Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338025 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Favorite Albums.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Albums.  (Read 9135 times)
Burning Dragon

mmmdugger1@wmconnect.com mmmdugger1 mike_humbug
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »

I haven't seen this thread in here, so I suppose I'll create it.  Basically, what are your favorite albums?  If you got the time, give a little reason why they're one of your favorites.

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Well, I bought it about a year ago, and I still listen to it all the time.  It's one of the few albums I can listen to and just not get bored of.  Vulgar Display of Power got me set on the path of real Metal.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

My first Maiden album I ever bought, and still my favorite from Iron Maiden.  Another album I just can't get bored of.  I'm sure all of you own this by now, so no reason to explain why it's awesome. :P

Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes

My first Iced Earth album.  Really got me in the group and started up my interest in Power Metal.

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Before I got Painkiller, I didn't particularly care for Priest, to be honest.  Most of their stuff just seemed rather... boring, but once I bought Painkiller, I quickly dismissed that thought.  I'm not sure if it's my favorite Judas Priest album (Screaming For Vengange is real good, too), but it was a big influence on me.

Metallica - Master of Puppets

OMG, METALLICA, YES.  Oddly enough, this is probably the only album from Metallica I /actually/ love.  As a matter of fact, I'm listening to it now.  

There are tons of other albums that were really influencial on me and whatnot, but those are probably the main five.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:53:32 PM »

"Live at Leeds, Deluxe Edition" by The Who, no question. I listen to that album, like, once a week, track by track. It's just fuckin' great. They just have this energy, and even without being able to see them, their live show blows my mind. I'll just sit in the dark and listen to it with ear buds, to immerse myself in it. Try it.

Now.

Umm, other than that, I don't listen to much religously. I do pop in "Early Days and Latter Days", the compilation of Led Zeppelin stuff on occasion, and I've been listening to "Show Your Bones" from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, as well as "Broken Boy Soldiers" from The Racounteurs.

Oh, I also plan to waste my paycheck on every Metric album I can dig up. The rest is for anime.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:26:22 PM »

Favorite albums?  The first one that comes to my mind is "Be The Change" by Prasanna.  It's an exquisite album.  Prasanna is an amazing guitarist who utilizes south Indian Karnatic music and western style jazz in a magical fusion, even interjecting the intensity of rock in many numbers (one of the few jazz artists who actually uses overdrive on his guitar and to great effect).  The album is one that transcends age, musical genre, everything.  If you like music in any way, shape, or form, this is a must-have album.  

There is simply no album quite like it.  The added bonus is that two of my biggest bass heroes play on it.  Victor Wooten and Alphonso Johnson.

http://www.guitarprasanna.com

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:48:03 AM »

'Foxtrot' by Genesis would have to be near the top of my all-time favorites list. It is just so strong throughout; from the opening keyboard chords from Watcher of the Skies (one of the greatest openers ever) to the incredible finale of Supper's Ready, this has to be one of the great progressive rock albums ever released. An album I'll never get sick of.

'Elegant Gypsy' by Al DiMeola is an excellent jazz-fusion album that one of my teachers introduced me to. Any guitarist that can show off such great technical ability and can still write incredible songs is a winner in my book. Mediterranean Sundance and Midnight Tango are both classics.

'An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess' is another album that deserves mention. A mellow, classical acoustic (and sometimes solo electric) and piano album, with an incredibly strong atmosphere and lush production. This album is not at all like Dream Theater; very emotional, and Jordan's playing isn't just lambchops either. Every time I hear a song from this album I can't help but get transfixed by its beauty. This is, simply put, an amazing album. Something that every music lover should hear.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 11:06:25 AM »

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle
King Diamond - Voodoo
Pink Floyd - Animals

There are plenty more than those; I'm just tired of typing. :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »

Iron Maiden - Powerslave - Aces High + 2 Minutes to Midnight x Rime of the Ancient Mariner = WIN. Although all the songs are pretty great.

Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory - The first prog-metal album I really fell in love with. I know Dream Theater can be a touchy subject with prog-metal fans, but this album just amazes me every time I hear it

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Probably my absolute favourite. It's just so so so good. I just wish there was more of it.

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle - So cheesy, but in such a fantastic way! It's just such a diverse album, with all the different instruments and styles, and every vocalist is just amazing. Plus, the cheese is just wonderful :P

Honourable mentions:

Judas Priest - Painkiller
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 02:21:15 PM »

Hmmm....This is a tough one. Here it goes:

The Clash - London Calling

This is the best thing to come out of punk rock. Though it doesn't sound like most punk albums, after really giving it a listen I realized it was absolutely genius.

The Libertines - Up The Bracket

I bought this on a whim because I knew what Rough Trade was a reference to, and it was produced by Mick Jones of the Clash. Out of everything involving the mess with Pete, this is the true gem.

I'll add them as I contemplate this more.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 06:12:25 PM »

Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line
Impaled - Mondo Medicale

Nothing else needs to be said by myself.  I'd listen to just those three albums for forever.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line
Impaled - Mondo Medicale

Nothing else needs to be said by myself.  I'd listen to just those three albums for forever.

Dude. Where's the PROG?!?!?!

I had a stupid dream

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:34:07 PM »

Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Judas Priest - Stained Class
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold as Love

I know I put two Floyd albums in, and didn't put Powerslave in over Number of the Beast, but that's my personal Top 5 Must Have list.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 12:51:26 AM »

Quote from: "Dave"

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Wow, I think you're the first person I've ever met who likes old Pink Floyd AND that album, never mind considering it a favorite.  And here I thought I was alone. :P

...I love it, but I can't considerate an all-time favorite due to fucking "Dogs of War".  I loathe that shit. :P

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 05:54:10 AM »

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a really good album, but for me it's just not as good as 'prime' Floyd.

I had a stupid dream

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 06:38:17 AM »

I'm so open to Pink Floyd that I honestly love every album, but for some reason that album has something about it that makes me outright HAVE to hear it. Learning to Fly plays and I'm compelled to let the album finish.

Wish You Were Here and DSotM do that too.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »

The only Floyd albums I don't like are Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the More OST. All the others are pretty great, even Umma Gumma!

I had a stupid dream

Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

Roger Waters is one of my favorite songwriters, but I still think A Momentary Lapse of Reason is damn good. High Hopes has to be my favorite Gilmour-era song, though.

Some more I'd like to add:
Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Pink Floyd - Animals
Marillion - Clutching at Straws
Rush - Permanent Waves
Dream Theater - Awake
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: