Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone playing Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone playing Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar?  (Read 1077 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »

Been itching for some harvest moon, but I know they've got a rep for cash ins without adding much to the franchise. At the same time though I've only played friends of mineral town so maybe the little stuff has added up over time.

Code:
I guess it counts as a rpg and not a misc game since it got on the front page :P
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

I've always loved harvest moon, but over the last 10 years I have no idea which ones are good to play and which suck ass
thegamingatheist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »

The first harvest moon is supposed to be the best. It's on my list of SNES games to buy.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:26:42 PM »

I would also like to know what the best ones are. The series has always interested me and I would like to give it a go, but I don't want the first one I play to be the worst one and have its name forever haunting the series for me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
thegamingatheist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »

Harvest Moon: A wonderful life, has some decent review scores. So does friends of mineral town, and the original. Now I don't know which one to pick up.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »

It depends what you want and what you're looking for...in my opinion, the best games have come to the Wii.   Rune Factory Frontier and Animal Parade have been my favorites.  The DS games have been very hit or miss.  I can't recommend Island of Happiness, and, although, Sunshine Islands fixed a lot of the problems in Island of Happiness, it still ran dry for me.  The Rune Factory games are pretty good for the DS.  I  also really liked DS Cute, but I'm a girl, so I think they were aiming to please me there, haha.  The Gamecube games were pretty great titles, too.  As others have said, A Wonderful Life was a pretty good entry (you can get a special edition for PS2).  Magical Melody also had that old school Harvest Moon feel that I enjoyed.  I'd stay away from Innocent Life, it was a huge disappointment for me.  I'd say your best bet is try to one of the games that came out for the Wii or look to get into the Rune Factory games on the DS. 

The first SNES game remains one of my favorites, because it's what introduced to me to the series - I beat it several times.  Needless to say, I hold the game highly.  Recently, I've been playing it on the VC to eventually give a VC review for the site.  Let's just say, it shows that the series has come a long way (more than I even thought before replaying the SNES game).  It feels archaic, so just keep that in mind if any of you choose to go that route.  It's still one of my favorite games that I'll always remember fondly - but it hasn't aged that well.   

Hope this helps.  I just got my copy of Grand Bazaar in the mail to review for the site.  I'll pop in with my initial impressions after I log some hours in. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »

I loved the PSX Harvest Moon - but one things I've always hated about of the titles was their lack of polish.  The games just sort of feel empty, or some instances, too hurried (I hated rushing to get all the work done).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »

The first SNES game remains one of my favorites, because it's what introduced to me to the series - I beat it several times.  Needless to say, I hold the game highly.  Recently, I've been playing it on the VC to eventually give a VC review for the site.  Let's just say, it shows that the series has come a long way (more than I even thought before replaying the SNES game).  It feels archaic, so just keep that in mind if any of you choose to go that route.  It's still one of my favorite games that I'll always remember fondly - but it hasn't aged that well.   

What did you think of the N64 version?  I always felt that the N64 was a more polished and updated version of the SNES game.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

What did you think of the N64 version?  I always felt that the N64 was a more polished and updated version of the SNES game.

You know to be completely honest the N64 game is the only Harvest Moon game I've missed out on.  I think by the time I got an N64 and wanted to get it, it was impossible to find. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »

You know to be completely honest the N64 game is the only Harvest Moon game I've missed out on.  I think by the time I got an N64 and wanted to get it, it was impossible to find. 

If you liked the SNES one, then indeed you did miss out. A lot of little improvements here and there really made for an enjoyable HM game.  Just having a backpack to store stuff in was a big plus as well.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »

I'll have to see if there is any way I can get my hands on a copy of it, because it definitely sounds like something I'd like. (Going back and playing the SNES one, the not having a backpack was one of the things that was getting on my nerves).  I wonder if it will come to VC eventually.

OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »

I loved Rune Factory Frontier and was addicted to it for a couple months.  I spent 80 hours on it.  I had never played a Harvest Moon type game before, so I'd never done the farming and dating thing in a video game, but enjoyed that part of it as much as the dungeon crawling and boss battles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: