Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile  (Read 1593 times)
Kup

« on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »

To cut a long story short - I haven't played Valkyrie Profile (or any of the other games in the series).

I'd like to hear the opinions of like-minded gamers, specifically on which version to get.  I hear the PSP version is a re-release of the original PlayStation version?  If so, which is the best version to pick up (I'm a collector and wouldn't mind forking out the extra money for the original version if need be).

My interest has come from recently playing and finishing Resonance of Fate and hearing a friend of mine tell me that I might be interested in the VP games.  I picked up VP2 for £5 last night online and even got the DS game for £9 too.

But first, my interest is in securing a copy of the first game... 

And... go discussion, go!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:42:40 AM by Kup » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »

Get it. Seriously, get it.

You could grab the PS1 version if you really want, but I'd get the PSP one personally. It's cheaper and you can take it with you.

If you don't know anything about it then just keep an open mind with the gameplay. It's awesome, but very unique.

Also, make sure you play them in order. You won't get/appreciate VP2 unless you play VP1 first. Covenant of the Plume I enjoyed too, but it's no where near as good as the others. The battles also take forever.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50:44 AM »

As far as I know, the only thing they removed in the PSP version is the anime style introduction movie. You can just go on Youtube, I recorded it on my account ;)

Valkyrie profile remains one of my favorite just because it's unique in so many ways.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »

Valkyrie Profile are one of my favorites games on PS1 and PS2. Even though I like VP2 more, VP1 is great and there are some nuances that you see on VP2 that would feel nicer if you've seen then on VP1 before.

About buying them, I'd would also go with the PSP version. It's waaaay cheaper than the rare PSX version and both are the same thing except for few movies which I think are better on the PSP.
I recall that after I "Platinumed" Resonance of Fate, a guy on my friend's list offered me to sell it to him. This game along with Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 are ones I'll be keeping forever.

Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »

Okay - the PSP version it is for a few reasons:

- It's easier to find
- It has a reasonable price tag
- I travel on a train for what seems like my entire fucking life (and breathe...)
- I must have this game... like, right now.

If you're a real collector then you will get the original PS1 version.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:14:52 PM »

Okay - the PSP version it is for a few reasons:

- It's easier to find
- It has a reasonable price tag
- I travel on a train for what seems like my entire fucking life (and breathe...)
- I must have this game... like, right now.

If you're a real collector then you will get the original PS1 version.

You trying to sell it to him or something? Screw collecting. If you're a real sensible person you'll just enjoy the game however you can get it. I think it's absurd to pay the price it costs to own the PS1 version. Just get the PSP version.

And whatever you do, don't even bother playing the first game without a walkthrough. You WANT the "A" ending, and you're not going to get it within the first two or three go-arounds without the aid of some experts. Basically, there's this one number that sits over the protagonist (some "seal" rating or something), and you have to get it to 100 before chapter 4 and then plummet it to 0 before chapter 7. Something like that. It's really freaking tricky.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »

Oh right, what the post above said.

Ending C is fun and easy too =)
Ending B just blows

Also, going for the A ending:
- Cooler gear
- Extra characters
- SERAPHIC GATE
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »

I rather enjoyed Valkyrie Profile and regret selling my PSP copy when I had to dump the system a few years back. It's one of those odd games where if you want to get technical about it you're simply grinding and dungeon crawling non-stop but it does this in a way that keeps it fresh and entertaining. The overall story is pretty fantastic too and with the constantly changing selection of characters you're bound to form a party you can get rather attached to.

But play it with a walkthrough for the A ending. I've only played through it once and got Ending B. "Blows" is an understatement. That ending was so unrewarded for the effort I put into the game that I never played it again (original PSOne version) til I found it years after it's PSP release.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »

I bought the PS1 version when it came I'm a huge fan of Viking/Norse mythology and considering it has that and has such unique and fun gameplay it's easy to see why I liked it so much.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »

I loved the first game but I never got around to playing the second. Is it more like a regular RPG? I know the soul thing is still part of the game.. and the combat is different. I'm not sure if I'd like it.

Also hows the DS game?
Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »

I loved the first game but I never got around to playing the second. Is it more like a regular RPG? I know the soul thing is still part of the game.. and the combat is different. I'm not sure if I'd like it.

Did you play Resonance of Fate? They have many similarities. I found VP2 combat system quite addictive. You can target body parts like in RoF. And just like RoF, I found that VP2 had a pretty high learning curve. Still, it's one of my favorite RPGs. I did find it more like a regular RPG.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »

Haven't played RoF yet myself.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »

I'm waiting for Gen to bring up VP2. :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: