Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327766 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Any RPGFans going to PAX?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any RPGFans going to PAX?  (Read 805 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

I live in Seattle so it's kind of a no-brainer for me.  Though I'll only be there on Saturday since they went and scheduled it for the same weekend as Bumbershoot again...

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else was planning on being there.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »

Any good bands at Bumbershoot this year? Last year was lame...
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »

I mainly go to Bumbershoot to find new bands.  I usually stay away from the main stage entirely.  So if I haven't heard of anyone in the lineup that's just fine with me.

But Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeroes are playing and I quite like them...but they're also on Saturday.  I bought my PAX ticket for the wrong day I guess.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »

Maybe you could put up a craigslist posting to swap with someone?  You should definitely go to PAX though, try out TOR and let us know about it!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:19 AM »

PAX report!

First, some general comments.  There were not many traditional RPGs at the show at all.  Actually, besides Dragon Age 2 (more on that below) and a couple things on handhelds I can't think of any.  There were a ton of MMORPGs, though.  I thought that was interesting since if history is any guide 90% of them will probably flop.  But anyway, I don't really play MMORPGs and they're big time sinks on the show floor (you still have to make a character and stuff first) so I didn't play any.

The Duke Nukem Forever line was amazing.  Too amazing for me to actually try the game.  I went to check it out at around 11:30 am or so (doors opened at 10) and found a gigantic line that I struggled to figure out where the end is.  Finally I asked somebody who looked like he worked there and he told me it was a 7 or 8 hour wait but they weren't letting anyone else in line.  Yeesh.

Playing Dragon Age 2 was largely assuaged my fears about the game.  It's definitely faster paced than the original but it's still Dragon Age.  Actually, I have to admit that it was a lot of fun.  It is interesting, though, that there is a definite focus on consoles this time around.  They were showing the game on PS3s and 360s but there wasn't a PC in sight.  I'll probably talk more about it later in its thread.

Deus Ex Human Revolution wins my best nonplayable demo of the show award.  I mean, they were just showing a recorded demo (of actual gameplay, though) with a person doing commentary but if they manage to pull off even half of what they say they're doing then that game is going to be absolutely amazing.

Sega clearly still has no clue how to market Yakuza games.  Yakuza 4 was there without much space devoted to it (not too surprising), but what really gets me is that the demo they were showing just had you jump straight into combat.  Just pure fighting, no story, not even a cinematic opening to the fight.  Combat is not this series' strong point.  If they just had a translated version of the demo on the Japanese PSN that would have been so much better.

Infamous 2 was quite solid and in terms of gameplay it played a lot like the first one.  In terms of looks even with the new character model I still don't think that's Cole.  The more destructable environments were cool, though, but there's still a limit to it.  One interesting difference in the game was that there did not appear to be anything like the internal battery you had in the first game limiting your stronger powers.  You could just use them at will.  I'm not sure if that's a real change or if it was just for the demo, though.

I played Killzone 3 in 3D.  The effect was pretty cool at first, but after a while I was having a lot of difficulty focusing on things and everything got blurry.  I also felt some serious eye strain afterwards.  I don't think I would use this technology if it were free, let alone pay thousands of dollars for it.  I don't know why Sony is pushing it so much.  It is not ready for the living room.

OK, that's a lie.  I know why: they want to sell expensive TVs.

I also played a bit with Playstation Move.  It seemed to work well enough, but there isn't any software for it yet that's very compelling.  I was surprised that Kinect didn't have more of a presence at this show since it's right in MS's back yard.  I only saw a couple of kinect units and they seemed to just be playing stupid dancing games.  I have no interest in stupid dancing games so I did not try it out.

Speaking of stupid dancing games, Just Dance 2 had a huge booth...yeah, nothing more to say there...

Valve was doing a demo of the co-op aspects of Portal 2.  Looks super fun, but I don't know what else to say about it.  It's Portal...with co-op.  Each player controls their own set of portals and you can do some fun things like starting somebody off in the classic infinite fall (portals on the floor and ceiling) and then change the location of the ceiling portal so they go shooting off at high speeds.

I played some Birth by Sleep.  The combat is pretty decent but I didn't spend enough time with it to say much more than that.

I also played a whole lot of Valkyria Chronicles 2 while waiting in various lines ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:43:03 AM by Kevadu » Logged

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:27:54 AM »

Thanks for the report, very informative.

Who puts Just Dance 2 at a serious gaming convention? Seriously. It's like at E3 where there was a thing about it in the Nintendo Conference.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »

Good stuff man, thanks for the update.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »

In fairness, at least Just Dance 2 was only in the conference for like a minute, whereas with Microsoft, they spent too long on the casual games. I have nothing against casual games exposure, but don't take forever on it. :P

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: