Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 10:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329969 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why are popular RPGs given bad reviews?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Why are popular RPGs given bad reviews?  (Read 8174 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »

Because RPGfans have terrible taste.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »

Just making a point about the fanboy/girl type fanbase.  Like many people are soured on Final Fantasy VII because of the fanbase.  It's a fine game and you like it, but the fanbase makes you groan, sigh, or facepalm.
You are reminding me about why I hate general fan-bases (or I guess fan-boys would be a more appropriate term). Instances when people would dislike something like say, Catherine, because it isn't a Persona 5, or a new SMT main-series installment on PS3. Or people letting nostalgia cloud judgement (or objectivity) on why they think a newer installment of a series is so much worse than an older installment, with some whack-fucking-ass reasoning. There's so many recent examples I could use, but I'm going to get a headache thinking about it, so I won't. :P
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:09:46 PM by Dizzy » Logged

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »

I'll compare the Metascores of games I've chosen like this (review score|user score and then AVG. score):-

Nocturne: 82|93 = 87.5
Persona 4: 90|92 = 91
Demon's Souls: 89|90 = 89.5
Persona 3 FES: 89|81 = 85
Final Fantasy X: 92:86 = 89
Baldur's Gate II: 95|93 = 94
Valkyria Chronicles: 86|89 = 87.5
Lost Odyssey: 78|84 = 81
Dragon Quest VIII: 89|85 = 87
Deus Ex: 90|96 = 93

Which makes Persona 4 the best JRPG of the decade and Baldur's Gate II the best WRPG of the decade from a universal meta-score standpoint. And since people in this forum are more JRPG fans than WRPG fans, I think we need to see Persona mentioned at least a few times. And I've seen a lot of people mention Persona in their posts.

Thus, from this simple research, I've concluded that the majority of RPGfans DO have a good taste in RPGs. (well, me at least). HAHAHAHA case closed.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:31:35 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »

Planescape Torment averages at 94.5

owned BG2 and every JRPG ever
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »

firefly was good dollhouse not so much. actually i've never seen firefly but i liked the movie serenity. also keep in mind i dont think any current gaming publication caters the to the hardcore rpg playing crowd. on a side note i recent aquired copies of legend of dragoon and xenogears. once i got the timing down i started to like LoD a lot but xenogears not so much. the on foot combat in xenogears seems fun but its been a while since i had any of that.....i accidently typed xenosaga about 5 times >_<

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »

Planescape Torment averages at 94.5

owned BG2 and every JRPG ever

As well it should.  Planescape: Torment is at the top of my 'best games of all time' list.  But the previous list was of games from this decade.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »

If Planescape: Torment was a viable choice, I'd definitely mention it. That game's story was excellent, but Baldur's Gate II pretty much owns it gameplay-wise.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

Hmm Planescape and Mass Effect 2 barely missing the decade..

I think this decade has been set up!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »

In the "Best RPGs of the decade" thread a lot of people are listing some really obscure titles. A lot of the games on these lists have really bad review scores from the more mainsteam sections of the gaming press. Why is it that someone mentions Lunar 2, or Legend of Dragoon and then I go to Gamespot or Gamerankings and find out that the game has a 7.0 or worse?

Lunar 2 has a 82.79% average on Gamerankings for the remake and a 90.6% average for the Sega CD version so it hardly did badly with the critics.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:09 PM »

Hmm Planescape and Mass Effect 2 barely missing the decade..

I think this decade has been set up!

If Planescape had been just released 3 weeks later, it would have gotten multiple votes on the RPGFan top 20 of the decade list (it came out on 12/12/1999).  I probably would have put it at the top of my list, and I think at least one other person would have done likewise.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »

Yes, we do not insult Whedon on RPGFan...that is a big no, no.  That Twilight comparison is so off, it's not even funny.  

Meh.l To be fair, however, I haven't read Twilight, so I can't really compare them.

However I stand by my other comments. :P

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 11:44:40 PM »

Yes, we do not insult Whedon on RPGFan...that is a big no, no.  That Twilight comparison is so off, it's not even funny.  

Meh.l To be fair, however, I haven't read Twilight, so I can't really compare them.

However I stand by my other comments. :P

You could at least explain your reasoning in detail instead of just saying that one of the most beloved cult Sci-fi shows sucks.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »

Buffy and Angel rank as my favorite shows. But, gotta be fair, before he got his own show and manned up Angel pretty much invented the sparkly vampire.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »

Buffy and Angel rank as my favorite shows. But, gotta be fair, before he got his own show and manned up Angel pretty much invented the sparkly vampire.

I can't think of any specific examples, but I know you can go way, way earlier than the late 90s. Hell, Symphony of the Night came out in Japan just ten days after Buffy started in America if Wikipedia and Gamefaqs are to be believed.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »

Sparkling vampires (OK, not literally sparkling, but that style of vampire story) are practically an entire subgenre of shoujo manga.  Honestly, when I originally heard of Twilight my first thought was that it sounded like an American take the standard shoujo manga formula.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: