Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Favorite Albums.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Albums.  (Read 9086 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »

Quote from: "Nemmet"
High Hopes has to be my favorite Gilmour-era song, though.

Same here, that song is amazing. One of my favourite Pink Floyd songs period.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 12:06:31 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
Quote from: "Losfer"
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line
Impaled - Mondo Medicale

Nothing else needs to be said by myself.  I'd listen to just those three albums for forever.

Dude. Where's the PROG?!?!?!

you cant spell prog without rpg

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »

Let me get this straight.  Nobody put Led Zeppelin 4 as one of the greatest albums of all time?  That's a grave oversight, people.  Every song on that album is a certifiable classic.  That's the album with Stairway to Heaven on it.  Anyone who doesn't think Stairway is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, song ever written is a useless waste of sperm and eggs and not worth my time whatsoever.  Unless you're deaf, then you have a legitimate excuse for not having heard Stairway.  

So my tops thus far are
Led Zeppelin 4 by Led Zeppelin
Be the Change by Prasanna

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »

I thought of another one, Sonic Youth - Sister. Almost everyone I know hails Daydream Nation as their best work, but Sister just does a lot more for me.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 10:46:10 PM »

Daydream Nation was a sprawling epic that represented the attitude and culture of, well, the youth in that time period. The fact that it has impact on its side puts it on a higher level than Sister, at least in my opinion, even if some of Sister's material may be better. I mean, DN /is/ a concept album, which seperates it from Sister, which, in comparison, was more of a collection of songs.

I find a lot of Sonic Youth fans are torn between Sister and Daydream Nation anyway, so choosing either one is good with me.

My favorite albums?

Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On

An amazing work. 9 songs of complete guitar-rock brilliance. Every song has various sections to them, which makes the album feel more like a sprawling musical progression than a batch of pop songs. It's a beautiful, sometimes dark, oftentimes uplifting, all the time hummable album. Bonus points for use of cello also.

Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About

Not a very popular choice, but I have a hard time deciding. I love them all equally, but for some reason, I like this one over the others. Isaac Brock's voice and guitar playing is so raw and affecting and he writes like a trailor park philosopher, speaking to the human spirit without being higher than it. The theme of finding freedom in travelling and dissapearing doesn't depress, but entrance. MM isn't for everybody, but I find them brilliant.

Fugazi - Red Medicine

Another band whose albums are all to consistent to pick a favorite. Great. I do love RM mainly because it shows off the band's sense of humor. Being a hardcore political band, it was refreshing to hear Ian MacKaye's maniacal laugh on Birthday Pony and the lyrics "I hate the sound of guitars" on Target (the humor coming from the fact that this band has not only one of the best rythm sections, but guitar interplay as well). The songs here are some of their best and it finds them experimenting. I find myself listening to this one more than any of the rest, so I guess it's a good choice.

The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

This DC band mixes myriad influences and genres to create their innovative sound, which is at its best on this album. Travis Morrison screams, croons, wails, delivers beat poetry; everything. The rythm section is also top-notch, with Joe Eisley's fluid, everywhere at once drumming, and Axelton's virtuostic basslines giving the songs danceablitiy. Jazz, Techno, Funk, Indie Rock, Lounge, Disco, Hip-Hop, everything is thrown in. An interesting listen, and the songs are great too.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 11:56:13 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
Daydream Nation was a sprawling epic that represented the attitude and culture of, well, the youth in that time period. The fact that it has impact on its side puts it on a higher level than Sister, at least in my opinion, even if some of Sister's material may be better. I mean, DN /is/ a concept album, which seperates it from Sister, which, in comparison, was more of a collection of songs.

I find a lot of Sonic Youth fans are torn between Sister and Daydream Nation anyway, so choosing either one is good with me.

I totally understand its importance, however, I didn't live it. I can certainly relate to it, but Sister just really clicks with me. Perhaps if I was born 15 years earlier I could feel the same way about Daydream Nation.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 03:56:47 PM »

Hm.

Never heard Sister. I've only got Daydream Nation. I loves it a lot, although dunno if it's one of my favorites. What else...

Long Drive is an odd album. I'm inclined to say that TM&A is better (I can't objectively listen to Good News anymore. I used it to get through some stuff, and it's too linked to the time period I listened to it in), but while TM&A, er, is more controlled and focus, Long Drive captures SOMETHING uniquely American and very disturbing. It's more down to earth, I guess.

Let's see. Merkava pretty much hit E&I dead-on. Dunno if it's a favorite. It definitely could be. The City, however, is one of my favorite songs ever. As for Built to Spill, I think I liked........ Nothing Wrong With Love more (used to hate that till I started listening to it during the last nanowrimo :P) although its close. I mean, it's Car v. Randy Described Infinity. How am I to choose?

As for Gilmour-led Floyd, I can't say I like his vocals much at all ('cept for maybe on... Fat Old Sun and Dogs?). Too "calm british guy." That's probably why I'm not that fond of Division Bell, really.

Heh. Nemmet listed Amused to Death. I think I might consider that one a favorite. Anyway, enough commenting. Time for my own.

Roger - Amused to Death
Syd - The Madcap Laughs

I don't like Pink Floyd nearly as much as I used to (Piper, AHM, and Final Cut I still listen to sometimes, though), but these two albums never really lost it for me. Amused to Death has a lot of rockability (Bravery of Being..., What God Wants) AND really smart classical-esque arrangements. Sort of a gots a weird Sgt. Peppersness to it. As for the Madcap Laughs, its... well, I can't come up with a coherent explanation.

Guided by Voices - Alien Lanes

Propeller is close, but pound-per-pound, Alien Lanes just has more. Not saying that Propeller is worse -- really, they're about equal in quality, as far as song writing goes -- but Alien Lanes not only HAS more, the track arrangement just works better. Also, Propeller has nowhere NEAR enough Tobin.

Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld

If someone asks for an explanation of underground Japanese psych-rock... Piper is brilliant. Holy High is brilliant. Hell, the weird noise collage that goes on for 12 goddamn minutes is brilliant. And to cap it all of is this... sort-of-cover of Barrett's Dominoes, which is incredibly beautiful.

The Microphones - Mt. Eerie

I was about to say The Glow Pt. 2, but, uh, Mt. Eerie has The Universe.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Beatles - Abbey Road
Bowie - Diamond Dogs
The Verve - Urban Hymns
REM - Automatic For the Peoples
Procupine Tree - In Absentia
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow

(I don't care if it's too long. Hey Mama Wolf is the best song ever written >:()

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

Which beats out Remain in Light solely because of This Must Be the Place.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »

Heh, I'd say Randy Described Eternity is the weakest of the tracks on the album, but makes a pretty nice opener. Cars is a damn good song without context. :P

Vanguard: I understand where you're coming from, and I have a hard time deciding between Sister and Nation, but I appreciate its further importance.

More...

Microphones - The Glow, Part 2

Calvin Johnson as The Universe was priceless, but I do prefer Glow as an album. It has a better balance between structure and experiment, and has some of the most memorable moments in any music I've heard.
Chocobowie

thewild7th
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »

I have to say that mine would be...

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Only album he put out before he drowned, which makes the tragic source material even sadder.  Last Goodbye is wonderful, and his cover of Hallelujah is just as good if not better than the original.
Sigur Ros - Takk
I have no idea what they're saying, but it's pretty and the falsettos rock.
Elvenking - Wyrd
Favorite metal album, even if the lead singer dude isn't on it.
Decemberists - Picaresque
This is their best, aside from The Tain, which isn't really an album, but is worth a billion listens.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 09:29:37 AM »

I hate The Decemberists, but the rest of that is great. I do believe Jeff Buckley had an album in the works that was released after he died, though.

I've heard songs by Sigur Ros, and I love them, but I need to buy their albums and listen to them so I can list a favorite. Takk is great, but I'm curious about ( ), Von, and their sophmore album that got them all the acclaim that I will not attempt to spell. I hear that their previous efforts are better.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 02:55:23 PM »

Hm. I haven't heard takk, but I have Agaetis Byrjun, and I don't think it holds up well as an album. It has a lot of good songs, and then... a lot of really boring ones that don't go anywhere. It has this very engineered-emotion feeling to it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Chocobowie

thewild7th
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 03:33:07 PM »

I haven't really listened to (), but I think it's the one that's all in Hopelandic, the crazy made up language.  Apparently Takk is their most straightforward release, which says a lot. ^_^
I've heard the same things about Agaetis Byrjun that MeshGearFox said, so I'm kinda wary of it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 05:27:30 PM »

Well, look. A lot of people love AB, but I guess I get the feeling that it's more of a... great, but dead, album. The sort of thing you listen to once of year, silently nod and say yes to, and then shelf.

As for the canned emotions things, I know pitchfork is full of crap, but if you DO read some of their more recent articles on Sigur Ros, they sort of touch on this -- specifically, how SR albums can basically be soundtracks to anything. It's either a case of the emotion relating entirely to what the song is being paired with, which I here is more of a () and... that... one EP-thang, or in the case of Agaetis Byrjun, it just sounds like they're constructing emotions instead of... expressing them in a more genuine way. Or rather, to make the listener feel a specific, controlled emotional response without actually having any emotion to it.

That makes no fecking sense.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »

Blind Guardian- A Night At the Opera: I really like the overdubbed effect, I don't care if people say it fucks the sound up. Also it contains The Soulforged, which is my favorite song ever.

Elvenking- Wyrd: I can just listen to this one all day, it's that wonderfully addictive. Also I kinda like Kleid's vocals better than Damnagoras' but I've only heard his on The Winter Wake. When I hear Heathenreel my opinion might change. Also Elvenking is the only band I've heard so far in which I can tolerate, even enjoy, growling.

Edguy- The Hellfire Club: So I just recently got this CD but I can safely say it fits my style perfectly. It's easy to listen to, especially since the vocals are very clear, and the lead singer's voice just sounds cool. Plus there's lots and lots of falsetto.

Cat Stevens- The Very Best of Cat Stevens: I don't care if it's a greatest hits CD, It's fucking awesome. Peace Train is an awesome song, and if you don't agree with me I'll put out a fucking Fatwah on you.

Ayreon- The Human Equation: It beats out Into The Electric Castle, but only by a little bit. I just happen to like this story more.

Rhapsody- Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret: So yeah, when there's actual singing it's good, very good even, but the little insert that comes with the album that has the cover art on it and everything makes this thing win. Why? Open the book, there's fucking Christopher Lee wearing a goofy-ass crown and holding a sword. Badass. This is easily the nerdiest CD I have, but I love it all the same.

The Decemberists- The Tain: It's significantly rock out worthy. Plus it's just fun to scream at people.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 09:37:01 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
I hate The Decemberists

I do too, but it's not because they suck; rather, it's because it feels like wasted potential. For a band that produces music that feels more like a journey than music, it's just a disapointment that it's too boring to listen to a lot.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: