

Personal tastes?

Why don't you give an example of a popular RPG you think had a bad review?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:46:12 PM »

Popular with whom?  I definitely get the impression that the RPGFan crowd has different tastes than the average gamer.  But then, that's why I'm here.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »

Why is it that someone mentions Lunar 2, or Legend of Dragoon and then I go to Gamespot or Gamerankings and find out that the game has a 7.0 or worse?

There's a reason for Legend of Dragoon, the people who like it really ARE in the minority, and I don't mean in gaming period. Something like Lunar 2 did pretty well as I recall.

Keep in mind too that something like a 7-ish isn't really that bad by most standards too. I recall Ys VI averaged around 7, but it was one of the more entertaining games I've played on the PS2. Coming off of the slow as fuck Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga 2 may've helped a lot too though, especially since I didn't much like either of those games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »

It sucked.

Liesssss. I loved it.

Whedon writes soap operas with sci-fi or horror trappings. His shit is no better than Twlight.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »

I think popularity does factor into public opinion.  Final Fantasy VII is a good solid RPG on its own merits, but it's hip cool and fashionable to say that it's donkey poop.  Some people who liked the game like it less because they don't want to be associated with the majority of the fanbase.  Perhaps because they consider those fans to be "chickenheads." 

I enjoy the Lucky Star anime, but I'm quiet about it because the general Lucky Star fanbase is a bit.... yeah. 

And think about film.  Who really cares what film critics think?  If you want to see the movie, you'll see it anyway.  If film critics had their way, the vapid explodey summer blockbusters would not reign at the box office and the smaller art-house films (that nobody goes to see) would rule instead. 

Even as a critic, I try to be objective about a game and see it for what it is, but if I really like it and it tickles my mojo, my reviewer's tilt will skew in its favor.  The opposite holds true as well.  If a game is sound but I feel bleh playing it, my reviewer's tilt will skew downward.  I can't help it.  It's the human factor.  I like what I like and I'm honest about what I like.  That being said, I'm still thoroughly convinced that when it comes to Wild Arms XF, other critics must have been playing a different game than I was.  XF was a good game and really fun to play.  I still don't understand how it got such bad reviews.  Okay, the complaint was that it wasn't like FF Tactics.  Well, it's NOT FFT.  It's Wild Arms XF.  I loved it for what it was. 

I approve of this nonsense!
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »

Yeah, a lot of it seems to come from the idea that if it's popular, it must be over-rated. It just seems like the cool thing to say you love Lufia 2 but hate Final Fantasy 7. Also, a lot of people will end up playing very average RPGs, which get average scores for a reason, but play them because they are more "under ground" or what have you.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »

And speaking again as a reviewer, I find that the majority of games fall within the 70-85 range.  Think bell curve.  (We at RPGfan grade like in school: 100-90 is an A, 89-80 is a B, etc.)  So most of what I play falls into that "good but not great" probably due to the sheer volume of games I play. 

If someone who didn't play RPGs as often, maybe only play 1-2 RPGs a year, something like a Legend of Dragoon would be fresh and sexy to them because it's not such a heavy part of their gaming diet.  Whereas for me and the RPGFan community, for whom RPGs are our bread and butter, yeah, I tend to give brownie points to games that may be a little unconventional, that offer me something novel to the experience.  Of course, I remember when Persona 2: Eternal Punishment came out.  A lot of players hated it because it forced them to think differently.  This wasn't an RPG they could play on auto-pilot.  That's exactly the reason I loved it. 

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

I enjoy the Lucky Star anime, but I'm quiet about it because the general Lucky Star fanbase is a bit.... yeah. 

Hey now, I loved Lucky Star.  Actually I can't say that I've interacted with the fanbase much--just watched the show and enjoyed it--so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about...

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:24 PM »

Just making a point about the fanboy/girl type fanbase.  Like many people are soured on Final Fantasy VII because of the fanbase.  It's a fine game and you like it, but the fanbase makes you groan, sigh, or facepalm.  Lucky Star is just another example.  There are a million examples of this.  It's that sense of conflict of "I like this, but I don't want be seen as one of them."  You dig? 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »

It sucked.

Liesssss. I loved it.

Whedon writes soap operas with sci-fi or horror trappings. His shit is no better than Twlight.

You shut your whore mouth.  Seriously, "no better than Twilight?"  I'm not going to claim Whedon's stuff as the pinnacle of sci-fi writing, but it's certainly better than Twilight.  Firefly's characters are multi-dimensional and generally well-written, even if you didn't care for the show.  Twilight, on the other hand, is the adventures of Mary Sue nobody, the faceless lack of personality that inexplicably becomes the center of the universe.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »

Yes, we do not insult Whedon on RPGFan...that is a big no, no.  That Twilight comparison is so off, it's not even funny.  

Whedon has created some intense characters that at least have depth, his characters always had so many layers to them.  Angel still stands as one of my all time favorite shows because it was never about a romance - it was about redemption.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:01:06 PM by Kstar » Logged

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: